Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 wheel disc conversion, what master cylinder?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: 4 wheel disc conversion, what master cylinder? Reply with quote

just wondering what everyone was using as a master cylinder with their 4 wheel disc brake conversions.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock masters will work but if you upgrade to a disc master, it just has a bigger bore for more volume. The kits from Jbugs don't have a master upgrade and the one offered by Topline states specifically that you can use the existing stock dual MC. If you really feel the need to upgrade, here is one.

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1652
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a stock dual MC, with a 4lbs residual pressure valve inline to the rear from CB.
http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1130

I can't say the RPV is required but CB recommend it. Plenty of people say they are fine without it though. I dont take chances with brakes.

Although, I can say that 4wheel disc is overkill for a light car like a bug. It does look better though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t buy the master that Super shows there from CB It is China made and many of the posters in here have had a lot of trouble with China masters fresh out of the box.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of just posting what you did, direct the OP towards a specific dual MC for 4 wheel disc brakes that you think is OK for quality. Take the time to find a link if you can which would help.

What I posted was a suggestion and also stated that companies that make disc conversions or offer kits which include their own mfg'd parts, say that the stock dual MC on the car is fine. To each their own, the OP can make his own decision on what he wants to do with the info (or lack thereof) provided by people who chose to share in this thread. It's his decision to buy Chinese or whatever other brand made in another country. Would we buy Chinese? Most likely not but some are happy with it. Would all of us plaster cheap chrome on our cars? No, but that's another personal choice.

While I am not upgrading my brakes to disc, I might look at it if any of my Beetles were my DD's, which they are not. I would go 4 wheel disc if I did convert as one poster mentioned that many owners neglect the rear drums as the front discs do most of the braking. You may as well do all 4 corners and delete the extra maint. that you have to do with drums.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Super I have 4 wheel discs from aircooled.net and a stock master. It works really well, nice firm pedal and it stops on a dime.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got factory front discs with cross drilled rotors and factory master cylinder with a Volksconversions rear disc kit and my annual brake test reading is as a good as most 5-10 year old cars but I do also have a lot of rubber on the road which helps heaps.

As Jason says they are very light cars with all the weight in the back so don't need a huge brake upgrade.
jackfrosty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: 4-wheel disc brakes Reply with quote

" I dont take chances with brakes."

Wisdom, sir!

"Although, I can say that 4wheel disc is overkill for a light car like a bug. It does look better though."

Discs all around are not in any way overkill on a bug, specially if you take no chances with brakes! Ever driven through deep water with drums? They stop working for a while. Not ideal. Very Happy also, never having to worry about brake adjustment and maintenance of pivots, adjusters, and rub-points definitely kicks your brakes' predictability up a notch. BONUS!!! & they look good. Smile
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had better luck with cheap KMM Chinese M/C's than the TRW Brazilian...

I've never had a disc or drum brake combination(Type I/Type III/944) that the stock dual M/C didn't work just fine on...
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old thread, brakes have been done for a while. I went with the 20mm M/C instead of the stock 19mm M/C. I like the mountain roads, and I feel like the 20mm pushes the larger caliper hydraulics better.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What calipers did you settle on out of curiousity?
KMH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw, im running 4 wheel disc brakes and calipers from a 986 boxter s with the stock master cylinder and the stock master works just fine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: