Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to: Install power brakes into 1968-1970 Bus (Pic heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1971 bus manifold should look like this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
qball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. So I need to find another manifold. What used to connect to this little port? A different carb? Or one of the ports on the carb that has been plugged? Thanks for the info
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I not sure about your question but the port you can see under the carburetor flange is the 12mm vacuum port that Busdaddy was talking about. The power brakes in most cars, including our buses, runs off vacuum which is accessed from the engine induction system. A vacuum hose runs forward from that port to the brake booster (servo) which lives right under the driver on the front beam.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
qball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it and thanks. Busdaddy had pointed out that the image I presented of my left manifold terminus shows a nipple not for the servo's line to connect but for some other (vacuum?) connection. I can research that and find out why it's there. The center of the manifold which you show is different from mine, so perhaps when the engine was swapped the original connection on the manifold was lost so the owner just did without the power assist. The rotten remnant of the line, with what I take to be the check valve, was laying to the side in the engine compartment.
I have a pretty good grip on the system now that I read your post here where you did the conversions. I was initially intimidated by the servo and the other components and didn't want to refurbish it all. Plus, as busdaddy and kreemowheat and desertbusman might recall, I failed to just get the brakes working at all on this bus (I replaced the calipers, cylinders, lines, MC, shoes, adjusted, and bled bled bled to no avail. No pressure, no stop. This was two years ago. Then I wondered if it was absolutely necessary to put the power assist back into play in order to push the brake pedal and pressurize the lines and push the pads against the discs and the shoes against the drums and make the vehicle stop. I don't think that question was ever answered. I just didn't want to replace the assumed-nonworking servo, and the other parts (and now I know I need the manifold) involved only to find I still couldn't bleed the damn system. But I'm now determined to give it a try after reading and seeing what you did on the early Buses.
qball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject, can you comment on your setup re:isn't there a pressure regulator mounted behind the MC on the wall? I don't know if that's its proper name. It's adjustable, per manual, and was just another foreign object to me that made me hesitate to hook up the power assist on my 71. It seems that you can do without it in your setup for the early models, no?
qball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I forgot another thing, if kreemowheat is tuning in (or if anyone else knows). Way back when WW started offering new servos and the initial review was terrible. Have they succeeded with a better product since then? Or is rebuild the only way to go?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That nipple on the intake end piece originally went to the altitude compensator I believe. Most of those have long since been disconnected. The brakes will work without the booster but not very well. You should still be able to bleed them and get good pressure. You might be able to install a fitting into your current manifold like I did here.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball wrote:
And I forgot another thing, if kreemowheat is tuning in (or if anyone else knows). Way back when WW started offering new servos and the initial review was terrible. Have they succeeded with a better product since then? Or is rebuild the only way to go?

In my opinion I would rather take an original booster and send it out for rebuild. I don't know about WW bus the ones I saw listed at Bus Depot were expensive and were not a direct fit.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The ones I saw listed at Bus Depot were expensive and were not a direct fit.

Expensive compared to what? Seems quite reasonable to me. Also, the WW boosters fit the same as the originals. The ones at Bus Depot
that do not are Brazilian units designed for Brazilian busses, and require the drilling of 4 holes in the mounting plate on the axle beam.

qball wrote:
... various questions ...

So far I have seen no other reports, on thesamba or elsewhere, on the use of the WW boosters. One user here, blackivory69, made a post in another
thread recently that he had installed a WW booster 3 months ago and that it has been "working good". Perhaps you can PM him and get some more
detailed information. If you decide to go the WW route, please be sure to post up your results.

Unless your booster has severe mechanical problems, your brakes should bleed normally and stop the bus, after a fashion, with no vacuum connection
to it. Some here have reported driving with a non-functional booster for lengthy periods, and finding it acceptable. However, it's been my experience
that some find it acceptable to use brake systems that I would instantly condemn as unusable. There were front-disk brake busses outside the U.S.
that did not have boosters, but they did not use the same master cylinders as the US servo-equipped busses.

The brake pressure regulator has nothing to do with the vacuum-assist function of the booster. It simply regulates the pressure to the rear drum brakes
based on the state of deceleration and/or inclination with respect to gravity. This to avoid unnecessary lockup of the rear wheel(s) when braking. Presumably,
a drum-only brake system, as is the original subject of this thread, would not require this because the front-versus-rear pressures are balanced by design.

The correct intake manifold center section for your bus was a 1-year only part, and is really quite rare, especially if you need one with an unplugged or
unpluggable heat riser tube (and you do if your bus has the stock carburetion).

About having your booster rebuilt: I don't think it's ever been established that your booster requires such a thing. The entire rebuild industry
seems to be enshrouded with secrecy/bullshit/fly-by-nighters. There are MANY reports here on thesamba of "rebuilt" boosters failing quickly.
Perhaps if you can find a rebuilder who 1) is willing to tell you exactly what they do and what parts they replace and 2) stand behind their work with
a reasonable warranty (i.e. at least several years), that may be a good way to go.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
qball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey kreemoweet, thanks a lot. BTW, I didn't mean to hijack aeromech's nice presentation of his upfitting the non-booster to booster Buses; I just saw it and had some issues pertinent to the content.
I appreciate your info, and I addressed you particularly because I thought it was you who presented a review of a Wolfsburg West booster a few years back, wherein you ended up putting your old one back on since initially there were fit issues, and then in application you found the brakes to be unacceptably 'touchy'. Maybe it wasn't you.
Thanks for clarifying the mistake about what I called a pressure regulator; as you say, the manual clearly explains its function relative to a disc-front/drum-rear Bus.
As I told you some time ago, if I do indeed reach an end in my attempt to make this Bus brake properly, I will post it, including whether I buy a booster or have it rebuilt, etc.
And you're right: I haven't established whether my booster is bad since I haven't hooked it up. I just assume so since this Bus has been sitting for several years. Who knows? I'll start with the manifold and the lines and take it from there.

Last edited by qball on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
qball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
That nipple on the intake end piece originally went to the altitude compensator I believe. Most of those have long since been disconnected. The brakes will work without the booster but not very well. You should still be able to bleed them and get good pressure. You might be able to install a fitting into your current manifold like I did here.

Did you thread the fitting directly into the mani, or place an insert into an oversized hole? I might try this. If you could, more details of these parts would be nice, so I can be prepared. Are they auto parts, plumbing parts? That little nipple is 3/16" and the land it's in is 1/2"; maybe I could tap into that spot.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive compared to what?

Having a core rebuilt
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you thread the fitting directly into the mani, or place an insert into an oversized hole?

I drilled and tapped the manifold for the fitting and I can't remember the NPT size off hand. Maybe 3/8"?

I suppose doing this to the end piece would work if the fitting size you use is not too small. The fitting I used above is normally used in hydraulic systems and is a 37 degree flare AN male on one side and NPT on the other. I'm sure you could find a 90 degree fitting with NPT on the one side and a barbed end on the other. Be sure to use the correct power brake vacuum hose which is available at many FLAPS. Gates 27231 15/32" ID
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
qball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thanks.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The 1971 bus manifold should look like this

That's it! I'm moving to California where brake boosters and '71 manifolds grow on trees! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: How to: Install power brakes into 1968-1970 Bus (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

I'm aware I'm reviving an old thread, but it seems the appropriate place to ask my question. I've searched and searched, and have not found anyone mentioning their solution to a problem related to this conversion.

I have a 68 that I've upgraded to use the front discs from a 71, including the booster, MC, vacuum lines, etc.

Brake system is done, but then....

The stock 14" wheels do not clear the calipers. Crying or Very sad

Since several people here have done this conversion, what was your solution?

I'd like to maintain the stock appearance with my original hubcaps, but I'm willing to get over that in order to solve this.

We had an idea to get the hoops from a late bay wheel swapped onto my 5x205 centers since they have a different inside profile that was designed to clear the caliper. Problem is, they are just a little bigger then the early bay hoops, so the wheel guy said it won't work.

I'd like all 4(5) wheels to be the same. I'm not interested in having different front and back wheels. I want to be able to rotate the tires, and I'm not carrying 2 spares. Razz

I've been looking at LOTS of wheel threads. If I can't keep my original look, then it seems going with 5x112 wheels (and redrill rear drums) will be the path of least resistance. Is that what the rest of you did?

I also have an idea to get some aftermarket wheels that would facilitate having both bolt patterns drilled in the wheel. For example, I like the look of 'Empi 5-spoke' on buses, so if I get this http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32-E251B
It has the same shape they use for the 5x205 version, so I thought I could get the 2nd bolt pattern drilled in the wheels.

I'm sort of at a loss as to what my best option is.

This is one of the last details to get the bus back on the road. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

My 1968 Campmobile
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to: Install power brakes into 1968-1970 Bus (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Firstly,
I started this thread. My intention was to show how to make your stock front drum brakes work better by adding a booster. The reason I stayed with drums was to maintain the original front wheels.

You should have done the research needed to avoid your problem now.

I don't have an easy answer for you but know that my friend, Tom Powell, installed discs on his 1969 but he had to use type 1 wide fives on the front which wasn't the best.

Seems to me that the easiest thing for you to do would be to go back to drums in front and keep the booster. They work great and I've done this to several buses and haven't gotten any complaints. Drums do need more maintenance than disc brakes, no doubt. Chasing your problem sounds expensive if you need to go buying new wheels, etc.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: How to: Install power brakes into 1968-1970 Bus (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Firstly,
I started this thread. My intention was to show how to make your stock front drum brakes work better by adding a booster. The reason I stayed with drums was to maintain the original front wheels.

You should have done the research needed to avoid your problem now.

I don't have an easy answer for you but know that my friend, Tom Powell, installed discs on his 1969 but he had to use type 1 wide fives on the front which wasn't the best.

Seems to me that the easiest thing for you to do would be to go back to drums in front and keep the booster. They work great and I've done this to several buses and haven't gotten any complaints. Drums do need more maintenance than disc brakes, no doubt. Chasing your problem sounds expensive if you need to go buying new wheels, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I knew it was your thread. You have posted many things that I have learned from over the years. Thank you. Applause

I just realized you didn't change to the discs too Embarassed

I understand the boosted system will stop better, but won't the drums also provide additional improvement?

I'm sorry to have revived your thread. I didn't realize it was only about the booster part of the upgrade.

I just spoke to my mechanic. We're going to re-hoop my wheels. They came up with a solution to make it work.

Thanks again Aeromech for sharing your wisdom. Hopefully we will meet someday in our buses Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to: Install power brakes into 1968-1970 Bus (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

I think my reply came off wrong. I'm fine with you posting here. What bugs me is that you went to all that trouble before knowing what wheels you could use and that's a major blunder. I have no idea what you plan to do with your wheels but I can't believe that it's a good thing to have custom wheels that only fit your car. What happens down the road?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to: Install power brakes into 1968-1970 Bus (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I think my reply came off wrong. I'm fine with you posting here. What bugs me is that you went to all that trouble before knowing what wheels you could use and that's a major blunder. I have no idea what you plan to do with your wheels but I can't believe that it's a good thing to have custom wheels that only fit your car. What happens down the road?

Yep. It's a blunder. I don't recall ever reading about anyone else committing the same blunder. Laughing
Let's hope my post will help someone else avoid it in the future.

I'm not sure I understand the issue with the wheels.
Yes, we're making custom wheels, but these wheels would still fit any 5x205 car. We're simply changing the hoops to get the different cross section profile that allows clearance for the brake caliper. No change in offset or crazy width or anything. When they are done, you won't even be able to tell anything is different.

My only other options are switching to 5x112 late bay wheels or after market wheels.
With late bay wheels, I still have to do something in the rear to get the 5x112 bolt pattern. I also think late bay wheels look great on late bays. After looking at the rear drums again, that swirl pattern cast into them makes me think you can't drill and tap them for a 5x112 wheel. It's easier to adapt the front from 5x112 to 5x205, so I need a 'wide 5' wheel that clear the brakes. After market options will cost more than what this wheel modification will cost, and I get to keep my stock appearance.

I'll post pictures on my thread when I get some. I can post them here too if there is interest. He wants to be able to offer these wheels to other customers, so he's building jigs to make sure the wheel geometry stays perfect. Since the bus is basically ready for the road otherwise, he is going to lend me a couple late bay wheels for the front, until he can get all my new wheels welded up.

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: