Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door hinge screw removal help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Door hinge screw removal help Reply with quote

okay, doors are now off, but I had to drill out 3 screws as they would not budge. Now how does one remove whats left in the hole of the plate that is in the frame ? I dont have enough to grab with vice grips. I have 2 on the bottom (one is here just below the screw I screwed in) and 1 on the top
Hell, if those screw plates can come out, I will just get new ones. Do they ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Tdog71 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carefully drill through the center of each remaining screw with a small bit, smaller than the screw shaft. Be careful and keep the drill straight and centered. Use a slow speed and oil the bit. Work your way up till you're close to the screw size, often what's left of the screw will work itself loose while you're doing this. If not, get a new tap and handle, and re-tap the threads for your new screws. Slow, painstaking work, but patience will get you there.
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Carefully drill through the center of each remaining screw with a small bit, smaller than the screw shaft. Be careful and keep the drill straight and centered. Use a slow speed and oil the bit. Work your way up till you're close to the screw size, often what's left of the screw will work itself loose while you're doing this. If not, get a new tap and handle, and re-tap the threads for your new screws. Slow, painstaking work, but patience will get you there.

This stinks ! Will give that a try. I had an impact driver and everything. They would not budge. I had to buy a 15 dollar bit and chew through the screw heads to remove the hinges. Those screws seemed to be hardened. Now I need to buy another titanium, small to do what you suggest. I can't be alone with this issue....
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find some Kroil penetrating oil and keep soaking it for a few days. That stuff works wonders. If your lucky, the rest of the screw may come out while you're drilling.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need titanium. Buy a few cobalt bits, in increasing sizes. Better yet, get a small bit index, take care of them and they last. Slow speed and oil will make them last; heat kills bits.

Last edited by esde on Sun May 13, 2012 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plates don't really come out. Kroil is terrific stuff.

You can also try the welded nut trick. I've had success with that in conjunction with an impact wrench--start slow with low torque if you try it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: