Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
when I park it on an incline, it leaks oil more. whaaat?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
airkooledchris
Samba Member


Joined: January 25, 2005
Posts: 2640
Location: Where the pacific ocean meets the redwood forest
airkooledchris is offline 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: when I park it on an incline, it leaks oil more. whaaat? Reply with quote

twice now in the past month or so, ive left town for a few days and parked my 79 bus out in the road out in front of my house.

both times now (I chalked up the first time as a fluke) when I returned - it has dumped a small pool of oil under itself.

this thing always leaves a *little* drop here and there everywhere I park, but this is like a good 6-7 inch round pool.

the road in front of my house is at a pretty darned good incline, not juts a little hill. I had parked on it with the nose facing uphill, and I haven't had a chance to park it and test it pointing the other way.

is there a known point of oil leaking that is common when at an incline?
_________________
metahacker wrote:
... i would say that, if it's an option, (edited) not listen to any forum pessimism..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 45371
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dipstick boot would be my first guess.
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member


Joined: January 25, 2005
Posts: 2640
Location: Where the pacific ocean meets the redwood forest
airkooledchris is offline 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That or maybe even the oil filler neck connection itself?

Colin and I installed a new oil dipstick boot last year, so I don't think it's bad, but maybe it isn't aligned properly.

Later ill get the oil good and hot to change it, and see if I can replicate it by parking it briefly on the hill when hot.
_________________
metahacker wrote:
... i would say that, if it's an option, (edited) not listen to any forum pessimism..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member


Joined: January 25, 2005
Posts: 2640
Location: Where the pacific ocean meets the redwood forest
airkooledchris is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got involved in other projects and forgot about this - until I parked it on a damned hill again last night. once again a big puddle of oil.

it looks like it's coming where the oil fill tube connects to the case.

if I back it up onto my ramps that should allow me to disconnect that tube (assuming you can do this without dropping the engine) and replace the gasket with a new one, then RTV that thing in place so it won't leak anymore.

or I guess i'll just try and make an RTV seal around the current gasket until the next time I drop the motor.
_________________
metahacker wrote:
... i would say that, if it's an option, (edited) not listen to any forum pessimism..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member


Joined: April 14, 2008
Posts: 1671

nathansnathan is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filler/dipstick gasket area is a finicky place to get to stay dry. You need the gasket and sealer, and to do it right with the surfaces cleaned with alcohol or acetone. With an oil-soaked gasket in there or a bunch of silicone and no gasket, glopping more around it likely isn't going to help. It can be done without dropping the engine. It sounds like you're not sure if it's the gasket or the boot though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member


Joined: January 25, 2005
Posts: 2640
Location: Where the pacific ocean meets the redwood forest
airkooledchris is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The damn oil filler tube bangs right up against the lower engine carrier bar.

Can I disconnect those two bolts on the bottom of the carrier bar and then jack the engine up an inch and a half so I can slide that filler tube back and out?

I thought it was bumping up against the exhaust, which it was a little, but it looks like the lower carrier is the main thing keeping it from coming out.

Thanks!

hoping to tackle this and get it all back together later today.
_________________
metahacker wrote:
... i would say that, if it's an option, (edited) not listen to any forum pessimism..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 45371
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a try but it may run into the exhaust before you can get it far enough away, you could access the upper mount nuts if you removed the fan, they are much shorter than the studs on the bottom.
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member


Joined: January 25, 2005
Posts: 2640
Location: Where the pacific ocean meets the redwood forest
airkooledchris is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries now as I removed the exhaust thinking that's what it was bumping up against earlier.

I just wasn't sure how those lower carrier bar mounts worked and if just removing the nut from the bottom was going to be good enough or if the engine would just pull the bar up along with it when I jacked it up some.

will give it a go here in a few
_________________
metahacker wrote:
... i would say that, if it's an option, (edited) not listen to any forum pessimism..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member


Joined: January 25, 2005
Posts: 2640
Location: Where the pacific ocean meets the redwood forest
airkooledchris is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust off and lower/bottom carrier bolts undone - still couldn't get the stupid oil filler tube out. I think I'd have to take off the passenger side heater box to get it all the way off.

Anyway I was able to replace the oil filler tube gasket and cracked 9 month old dipstick boot. Gave the oil filler tube gasket a little red RTV assistance and so far so good. Will let it cure a few days and then park it on an incline and see what happens.

Are there viton dipstick boots available anywhere?
_________________
metahacker wrote:
... i would say that, if it's an option, (edited) not listen to any forum pessimism..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 45371
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it seems a shroud pull is the only way to get it completely off when in the bus eh?
airkooledchris wrote:
Are there viton dipstick boots available anywhere?

Not that I'm aware of, but creative people have manufactured thier own out of various sizes of fuel line and clamps, the FI rated stuff should hold up well.
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member


Joined: March 06, 2005
Posts: 3646
Location: Seattle, WA./ HB, Ca./ Shizuoka, Japan
udidwht is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Exhaust off and lower/bottom carrier bolts undone - still couldn't get the stupid oil filler tube out. I think I'd have to take off the passenger side heater box to get it all the way off.

Anyway I was able to replace the oil filler tube gasket and cracked 9 month old dipstick boot. Gave the oil filler tube gasket a little red RTV assistance and so far so good. Will let it cure a few days and then park it on an incline and see what happens.

Are there viton dipstick boots available anywhere?


Yes there are. They work great. Mine has been leak free for several years and still no signs of cracking.

Look here:

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/search.php?substring=dipstick+boot
_________________
1972 Westy Hardtop/Type-4 2056cc
96mm Biral AA P/C's~7.8:1CR
Headflow Masters New AMC 42x36mm heads w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
NGK BP6ET plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member


Joined: January 25, 2005
Posts: 2640
Location: Where the pacific ocean meets the redwood forest
airkooledchris is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:
Exhaust off and lower/bottom carrier bolts undone - still couldn't get the stupid oil filler tube out. I think I'd have to take off the passenger side heater box to get it all the way off.

Anyway I was able to replace the oil filler tube gasket and cracked 9 month old dipstick boot. Gave the oil filler tube gasket a little red RTV assistance and so far so good. Will let it cure a few days and then park it on an incline and see what happens.

Are there viton dipstick boots available anywhere?


Yes there are. They work great. Mine has been leak free for several years and still no signs of cracking.

Look here:

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/search.php?substring=dipstick+boot
]


THANK YOU. Everyone needs to know about this part. Replacing it with the other one available (and at the same price?) is absolutely pointless given how quickly it'll fail.
_________________
metahacker wrote:
... i would say that, if it's an option, (edited) not listen to any forum pessimism..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member


Joined: July 22, 2011
Posts: 4801
Location: Colorado
curtis4085 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
udidwht wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:
Exhaust off and lower/bottom carrier bolts undone - still couldn't get the stupid oil filler tube out. I think I'd have to take off the passenger side heater box to get it all the way off.

Anyway I was able to replace the oil filler tube gasket and cracked 9 month old dipstick boot. Gave the oil filler tube gasket a little red RTV assistance and so far so good. Will let it cure a few days and then park it on an incline and see what happens.

Are there viton dipstick boots available anywhere?


Yes there are. They work great. Mine has been leak free for several years and still no signs of cracking.

Look here:

http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/customer/search.php?substring=dipstick+boot
]

Now you got me worried. I must go check mine now and purchase a viton boot for the enevitable failure ahead.


THANK YOU. Everyone needs to know about this part. Replacing it with the other one available (and at the same price?) is absolutely pointless given how quickly it'll fail.

_________________
Special Thanks to:
Headflow Masters - Vista, CA
www.headflowmasters.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB