Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Truline boring bar value?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Truline boring bar value? Reply with quote

I have a chance at buying a Truline boring bar. I was asked what I might give for the setup. I have a number in mind but wanted to get some opinions here as well.

I repaired the bar last week, had to turn a new "pin" for the drive mechanism and then setup one of the bars. It has 2 bars with cutters, the thrust cutter (although the spring is cracked) and now, after the repair, cuts nice.

What's it worth on the street?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that depends on who needs it or how fast it needes to move.starting at $100.00.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $200 for mine, single late version of the bar (chromed) with thrust cutter, adjustment dials etc, I then paid an additional $250 for a new set of cutters as the ones on the bar were chipped, I guess from the PO trying to cut through the bearing dowels

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could get it for $100 or $200 I'd be happy as hell, but I doubt that's gonna happen. Confused
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are about $1600 new so work down from there on condition and desperation or lack of need from the seller. I would be interested if you are not.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is selling new Trulines for $1600? I've seen the hydraulic feeds for that much but there is no comparison to a Truline. There has already been comparison threads so I'm not looking for a debate, just clarification of the boring bar itself. A used decent ready to work Truline runs about $1000-$1200. Post a pic of it.

Don't forget the gauging you need as well. That can cost as much as the bar.

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalchomper wrote:
Who is selling new Trulines for $1600? I've seen the hydraulic feeds for that much but there is no comparison to a Truline. There has already been comparison threads so I'm not looking for a debate, just clarification of the boring bar itself. A used decent ready to work Truline runs about $1000-$1200. Post a pic of it.

Your right I saw the bugpatch bar. http://www.bugpatch.com/VWToolsCatalog/VWToolsCatalogPage3/tabid/81/Default.aspx
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
metalchomper wrote:

Your right I saw the bugpatch bar. http://www.bugpatch.com/VWToolsCatalog/VWToolsCatalogPage3/tabid/81/Default.aspx

I like the looks of cam boring bar.

Man I was hopeful someone started making Trulines again. Out of boredom I googled Truline and came across some suspicious want ads that sound like Chinenglish. Wouldn't surprise me if a Chinese copy is floating around somewhere.

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of the hydrolic type, it works pretty good, but Im not found of the castiron end support that has a few though clearance,I machined it for bronze wear pads(aka taped & thereade for 4 bronze 5/16" screws then centered them) the prevesly owner kept running it to far and blowing the seal out.& afued 1 cutter. We only have the 1st oversize cutters.& thrust cutter.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why someone would even offer the BugPatch boring tool. It is a joke! It is the same as the PortaTool.

The TruLIne is KING! So if you have them, keep them coz there are none to be had anymore. I had as many as 30 bars and feeds at one time. I am down to my last 4 chrome bars. And they will stay w/ me until I can make replacements. I am working on a batch of Super TruLine sets w/ MicroBore bits and improved feed.

If I see TruLines I will buy them all if I am able. I recently just bought a Gleason submerged-arc crank welder to match my Storm Vulcan crank grinder. I just rebuilt my FB5000 flywheel grinder.

Good tools are nice to have. I am probably the worst machinetool nut out there. Very Happy

Get them man. There is nothing like them.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if you could weld up a cast cam for a hard layer or use for a mild cheep roller & how it would work.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, Mark. The Gleason welder actually does cast iron cranks too. So a cast iron cam or related material can be welded w/ the proper filler material. The Gleason process is the only one contender to do Detroit diesel cranks.

I will find out once I get this thing fired up if it can do cams. But my priority is doing steel VW cranks for exotic strokes and journals. I am particularly excited about the mouse engines in the early VWs. The salt flats got me awakened.
gs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have had one of these around the shop for a few years now and have never used it. Lately I have been thinking of parting with it.

I searched around and haven't found any lately to know what they are actually selling for. I see its stated above they are worth $1000-$1200 is that accurate?

So what are they worth, I'm not looking to get rich, I just want to get a fair price for it.

George
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the $1000-$1200 is about double the value depending on what's all in your kit.

I ended up with the kit above which has the guides, 2 chrome bars, thrust cutter, both micro stops, gauge, drive key and crappy wooden box (that I already re-made) for $750.

I'd be interested in another kit. PM me if you are really thinking of selling it and maybe we can work something out.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I super-accurized mine and machined all new bushings. The bushings now are extra-long and extra-big...slide-fits. The linebores are just beautiful and accurate.

I will be interested in another set too if available. Laughing
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back off Nick...you already have 12.... Very Happy kidding
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have too many. Laughing

I make the gauge tools for it w/ Starret or Browne & Sharpe micrometer tip on it.

I make them in pairs..1 tool gauge for the 3 large mains and 1 tool gauge for the #4 main. They are all set at zero so all you need is to move the gauge to 0.010" increments to set the bits.

Here is the tool...only showing the one for the large mains. The one for #4 main is smaller body but same gauge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: