Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paulchen Help, problem solved & the fix is in!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Paulchen Help, problem solved & the fix is in! Reply with quote

okay I mounted it today, just about had to take it all apart. Sure wasn't the fit of a Vanagon but was said to come off a Westy.

Anyhow my problem is that I can only open the hatch 3 to 4 inches. I thought I could open the hatch all the way and need to support it. What have I done wrong. I did put 1/16 closed cell foam on the top hinges, that's the only thing I can figure. Help please I leave early Wed am.

Last edited by DAIZEE on Tue May 15, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures please.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to post the pics I took. I enlarged those 4 pics and the top and bottom mounts are different. I put the top over the hatch and the bottom catches the hatch on the bottom. My rack is slightly different but sorta the same Rolling Eyes I'll try the pics but no promises. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't seem to download pics using my card reader. Weird, whatever happened to my plug and play! I think that there are 2 top bracket missing so I'll probably just take it off tomorrow. That ticks me off but I have to be able to open the hatch. Very flustered and frustrated right now. Thanks for the offer to help.

I Gary Lee top brackets appear to add on to the Paulchen's top brackets.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Daizee,

Two of the photos in that Paulchen search are mine, the grey westy. We don't have problems opening the hatch.

The top bracket system on the Paulchen is very simple, and firmly slides right into place with a nice fit. Then the main body of the rack (with that t-top) sort of "rests" into the U of the top bracket. The bottom bolt adjuster brackets provide the tension that hold everything into place. It's an elegant little system.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We have a thin bit of foam in all our four brackets too, if that helps.

I'm trying to wrap my head around your experience here, bear with my next questions!

* Can you elaborate on how the top bracket is interfering with the hatch lift? Does the bracket jam into the body of the van?

Or is it just the additional weight on your hatch that doesn't like the lift? I use two "strong" hatch struts to easily lift and (briefly) hold mine up, as in this pic

Note I wouldn't work under this or do anything without my hand holding the hatch just in case. It's more for the ability to take the bikes off at the site and then easily pop into the rear if we need to do something - I hate taking the rack off at a campsite.

* You think you have two top brackets... missing? Do you have FOUR bottom brackets, the part that has the adjuster bolt? Or just two brackets?

I can't take pictures of my own brackets tonight, but can tomorrow. There's two sets. The bottom requires the bolts, the top does not.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Can't seem to download pics using my card reader.

Daizee, you need to download the pics to your computer and then upload from there to your SAMBA gallery.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vanagon.com/info/accessories/paulchen/index.htm

show just like mine and yours J8. My equipment runners are different and my shelf is much deeper (distance from hatch to outer edge). So I don't know what my problem is.

Will stop into the VW/Audi repair shop where I bought it. He said it was off a Westy but I had to take it apart to lengthen it to fit from top to bottom of hatch. It's really solid and I'd really like to use it but gotta be able to open hatch. Tomorrow I will address the issue again. Thanks

dobryan: I know that, I've done it dozens of time but this is a new card reader and a new camera and the camera doesn't connect up to the computer. Tomorrow I will look for my old card reader. Thanks
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that. Hope he can help you tomorrow because it sounds like a hands on job.

DAIZEE wrote:
He said it was off a Westy but I had to take it apart to lengthen it to fit from top to bottom of hatch.

... uhm this is kinda blowing my mind and I really don't know what to think about that. In thinking about the Paulchen, I'm trying to ... well ... I honestly cannot think of a spot where I'd lengthen the heart of the rack to make it taller. Will look at mine tomorrow, but maybe you have a different year or something. Pretty sure mine is solid with no ability to adjust aside from the bottom brackets and the "trombones."

Anyway, let us know what happened. They're a good system and once I had the basics down to load the bikes I found it to be perfect for our needs.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha trombones. I have \_/ X 3 grooves plus I have 2 legs on bottom to lean again bottom section of hatch door. Also have another piece and I have no idea where it is supposed to go. I'm hoping that the 1/16 " closed cell foam liner I put on top hitches are the problem! Embarassed I really like it, very solid. I'll add a pulley system to be able to lift my E bike (I'll carry the battery inside) that high but I've done it before Wink
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question You have my curiosity going! I hope you can upload photos, because I've never seen one like that.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did just download to my computer, will try to get them in my gallery now. Xfingers.

Edit: Ok they are in the Gallery. Anyone who throws them up in this thread has my benevolence! Wink
JED THE SPREAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen one like that before,

jed
JED THE SPREAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early one that is shorter and fixed directly to the rear door. I have a bike rack that fits on my rear wheel carrier and swings the bikes away from the door so I can open it. I did want a storage solution to carry more stuff and free up some space from the front roof section so I bastardized it into this,

jed
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is very interesting and altered to suit your needs. Do the two top "grappers" just slip over the top of the hatch door?

I think mine is a very heavy duty one. Sits real high, has many tubular posts going everywhich way and I think it sticks out further when the shelf is down.I want to put lawn chairs, rug, BBQ, small diesel container, 4.9 lb Propane. I'm not sure I'm going to take the bike this time. But sure do want to get things out from inside. Got some brand new, spiffy, Audi tire holders (on sale for $6.00 each X3) and I think I will pack most stuff in them to keep them dry and clean regardless of the weather.

It is clearly marked Paulchen and every part has the name stamped into the metal. I'll take some better pics tomorrow and with the shelf down and from the side.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very odd rack. The top mounts are different, the angle of the top bars is more perpendicular, and the fact that your riveria top has straight sides isn't going to help. You may have real problems getting this to work. I would look for top mounts that look similar to the others and will lower the top attachment point. Too bad.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Yours is very interesting and altered to suit your needs. Do the two top "grappers" just slip over the top of the hatch door?

I think mine is a very heavy duty one. Sits real high, has many tubular posts going everywhich way and I think it sticks out further when the shelf is down.I want to put lawn chairs, rug, BBQ, small diesel container, 4.9 lb Propane. I'm not sure I'm going to take the bike this time. But sure do want to get things out from inside. Got some brand new, spiffy, Audi tire holders (on sale for $6.00 each X3) and I think I will pack most stuff in them to keep them dry and clean regardless of the weather.

It is clearly marked Paulchen and every part has the name stamped into the metal. I'll take some better pics tomorrow and with the shelf down and from the side.

Paulchen makes a full line of racks for every shape of car. What you have there is a car trunk-mount rack-see here: http://www.paulchensystem.net/
Click on 'Produkte' and then 'Mittlellader' and 'Tieflader'.

Someone's added three Fiamma bike rails to it but its not a Paulchen T3/Vanagon rack... Sad If you found the part number you could look up the original fitment. If you cared. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: racks Reply with quote

The top attachment of the T3 Paulchen rack on their website looks very much like the top attachment of the Gary Lee rack http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/vw.htm . My Gary Lee rack works great. In both cases the angle of the top mount has been specifically made to allow the hatch to open with the rack on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home. It is definitely a Paulchen, perhaps a heavy duty one and it did come off a Westy. Once they went on a trip without it and alas rolled their Westy, had the Paulchen and finally put it up for sale thru Bero Motors. I figured it out this morning. One of the top mounts was put over the rear hatch hatch! Then I had a problem with the van but it was really about me! I ran out of diesel at a service stn with a garage but those guys wouldn't even look at it. I pulled the out put fuel line and tried to pump thru with a little pump I bought specifically for this.

Anyhow it didn't work, oh right I put about 3L in the tank and kept the rest for priming. While waiting for the tow I fixed the Paulchen and took it off and put it back on by myself. Works fine but I need to support the back hatch which I have (the supports I mean). The CAA fella wanted to crank open a nut in the vicinity of the fuel pump but I decided to have it towed to Nelson's. Nelson gave me the hose and taught me how to fill the fuel filter thru the removeable threaded screw in the top. Let it sit for some time and then it fired up real easy.

So I got caught with my pants down on this one Embarassed by running out of fuel. Topped up the reserve 5L tank and filled the main tank and will have to track my use until I get the time to drop the fuel tank and fix the fuel gauge and/or level sensor which has never worked since I got it. It's the next major (for me) job for me.

So my Paulchen (anyone can come check out it's authenticity at any gatherings I arrive at Wink ). It is so solid and strong. Will post a few more pics to my gallery later. Thanks everyone.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Just got home. Then I had a problem with the van but it was really about me! I ran out of diesel at a service stn with a garage but those guys wouldn't even look at it. I pulled the out put fuel line and tried to pump thru with a little pump I bought specifically for this.

Anyhow it didn't work, oh right I put about 3L in the tank and kept the rest for priming. While waiting for the tow I fixed the Paulchen and took it off and put it back on by myself. Works fine but I need to support the back hatch which I have (the supports I mean). The CAA fella wanted to crank open a nut in the vicinity of the fuel pump but I decided to have it towed to Nelson's. Nelson gave me the hose and taught me how to fill the fuel filter thru the removeable threaded screw in the top. Let it sit for some time and then it fired up real easy.

So I got caught with my pants down on this one :oops: by running out of fuel. Topped up the reserve 5L tank and filled the main tank and will have to track my use until I get the time to drop the fuel tank and fix the fuel gauge and/or level sensor which has never worked since I got it. It's the next major (for me) job for me.

There was a long discussion over at Yahoo Diesel Conversion re the merits of a lift pump. The consensus was that there is no down side to having a lift pump, it likely prolongs the life of the injection pump, acts as a check valve and makes the need to prime the injection pump a non issue.
If you no longer have a lift pump, and are going to carry a pump for priming, then it should be a vacuum pump - pull the fuel supply to the IJ pump off, plug the tip of the vacuum pump in, draw the plunger back, it will draw fuel up from the tank, fill the filter and draw fuel right to the pump. move the filled supply line back onto the injection pump and its primed and done. The lift pump does a better job as it supplies fuel under low pressure right into the injection pump but priming it with the hand vacuum pump works like a charm without mess or fuss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lift pump? Did I, do I have a lift pump. Not to my knowledge. This way Nelson taught me today is perfectly easy, probably more than 100% good, no stress, no work for the engine. Sometime I'll show people. Couldn't be simpler and more effective. I'll stick with what I know now. Thanks anyhow. So maybe that's why I ran out of diesel today, a bunch of people were talking about it!!! Laughing Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: