Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clucth issues with motor swap
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: clucth issues with motor swap Reply with quote

I have searched the forums and cant find mch. Ive got a 66 bus that I'm using the motor from my Thing. So ive got the early transmission (no removable cone). Ive got the clutch and pressure plate from the Thing. Can I use that plate with this transmission? If so what throw out bearing do I use? Or do I need to get an early pressure plate with the ring on the finger springs to use with an early throw out bearing?

Thanks for any help. This is really the last thing keeping my bus off the road(with the exception of my safari windows...)
Andy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of depends on the transaxle in the bus. If original you need the latter. If someone installed a later transaxle the former will work if all the parts are there.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its still the early transaxle. Early ones don't have the removable cone around the output shaft, right?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct!
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok last Newb question. Ive got a 200mm flywheel. Will the 200mm plate from a 67 bus with the collar work, or do I need to source a new flywheels?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 mm is 200 mm and will work just fine. Just do not mix 180 mm equipment with 200 mm stuff or visa versa.

Some of the new clutch discs rub on the inside of the PP ring, and have to be ground a tad on the disc center that the input shaft passes through.
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might help, did for me a few days ago.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! That link is a big help too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: