Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

widest wheel and correct offset on a stock trans '64.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: widest wheel and correct offset on a stock trans '64. Reply with quote

Hey guys , I'm looking to put the widest wheel I can fit into a stock rear fender well of a '64 ghia with a std trans. (short spline / short axle).

How wide will fit without rubbing and what is the correct offset that is needed to fill the wheel well?
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run 195/65R15 on the back of my former '65 ghia (also short axle/short spline) with 15 x 5.5 Mangels chromies. I believe their offset was a not very favorable +15 mm, similar to EMPI 5-spoke replicas. You could likely go wider with a more favorable offset. However, keep in mind that if you convert to a different lug pattern in back by switching to disc brakes, you could lose a little tire clearance due to a slight increase in rear track. I'm running CB Performance discs in back and 185/65R15s on 15 x 5.5 American Eagle 2-liter alloy replicas with +35 mm offset on my current '66 ghia convertible and there's not much extra space back there.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What offset will I need to squeeze in a 205?
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 205 on the rear, but its an IRS car, not swing axle. That's with real 15x6 Fuchs - 36mm offset. They don't rub, but if I was buying tires again I would go with 195.
Lowlightmafia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: widest wheel and correct offset on a stock trans '64. Reply with quote

I run 15x6 late Fuchs with 205x55xr15 on the front and 16x7 Fuchs with 205x55xr16 they fit snug but because the car is lowered they don’t rub and I’m able to rip up Angeles crest and willow springs circuit track. (real fuchs by the way)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: