Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ Reply with quote

Very clean, I like that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ Reply with quote

Has anyone used the Bus Depot "Leisure Battery Kit"?

http://www.busdepot.com/j15328

I know they have just the relay, but the kit has the battery terminals and all that. Great. Specifically I'm mostly wondering how long that positive battery cable is. Is it long enough to go from the starter battery all the way over to the left side of the engine bay? Or from the alternator to the left side of the bay? Or does anyone just have a measurement? I couldn't find that info on Bus Depot. I would assume that they made it "long enough" but I don't assume that they intend to put the house battery in the same place I do. For all I know, it's "supposed" to go inside, under the back seat or something. But I'd like to put mine on the left side, opposite the starter battery.

Thoughts?

If that cable isn't long enough, I'll just get the relay (below) and source cables and fuses from my FLAPS.

http://www.busdepot.com/1738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Part list? Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
The Quaint Gypsy wrote:
I am sorry if reviving a dead post.. and sorry again if I missed this, but is there a complete list of what to get to install a second battery and what it needed to then set it up to run 110 volts items? I get lost in all the posts....

thanks kindly in advance =])

Go back and read the first three lines on the first page . That's why I took all the photos and did this thread .
then plug in an inverter to run LIMITED 110 volts

It would be great if anyone could see the photos in the first post. While I appreciate the thoughtful tutorial, the dead photo links make it useless. I really don't get why people don't use the samba gallery. I found this incredibly frustrating while restoring my 67.
'65 Honda Dream
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ Reply with quote

Hey all,

Reviving this old thread for a min... what great info. Quick question - what would be a suitable gauge wire to run from the 2nd battery up to an aux fuse box? The one I'm thinking of using has 6 circuits, much like the Blue Sea unit. I would run USB chargers, a few LED lights, maybe driving and an extra reverse light for better visibility. I read this article https://knowhow.napaonline.com/know-how-notes-automotive-wiring-guide/ and was thinking that a 2 gauge wire would be too big and 10 gauge too small. Is that accurate? I suppose it depends on the total current draw and distance but the bus only has a 55 amp alternator and I can't see more than maybe 20-30 amps coming from all the extra junk I'd like to install.

Thanks,
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ Reply with quote

Hi Mike. I have a Blu Sea set up and used 4 Guage for that run. I have the 12 slot fuse box (6 switched and 6 constant). I have not had any problems.Good luck!
(sold - but not forgotten)
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks BB... did you run a separate 4 ga ground wire, as well?
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
Thanks BB... did you run a separate 4 ga ground wire, as well?

Yes. Both batteries are fused as well. The driver's side aux battery has a separate body ground in the engine compartment.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. So - aux battery - one negative cable run up to the aux fuse box along with the positive and another ground cable to the body in the engine bay.

Got it,

Thanks.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
Cool, thanks. So - aux battery - one negative cable run up to the aux fuse box along with the positive and another ground cable to the body in the engine bay.

Got it,

Thanks.

Yes. I always benefit from seeing electrical drawings/schematics. If you are the same, here is a visual that should help. It was sent to me directly by Blue Sea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ Reply with quote

Awesome. Thank you!

Mikey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: