Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof Rack Inquiry
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1971Lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

Looking for the right roof rack for my '71 bus. Needs to be heavy duty, to accommodate a 100lb rooftop tent and two adults (Approx. 400 lb total). Rack needs to be as low profile as possible, around 3" clear from crown of roof at center. Any suggestions?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

Like this one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

Robbie (asiab3) and/or Brian (Brian Laughing ) has one that fits on both a tintop and a bug. You might send a message to them and ask what they use.

Just take the tent off before driving into the garage. Robbie can tell you the consequences.

1976 Riviera, my 1.8l FI chrome yellow VAN - "Chloe"

My top favorite Samba quote:
Quote:
"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. Its.... like driving a celebration!" -WildIdea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

Yeah, I was gunna say that it will limit your overhead clearance
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
1971Lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

Thanks all! Any chance you can estimate what the max load capacity of the bus roof/gutters are, based on your experience? I'll reach out to asiab3 and Brian in the meantime. Much appreciated!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

1971Lou wrote:
Thanks all! Any chance you can estimate what the max load capacity of the bus roof/gutters are, based on your experience? I'll reach out to asiab3 and Brian in the meantime. Much appreciated!

VW max it out at 220lbs as far as the rain gutter loads

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
asiab3
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

Hi,

The gutters can hold far more than 220 lbs statically, based on experience… However! The center of mass on your vehicle in turns is quite important for safe handling and driving, so please don't exceed the 220 lbs on the road.

I thought Brian posted this yesterday, but…

Getting the RTT on and off is a Royal Pain. Even folding and unfolding it isn't easy, and I'm 5' 10". By FAR the easiest way to do it was to find someone you can safely hoist up in the air. NYCynthia was a willing and able helper for us!

The Thule towers for bugs clear the roof line by about an inch, and the gap shrinks to half an inch when one dude full of beer hops inside. Here is the best side view I have.

The Thule towers for clearing a bus pop-top roof give about three or four ht inches between the tin top and the cross bar. The feet of the high-rise towers are also much wider, which will help spread the load to a longer area in your rain gutters.

(Ropes are loose because I took the picture halfway through untying!)

The EMPI rack posted in aeromech's photo is not up to the challenge, by a long shot. I had one installed for a few months and it did more damage to the gutters than installing and removing Thule racks over ten times in the last few years for me.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

Hey 1971Lou,

I have a rack like the one in your photo that I want to sell. You can see it here in the photos- I have all of the parts even though they are not shown in the photos below. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Jeff

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

Go big.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1974 Westfalia Hardtop Campmobile
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

I made my own... cheap, and near indestructible
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

1971Lou wrote:
Looking for the right roof rack for my '71 bus. Needs to be heavy duty, to accommodate a 100lb rooftop tent and two adults (Approx. 400 lb total). Rack needs to be as low profile as possible, around 3" clear from crown of roof at center. Any suggestions?

Assuming you want low profile to fit in a garage, this is what I do. Just remove the rails of the rack for day to day. Add the back if needed for a trip. I am not sure of capacity, I dont load it up too much.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Inquiry Reply with quote

Has anyone cut and shut one of those racks to bring it closer to the roof skin? I've got maybe 6 inches of clearance. So... with a bit of fabrication my rack could clear.

But it would it look gash?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: