Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Manxter 2+2 Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
I was looking for the red translucent lenses, and having a hard time finding.
Thinking of using LED 2 strips. 1 for running lights and the 2nd as stop lights.

Get some Manxter pictures up on this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609358&highlight=manxter

David
#127 Manxter - 99.5% done....
dbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
What did you use to support your Flaming River Steering Column at the firewall?
jrailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like he just used the kit plate
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbsmith wrote:
Scott,

Jim's correct, I used the piece that came with the kit. My buggy is in storage, so I can't check, but IIRC I put the rubber grommet around the column, and I think the outside part of the grommet only fit on the support piece. I don't think I could get the rubber grommet to fit on both the piece and the firewall, the firewall was too thick. This caused the piece to bend a bit when I tightened it up. I may have had to make the hole in the piece bigger, I have a vague recollection of that.

I'll try to find a picture.

Scott
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

Check out my build thread-->My Manxter 2+2
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can kind of see it in this pic. Looks a little bent up from tightening against the grommet.
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on this pic I can't see the grommet fitted through the firewall.
Manxter #122

jrailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bend probably helps tighten the clamp fit
dbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Grommet at colunm Reply with quote

Sounds like it's is going to be another creative fabrication..
AuburnGrad93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,
You have a great looking Manxter! And I have gotten a lot of information and ideas out of your thread! I am in the early stages of a Manxter build myself! Hoping for #174 as my wife was born in 74. We have already purchased a 74 chassis and I have an adjustable Beam I got from TSFR (Jeff). Anyway, we love your color! Can you tell me the color code for the green? We are trying to decide between the green like yours and the 7P Brilliant Golden Orange? I know we are going with the tan interior, and I already scored 4 Miata seats the other day for a $100! I think we are going to do the Subaru engine too, just for the power and reliability.

Blaming a gun for crime is like blaming a fork for Rosie O'Donnell being FAT!

1969 Dune Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott
I been seeing your blurts on FB. Can you update your thread on the corvair motor. Glad your winters over and you can get out and play.. Mine is still slow.

David
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren. My wife picked the color. I want the 2010 Camaro color Synergy Green, and for 1 month thought that is what we were getting. Winnie called a month after I had ordered and said they couldn't do that metallic paint. The color my wife picked is 38P Brilliant Moss Green. I couldn't be happier with it. Glad my thread has helped and I can't wait to see yours come together. I don't think you'll be able to use the Miata seats for the rear, but they are a great fit for the front.

David - I'm slowing getting the Corvair dialed in. Next Friday is Carlisle kit car show that I'm trying to get ready for. And we've been busy trying to get the chassis finished for my son's Spatz. FB is good for quick and dirty posting, but you're right, I should document it here also. Never enough time to do it all. I'll try to get a summary up on the samba after Carlisle.
Manxter #122

sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post.
Manxter #122

Last edited by sbussard on Sun May 10, 2015 6:15 am; edited 2 times in total
AuburnGrad93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the color number! I really think we are leaning more towards your green verses the orange. And oh, I am not planning on using all four Miata Seats in my build, I just ended up with all four as a package deal for the $100! I will use the best 2 and then sell the other 2.

So are you pulling your VW engine and going with a corvair engine? If so, what made you decide to use that rather than the Subaru engine??

1969 Dune Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbsmith wrote:
Scott,

I use a Lower Support Bracket which you can make easy enough from some 1 1/2" DOM and widen slightly to suit Flaming River

http://turnkeymanx.com/?product=buggy-steering-column-support-bracket
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice solution Brad. I like it.

Darrin - I wanted to keep it air cooled and Subaru violated the KISS principle. This is a hobby for me and I work primarily by myself in a residential garage. If it wasn't for the help of the forum, I could never have completed my buggy. Subaru adds more complication than I was willing to try to tackle on my own. 2nd fuel line, ECU, wiring harnass, radiators & plumbing, and if you go with an aftermarket transaxle you may have to modify the torsion housing.

I stumbled across an ad for a Corvair motor and transaxle for sale last year and it got me thinking. We were going to need a driveline for my son's Spatz and why not upgrade mine at the same time. When I started pricing what it would cost me for building up a larger VW for myself, the Corvair started looking better and better. Over the last month, I've been working on getting it dialed in. The carb that came with it was a single and sat too high for the buggy. The cover in the rear wouldn't close. I tried a 2nd single carb, then decided dual carbs would be best. I had problems getting the timing set. trouble trying to find a air filter that fit. Trouble with the chokes. Rocker nuts were worn and allowing the valve train to loosen up after I made adjustments, once to the point the one rocker was no longer opening the valve. Dizzy was off 2 teeth, not allowing it to be timed properly. Replaced the points with an electronic kit and changed all plugs. Lots of learning, but I'm making progress.

I think it looks okay. I've driven around 50 miles in it since the motor change out. Each trip gets a little easier with the changes I make between trips. It has totally changed the overall attitude of the buggy, in a positive way.

The transaxle is junk. I think whoever did the ring and pinion flip didn't bother to reshim it correctly. It moans all the time, sounds like straight cut gears. And consistently pops out of 2nd gear. 2nd gear pulls well through the range, but as soon as I get off the gas, it pops out. Looks like a rebuild will be in the near future.

A local exhaust company made my pipes. A little too loud, but make the motor sound healthy. I may be looking for something quieter soon as my wife doesn't dig it as much as I do.

Thanks for looking.
Manxter #122

Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Corvair Manxter ... you want to hit ManxVair up for some info on his setup. I know has the corvair rear end but he has been playing with the corvair engine for a while and might have some pointers.
dbsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott
See, wasn't that was a whole lot better than a blurp on Facebook.

Smile

David
AuburnGrad93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
I understand what you're saying with the Subaru. I am also going to be working out of my garage, and I am very afraid that the Subaru will be more than I can handle.....but I also want the most power and reliability I can get! I don't like the idea of having to drive around in 3rd gear all the time or not being able to keep up with traffic on the interstate. How much power does the Corvair engine give you? How hard was it to install?
Thanks for all your advice! I am learning a lot from you!

1969 Dune Buggy
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad - I talked to Mike before I bought the Corvair and he helped talk me into the decision. No looking back now. I can't wait to show him my setup and pick his brain at MOTF. You coming to the east coast??

Darren - The Corvair woke up the buggy. It is night and day different over the stock 1600cc VW motor. It was fairly straight forward to install. The corvair spins opposite direction than the vw. You either reverse the ring and pinion of a VW transaxle (like mine is) or build the Corvair with reverse cam and dizzy, so that it rotates backward from normal. The VW transaxle installs like normal, an adpater plate is used, and the Corvair motor bolts to the adapter plate. The Corvair requires a 200mm VW style flywheel to use the VW clutch and pressure plate and work with the VW transaxle. If you don't reverse the Corvair motor, you'll also need a corvair starter that bolts to the VW transaxle. That starter spins reverse from a VW starter. I had issues fitting a single carb setup and eventually went to dual carbs. And for dual carbs, the throttle linkage for a corvair normally pull toward the rear of the motor, instead of forward like a VW, so you have to sort that out. I flipped the arm on the cross shaft of an aftermarket linkage kit, on a stock linkage you'd have to cut and reweld the arm.

I'm still new to the Chevy thing, but I think Corvair had an 80, 95, 110, 140 and 180hp turbo. Mine is a 95. I thought it was a 110hp when I bought it, but such is life. I don't think mine would hang with a Subaru, but the installation was way easier. And it's still has plenty of low end torque. The older I get, the more I could care less for high speed.

Make a plan and a budget. Get ready to make tons of decisions, and then to stick to those decisions. It's soooo easy to second guess yourself and change midstream. I don't know exaactly how it is for others, but for me, I think I spent 10x the amount of time researching how the best way to do something was, or the best product for the money, than I did actually building the buggy. That's an exaggeration, but not far from the truth. I've never built a complete kit before, and there were times when I hit the wall. The best advice I can give you is to do something on the buggy every day.

Scott
Manxter #122

AuburnGrad93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
Is this the wiring kit you used for the Manxter?
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/dune-buggy-wiring-kit

If that's it, would you use it again? Or something different?

1969 Dune Buggy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: