Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Item 63260 - Front wheel bearing adapter - WIN
I used this kit on my daughters VW jetta. Worked flawlessly. I couldn't be happier.

Item 62340 - Heat gun - WIN
I have used this for a few years now. From applying decals to boats, to shrinking wire connectors. Works really well.

Item 60372 - 5 Amp Angle Grinder - WIN
Used this for a number of things, but mainly to work on a boat trailer. 5 years later, and it still works flawlessly.

I've bought a number of things from time to time and nothing has let me down yet.
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Has any used the vacume pump from HF? Yeah good reviews but I’m not sure I want to as I have too many tools and limited space as it is.
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

This will help anyone decide whether to buy HF tools or not.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

One question is conspicuously absent from the ^^ Decision tree ^^

Rolling Eyes "Do you have eye protection?" Rolling Eyes

Heres a Harbor Freight catalog used as soft-jaws for the vise.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Heres a Harbor Freight catalog used as soft-jaws for the vise.

Sooo, would you consider that a "win" then? Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

WIN
Lawn tractor jack, GREAT
Bench drill press
1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch click-type torque wrenches ($10 each)
3-ton low profile high lift floor jack GREAT
Wall mount for TV $15
120 volt hammer drill 1/2 inch
Warrior titanium drill bit set
1/2 inch 120 volt 250 ft lb electric impact wrench (over 20 years old)
Jack stands, wheel chock
Steel service cart
Mesh lawn cart
Transmission scissors jack ($80)
120 volt pole-type chain saw GREAT
Truck bed ramps
R134a service gauges
S-shaped metric box wrenches
Sledge hammer
Quick release clamps
5 mil nitrile disposable gloves
120 volt grinder
pneumatic stapler

LOSE
Large hole saw kit (wouldn't cut wood !!!) 3/4 inch to 5 inch; returned
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Wins
I bought a media blast cabinet from then and after properly sealing it and upgrading my fittings to high flow, it works great! The only negative is that the include light is useless. I have an LED shop light that I got from home depot that sits on the window that words works fine.

I bought an impact gun, the new earthquake series, compact 1/2" and it works great, with the high flow fittings.

Their general brand mobile cart that I got for $99 is great but I did end up buying two new swivel casters for it for better mobility.

Magnetic tool holder. If you can get the when they go on sale for $3 its a freaken steal! I use them to hold wrench sockets.

To be determined
I bought an industrial water separator for my air compressor and other than being able to better control the pressure, I'm not sure if its doing much.

Losers
The Pittsburg torque wrenches are almost useless. The issue is that the audible click you are supposed to hear when you reach the specified torque, its barely audible. (I don't know if its something that can be fixed) however for the $30 I spent for three different sizes of torque wrenches, I'll live with it.

Smaller tumbler. Very disappointed in this. For one, the two stores I visited, didn't have the necessary media that supposed to work with it (they had large media which did not do anything). The lid would work itself off. If you put too large of a part in it, it could potential wear a hole in it because of the thin plastic its built out of.

Those are just my most recent purchases. There have been a lot of winners and losers throughout the years though.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

I purchased this metal shear:

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-4-amp-heavy-duty-metal-shears-62213.html

Works great and rated to cut thicker gauge metal than anything close to it’s price. I’m not sure what the thickness of a factory running board is but I cut thru a set length wise like butter.
Handy tool to have in your box.

This one was mentioned in a previous post back in 2012.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html
A must have and worked great when removing the steering rod from the pitman arm on a split bus. Will pop off a ball joint in minutes with no damage to the grease boot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Bought one of these when I needed the table space to swap the hatch and wiring on my Golf.
Came in real handy. I can see it being used plenty for 20 bucks

Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
Bought one of these when I needed the table space to swap the hatch and wiring on my Golf.
Came in real handy. I can see it being used plenty for 20 bucks

Ha! That was our 1st Kart stand when me & the boy started kart racing. Low budget, but it worked fine. Good memories.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Losers
The Pittsburg torque wrenches are almost useless. The issue is that the audible click you are supposed to hear when you reach the specified torque, its barely audible. (I don't know if its something that can be fixed) however for the $30 I spent for three different sizes of torque wrenches, I'll live with it.

I have FOUR of these Harbor Freight torque wrenches, and don't have any problem with these.

And by the way: it's Pittsburgh.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
Losers

I have FOUR of these Harbor Freight torque wrenches, and don't have any problem with these.

And by the way: it's Pittsburgh.

For what it's worth, I use a number of Snap-On torque wrenches, and some of them are barely audible. There may be some misinformation or misinterpretation at play here: I don't think the key feature of these wrench types is that they're necessarily supposed to be "audible," but that there's typically a distinct click FEELING or break-over point when a notched cam-like device pops past a ball under spring tension. So some click louder than others.

The take-away is, the torquing process is something to be done smoothly and steadily, with a sense of touch and feel for the tool. I'm always astounded when I see ham-fisted goons using a torque wrench with rapid, brute force (watch the goons at your local tire shop). They're overshooting the spec when doing this...pure ignorance (not suggesting you were doing this).
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Anyone using the HF parts washer? Part# 07340. Docs say a water base cleaner. I’m assuming Simple Green. Anyone use these with a solvent?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

I just picked up a Pittsburgh 3-ton low profile hydraulic jack at HF.

I've been needing a new floor jack for quite a while.
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

#5907 30 In. Capacity Shear, Press Brake, And Slip Roll

Win. It will require some dialing in to set correctly...which is kind of a PITA. The shear is good for 20 Ga. metal. The break is the best part of it. I've yet to use the roller, but I did notice one of the woodruff pins was missing and it wouldn't turn one of the rollers. (easily replaced.) I picked mine up with a coupon and paid $320, so I am really pleased in terms of price. I use a lot of HF stuff, and this is better than average in terms of quality.

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

HF’s 3/8” swivel head ratchet is a quality tool. It’s almost identical to the Snap On version, which I have owned for over 20 years.
I paid about $125 for the Snap On, and $16 for the HF.
After using the HF for a month, I went back and bought 3 more of them.
They haven’t failed me yet. I keep a second tool cart in my race trailer, and tend to buy the cheaper tools for it since they sometimes get lost at the track.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Ive bought the 60769 parts washer used. Using Tractor Supply stoddard solvent, 15 gallons worth. No issues. You may find a used one locally. They are handy but bulky and smelly if left open. Pick up some HF Brushes and your in biz.
Win
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Ill add another win that’s a little out of the blue for this crowd. They have a dovetail jig for wooden cabinet building. I use mine for speaker cabs.
The router bits need to be used gently. I had a router already so I can’t speak on that. I have a few other HF motors, grinder and drill. Their router may be ok.
The jig takes some patience to setup properly but it works.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

brian rogers wrote:
Anyone using the HF parts washer? Part# 07340. Docs say a water base cleaner. I’m assuming Simple Green. Anyone use these with a solvent?
I use the "Purple" water base cleaner in mine, works well but never as good as the old solvent based tanks. I just finished the upgrade on my sand blaster cabinet using the TP Tools blaster kit and what a difference!
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

win - corded DRILL MASTER 3/8 In. Variable Speed Reversible Drill. Using it for several years now. No issues.

lose - silver tarps. Bought several and used them during summer to cover up
stuff outside. They just start falling apart after weeks in the desert
sun. I got one under their 3 month warranty replaced. I had only one
receipt left. Checked other stores and i did not find UV rated tarps at all. They were surprised I was using them outside Shocked

lose - Swivel Head Hand Riveter, broke internally. It is several years old, but
not used very often. Mine has black rubber handles. New ones have
yellow handles. Not sure if there is a difference.

win - Titanium Coated High Speed Steel Step Bit Set, 2 Pc. Using them for several years now. Works good.

win - 7 In. Bench Brush - Not falling apart after years of use - very good for the price. Got a small steel dust pan from the 99 cent store. Perfect combo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: