Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

The HF manual screw-type transmissions jacks are useful for pulling engines.

On my bus, I used two, which were tied together with some scrap pieces of steel drilled and bolted through the top of the caster mounts, to make one rolling trolly. It rolls on eight wheels.

I placed one jack under the engine with a thin piece of plywood, and the other aligns with the transmission. I'm able to pull the engine/transmission combination as a unit -- by myself -- safely and easily.

A 1/2" rachet wrench handle fits into the screw jack, and you can finesse both the engine and transmission individually as you take it down or raise for reassembly. For me, much better than a hydraulic jack.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

The air powered needle scaler kicks ass. Noisy as hell as it showers you with flakes of rust and grime.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of this place probably because I have trouble dealing with communist red Chinese made products but that aside I remember when they started dumping their forced labor made products on U.S. consumers in the early 80s. Their quality has improved as they steal patented U.S. technology and sell it back to American consumers. Cut to the chase I broke down and went there last week to by a fluid transfer pump. They sell two kinds,both of them so poorly made they tell you at checkout that it's a non returnable item that has zero guarantee. In fact they said if the wrapper has even a pin hole it's non refundable. They give you a 1-800 number to call and voice your opinion Very Happy

I bought a sand blaster there about 20 yrs ago, it was crap too never worked right.
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

I've bought HF stuff for a few years. Digital calipers all sizes, bearing spliter, 20 ton press, bench top blast cab, powder coat kit. All worked addiquitly.
Looking for feed back on the portable garage, 10' x 17'. Any have one? Mixed bag on their reviews, tho mostly good. Some guy was using his as a paint booth. Hadn't thought of that but I'll consider it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

∆ regarding the portable garage, it's okay but only if you live in a good weather location. A friend of mine had one but with 10 inches of snow, it collapsed. Luckily he was only storing a riding mower and some other yard supplies. I would have been extremely angry if I was storing a more expensive item like an automobile.

There's a few YouTube videos of people reinforcing them, ao that's always an option.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Im heading into my 4th Vermont winter with my 99.00 HF "garage". I put down and leveled 4x6 pressure treated beams and screwed the pole supports to those. Also used a batten to screw the bottom edges to those 4x6s. It hasnt moved. Naturally i knock the snow accumulation off when necessary. The zipper on one side of the 'door' stopped working last year but is still keeping my sc out of the weather til I hit the lottery and can build a decent garage Very Happy

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I've never been a fan of this place probably because I have trouble dealing with communist red Chinese made products...

Yep...just like "red" Milwaukee power tools...China. Craftsman...China. Oh, we can avoid China by buying DeWalt...Mexico...nice. Oh yeah...Vise Grips? China.

They don't have to go there, they're just increasing their profit margins (yeah yeah, they can't compete anymore).

I buy American when I can, like my Miller welders, which have Chinese parts in them.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Im heading into my 4th Vermont winter with my 99.00 HF "garage". I put down and leveled 4x6 pressure treated beams and screwed the pole supports to those. Also used a batten to screw the bottom edges to those 4x6s. It hasnt moved. Naturally i knock the snow accumulation off when necessary. The zipper on one side of the 'door' stopped working last year but is still keeping my sc out of the weather til I hit the lottery and can build a decent garage Very Happy

That "garage" has held up 4 years?! I'm thinking of getting one for the bug if my shed is unable to be cleaned soon.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

I'm going to give their 90 amp flux welder a..... meh. It doesn't weld very well at all. Mostly because it is flux core.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Vacuum pump for bleeding brakes etc. failed after 5 minutes and they hassled me about the return. I'm down to just gloves and grinding discs from there.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Gloves, grinding disc, the corded grinder is good too. When it fails, it's cheap enough to just go get another one. Zip ties, tarps, flashlights, jack stands are good too.

I can't complain about the 3-ton hydrologic floor jack. It gets the job done.

Breaker bars are good too. I've never had one break, but if it did... I'll just go get another.

The 2-pack cordless drill and flashlight combo is great. There's usually a coupon for it. And for $20, Its amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Their "F" clamps are pretty good. I haven't tried cranking them down super tight, yet, but they seem sturdy for normal use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-heavy-duty-f-style-welding-clamp-65683.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I've never been a fan of this place probably because I have trouble dealing with communist red Chinese made products...

Yep...just like "red" Milwaukee power tools...China. Craftsman...China. Oh, we can avoid China by buying DeWalt...Mexico...nice. Oh yeah...Vise Grips? China.

They don't have to go there, they're just increasing their profit margins (yeah yeah, they can't compete anymore).

I buy American when I can, like my Miller welders, which have Chinese parts in them.

Exactly all power tools are now owned and/or manufactured by the same company. TTI Group of Hong Kong. Milwaukee was actually the last hold out until early 2015.
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

I've bought a ton of tools here lately, most are working out fine with my very limited useage. The Pittsburg Channelock type pliers are a definite LOSE though. Handles slip when you try to grip a nut or bolt. I've noticed this about every other Chinese locking plier. I also bought both a grinder and a Dremel type tool that lasted one use.

It's a real shame if there are no American power tool companies left. I would hate to be a mechanic these days trying to make a living with Chinese tools.
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

100-piece Security Bit Set is fail.

The T25 torx shredded when replacing a sheet metal bolt in a plastic housing.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Vulcan OmniPro 220 Tig/Mig/Stick welder.

I picked up one of these a few weeks ago. I am reassembling and repairing a '61 Kombi. Every horizontal surface needs to be replaced. I wish I was exaggerating. (Search "goat'el" in the split bus Forum for proof) Anyway, I have a HF Chicago Electric Mig that I have had for 20 years which has served me very well being that I am merely a hobbyist and not using it to make a living. The machine was never a problem. Mostly it was my lack of patience and/or inexperience that was the issue. When I bought my current project I, by necessity, had to step up my fabrication, fitment and welding game. One result of this has been coming to realize the limitations of my equipment.
I learned to Tig weld 40 years ago when that technology was completely out of reach for the home enthusiast. Being that I have always preferred Gas welding and brazing to Arc welding I was drawn to Tig and really enjoyed it.
Fast forward 40 years and the Technology has caught up with the hobbyists. I figured i could just buy one of the HF stand alone Tig inverters. But they are almost 1/2 the cost of a HF entry level combination machine. It just made sense to combine three techniques that I mostly employ currently into one setup.
Well, after buying the machine, a cart and an Argon bottle, I was ready. I cut up some 18ga sheet steel I had laying around into a handful of test coupons and set about practicing something I hadn't done in 40 years.
WOW! I don't want to sound like a shill for HF. But this new machine is spectacular. I was laying down really nice beads after about 30 minutes. The machine is child's play to set up. It would have been plug and play. But my old reflexes took a bit to settle into the pattern. I burned up a lot of rod just practicing.
If you are even thinking about adding Tig to your skill set, I can't recommend this rig highly enough. The price, construction and ease of setup and use are just what I asked for. Next I will hook up the Mig part and dial that in. I can't wait!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Has anyone purchased a new Hercules or Bauer 20V drill. My deWalt is all but dead and looking to replace.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result...mp;q=drill
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy anything but Dewalt. I have one that is 7 years old and still working. It throws a few sparks but puts along.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Thanks, yeah enjoyed my DeWalt but both batteries combined only last 20 minutes. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread Reply with quote

Buy new batteries. You have to do that once every few years. I have a corded Dewalt for long term use.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: