Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New "SOLEX" 32mm Carburetor Woes / Rough Idle!!
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: New "SOLEX" 32mm Carburetor Woes / Rough Idle!! Reply with quote

Has anybody else experienced rough idling/stubbling, carbs wont synch, etc, etc with the new immitation "SOLEX" 32mm carbs that are coming out of China/India? Part of problem is because of the loose/sloppy throttleshafts. When they bore the carb for the throttleshaft, the bore is too large and allows air to bypass through the throttleshaft bore. This causes uneven idling, stubbling, "hunting", etc, etc. I solved this problem by installing silicone impregnated bronze bushings and removing the white plastic "O" rings that I think are there to make up for the sloppy bore! Once the bores are sleeved and reamed to the throttleshaft dimentions, you elimate the possibility of air "seeping" bypass this area hence much more imporoved engine performance! See this link below that shows detailed photos. Enjoy! Mr. Okrasa Cool

http://ImageEvent.com/mrokrasa/carburetorssolexzenithweber/newsolex32mmrebush

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

You mentioned that part of the idling problem is related to the way the throttle shafts are mounted. Are there any other common problems we should know about?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, what are you doing to keep the throttle shafts center IE butterfly. I have found on the sets I've done that you can not really tighten the linkage pieces or it will pull the shaft/butterfly one way or the other and cause them to bind.

I made some brass spacers to prevent this. Luckily I haven't had any with loose shafts except maybe one on my Bonneville engine has started to seep a little from the shaft now! But still starts and idles smoothy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flavio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same problems with mine...
After a friend machinist installed new brass bushings, (using some old VW valve guides) they became much better in respect to idling and also transition.
About the In and Out shaft play, that I think Splitpile is refering to, I've done nothing about it because with mine carburetors the described in/out play only "happens" when the throttle is almost fully open and also when fully open. I've considered that this is not a too bad thing... am I right about this ?

BTW, another thing: comparing the original jeting 32 Solex with this Indian copies, I've noticed that the small Idle Air Bleed is a 160 jet but the original has a 100 jet (1 mm). I've tried to put a 100 jet there...no way...too rich.

Also, I've found that the carbs work better with a 24 mm. venturi and a 120 or 117 Main jet.
Testing yet to find if a 45 idle jet is better than the stock 50.

Note: my engine has stock 36 Hp crank and cam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

You mentioned that part of the idling problem is related to the way the throttle shafts are mounted. Are there any other common problems we should know about?
Cheers,
Paul

Paul

My first impression of the carb was pretty good until I wiggled the throttleshaft and noticed that their was excessive play. Also, a steel throttleshaft would have been better than the brass since the early original SOLEX carbs also used a brass shafts that wore out prematurely. This was remedied with the steel later on. Installing bronze bushings would cure the loose shafts and also aid in wear resistance on the "soft" brass throttleshaft. I have not ran these carbs yet but hope to do so when Steve G's 36hp engine is completed. Cheers, Mr. Okrasa Cool

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rwoodshvac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Solex 32 and 34 PBIC Reply with quote

I have a set of the WW Solex Repro 32 carbs and i have a set or Repro Solex 34 PBICs from SCAT.
Both sets had way to much slop in the throttle shafts.

Since i have decided to use the 34 PBICs i sent them out to Joe Mr Okrasa to see if he could help them.

I must say i am Super Impressed with how they turned out. Before they were sloppy and rough feeling
Now after Joe's magic they are butter smooth almost like bearings were installed. NO SLOP what so ever.

This is one job that was undersold and over delivered
Thanks Joe
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Porsche 356 B Rods
Shasta Cylinders with JE Pistons 80mm
WW Okrasa Heads worked by Ron Chuck
Speedwell Ratio Rockers 1.25
Dual Valve Springs w/Lash Caps
Blackline Racing Lifter Inserts, Manton Push Rods
34 Pbic Carbs rebushed by Mr Okrasa
Custom Okrasa Intakes enlarged to 34mm
Gene Burg Sump
Fram bypass Filter with Okrasa Oil Cooler
Vedderism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New "SOLEX" 32mm Carburetor Woes / Rough Idle!! Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully installed and ran the WW 32’s with the jets they come with?
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New "SOLEX" 32mm Carburetor Woes / Rough Idle!! Reply with quote

Vedderism wrote:
Has anyone successfully installed and ran the WW 32’s with the jets they come with?

Yes, I did on a 64x 83mm 36hp engine with the WW street cam. From very first cold start on a fresh rebuild they ran GREAT, I have zero complaints.
I did eventually do a size down on the jets, I do think it helped a little, but not anything terribly noticable.
It's run great from day 1 and I put 2200 miles on it this year.
Swapping the 019 to a BR25/ 010 made a bigger difference than swapping the jets.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vedderism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New "SOLEX" 32mm Carburetor Woes / Rough Idle!! Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
Vedderism wrote:

Yes, I did on a 64x 83mm 36hp engine with the WW street cam. From very first cold start on a fresh rebuild they ran GREAT, I have zero complaints.
I did eventually do a size down on the jets, I do think it helped a little, but not anything terribly noticable.
It's run great from day 1 and I put 2200 miles on it this year.
Swapping the 019 to a BR25/ 010 made a bigger difference than swapping the jets.

Great looking engine!
Can you tell me your jet sizing?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: