Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holes in engine case - What for?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

Guys, forgive my ignorance, but what are these holes for???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

The bottom one is for a T3 oil dipstick adapter...the case will come with a plate to block it off for T1 applications

I should know, but have no idea what the top one is for
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

I don't know about the one in the upper right, but the lower (left) one is a hole for a type 3 oil filler. That case is universal and can be used with types 1, 2 or 3.

For non-type 3 applications you would use a block off plate on that oil filler opening.
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

As others have said the bottom hole is for the type3 dipstick.
The upper one is for the VW dealership diagnostic system. I believe there was a tdc sensor that went there
1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

OK, thanks guys. I knew I had to bolt a cover over the lower one, but didn't know why it was there in the first place.

As for the upper one for a crank position sensor... is there a standard means of plugging it that has gained wide consensus?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

jismay wrote:
As others have said the bottom hole is for the type3 dipstick.
The upper one is for the VW dealership diagnostic system. I believe there was a tdc sensor that went there

yes, my as21 case has that. i believe its just a magnetic style sensor.

i wonder if they should be plugged to keep crap from entering the bell housing or to keep clutch pad dust from escaping the housing?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740086 Same part for type 1.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vintagemx0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

Thank busdaddy and everyone. Mystery quickly solved!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

Use some foil tape over it. I also use it on the cooler tins. Seals real nice.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Holes in engine case - What for? Reply with quote

Any plastic plug that fits the hole will work. I used a thread protector cap off a Swagelok fitting on my type 4 engine. I will do the same for my AS21.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: