Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery maintainer
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Battery maintainer Reply with quote

In one of the past forums someone mentioned a "battery maintainer". I am wondering, if attached to shorepower, can I use one of these maintainers to keep my starter battery charged when/if camped at an electrical site? Does it convert the electricity from AC to DC? Thanks!
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely use a maintainer to help keep your battery topped up while camping at a site with 120V power. I used a Deltran Battery Tender Plus for several years with good results before I installed a solar setup:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU

In a full Westy, you can use the spare electrical socket inside the cabinet next to the fridge to keep the charger out of the way. The flat 2 quick-connector can be left attached to your battery permanently and then hooked up only when you need it.

The battery tender does change the power from AC to DC and has an automatic "smart charging" program that will keep your battery from overcharging.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bunch in our group have had great success with the Stanley 6 amp automatic charger available at Lowes for $30. over the 1.5amp schumacher maintainer I had used for years.. I put them on my lawn & garden machines now.(they're sealed units).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any concern with leaving the battery installed in the van while using one of these charger/maintainers?

I've seen people do it this way, but all the manuals I've read say to remove the battery before charging it.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to disconnect the battery when using a smart charger. I have been known to leave my van on a battery tender for months at a time when it is in storage for the winter.

When using an old school high amperage manual charger it might be worth disconnecting the battery (to avoid overcharging and cooking electrolyte, overheating and melting the battery case etc), but any modern automatic charger can be hooked up with the battery in the vehicle. Many chargers now come with a quick connect adapter with ring terminals that can stay on the battery full time. Then connecting your charger is as simple as plugging in any household appliance.

http://batterytender.com/accessories/ring-terminal-harness.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question but here it goes. If you have your batteries wired up in a parallel, do you need to attach the batterie maintainer to each batterie or just one of the batteries? Or if it is wired in a series? Thanks
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In series (double voltage, same capacity) with two 6V batteries, connect a 12V charger to battery #1 positive and battery #2 negative.

In parallel (same voltage, double capacity) with two 12V batteries, connect 12V charger in correct polarity to either battery.

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using two Schumacker maintainers for awhile. They are two amp chargers and I leave
them hard wired to the batteries in my Westy. Also I plug my Westy into "House Power" while
it sits in my driveway, haven't had a problem with the either battery. I like these maintainers
for their quality and function, also their size is a factor. Small enough to hide under the sink and
still leave room for other things.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
a bunch in our group have had great success with the Stanley 6 amp automatic charger available at Lowes for $30. over the 1.5amp schumacher maintainer I had used for years.. I put them on my lawn & garden machines now.(they're sealed units).

It sounds like a 6 amp charger would charge the batter y faster than a 1.5 amp one, is that correct? I have an old Schumacher, and it does not seem to work very well; I'm looking for a new one.

Jay, that one you posted looks nice, but it's frikkin HUGE - 11" x 11" x 4" according to the specs on the website.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments about charging the batteries while still installed in the bus.

Recently I got this 2/4/6 amp charger and it seems to work well:
http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026804ACP

Not really small enough to leave it installed all the time, but still does a nice job when needed.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Huskey branded charger 2/6. It's about half the size of a shoe box. When I bought it was near the $20-$25 price range.

Mark
ChilliConCarnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery maintainer Reply with quote

Vinzanto wrote:
I am wondering, if attached to shorepower, can I use one of these maintainers to keep my starter battery charged when/if camped at an electrical site? Does it convert the electricity from AC to DC? Thanks!

This may be over-kill for your application, but I really like the ProMariner ProSport dual battery charger that I installed behind the driver seat. I also have solar, but when I'm at a location with shore power, this has proven to work great. It's permanently mounted, and always plugged into the outlet inside the westy cabinet, so whenever I plug the van into shore power, it automatically keeps the batteries charged, and charges my starter battery seperately from my two house batteries.

I'm able to run all the lights, charge up cell phones and laptops (on 12V), and run the stereo with nary a drop in power. We just camped for 8 days in Winthrop, and never had to worry about the batteries.

It comes in 8, 12, or 20 amp versions (I have the 12), and is available at marine stores. GoWesty also carries them.

Here it is in my van:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GoWesty link:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4339&category_id=337&category_parent_id=
03 Passat V6 4Motion

Sold:
62 T2 Double Door panel
72 T2 7-passenger
98 Jetta
97 Passat VR6
87 Audi 5000
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starting at $120 that's alot of scratch..
the Stanley $30 6amp ones have no problem keeping up with my 12v fridge & furnace combo
not saying the marine split units aren't nice but....
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
You can definitely use a maintainer to help keep your battery topped up while camping at a site with 120V power. I used a Deltran Battery Tender Plus for several years with good results before I installed a solar setup:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU

In a full Westy, you can use the spare electrical socket inside the cabinet next to the fridge to keep the charger out of the way. The flat 2 quick-connector can be left attached to your battery permanently and then hooked up only when you need it.

The battery tender does change the power from AC to DC and has an automatic "smart charging" program that will keep your battery from overcharging.

Jay, Which solar set up did you install?
Thanks
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jules,

I have a 100W monocrystalline panel hooked up to a BatteryMinder SCC180 charge controller. With solar becoming so affordable lately, I would probably go with something closer to 150W and a MorningStar PS-15 charge controller if I was doing my install now.

jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the CTEK MULTI US 3300. It's fully automatic,and remembers your settings. I have it installed behind the drivers seat on the cabinet wall,plugged into the extra fridge plug and hard wired to the house battery.When ever the shore power is connected it starts charging if needed. It does a four step charge.Compact and simple.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i paid about $100 for the BatteryMinder 12248
http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=12248. Everytime I plug into shorepower, it needs to be set to 2/4/8 amps. Originally it was mounted under the TruckFridge and next to the Propex, but I have since moved it to the side of the galley behind the driver's seat for easier access. I don't like it's size and the fact that it doesn't remember settings, but it seems to work well otherwise.

EDIT: Just reread the OP. Sounds like you may not have an aux. battery and want an onboard charger for the starter only? In the case of the dual battery setup, however, a battery combiner like the Yandina will charge both batteries once it detects the appropriate voltage coming from the charger (through the aux. battery). I've always assumed this, so somone please correct me if I'm wrong. There must be a good reason why some are installing dual bank chargers, so please enlighten.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
There must be a good reason why some are installing dual bank chargers, so please enlighten.

Not everyone uses voltage sensing relays.
Windig89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery maintainer Reply with quote

ChilliConCarnage wrote:
Vinzanto wrote:
I am wondering, if attached to shorepower, can I use one of these maintainers to keep my starter battery charged when/if camped at an electrical site? Does it convert the electricity from AC to DC? Thanks!

This may be over-kill for your application, but I really like the ProMariner ProSport dual battery charger that I installed behind the driver seat. I also have solar, but when I'm at a location with shore power, this has proven to work great. It's permanently mounted, and always plugged into the outlet inside the westy cabinet, so whenever I plug the van into shore power, it automatically keeps the batteries charged, and charges my starter battery seperately from my two house batteries.

I'm able to run all the lights, charge up cell phones and laptops (on 12V), and run the stereo with nary a drop in power. We just camped for 8 days in Winthrop, and never had to worry about the batteries.

It comes in 8, 12, or 20 amp versions (I have the 12), and is available at marine stores. GoWesty also carries them.

Here it is in my van:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GoWesty link:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4339&category_id=337&category_parent_id=

X 2 the prosport is the way to go. dual bank keeps everything maintained. I plug into shore power everytime the van sits...
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a quetion that Jay could probably answer;

I have the two battery maintainers connected to each battery bank, one seems to have "bought it". Not charging
the way it had in the past, so I swaped the maintaioners and charging as per usual now.

My question has two parts, Any sure way to check the function of the dead maintainer, to make sure that it's dead?

Second part is the maintainer connected to batteries in paralell, do I connect the Positive wire
to the Positive terminal on one battery and connect the Negitive wire to the Negitive terminal on the
opposite battery in the run? I have a three battery bank in paralell for my house battery.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: