Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Window Question (Dogs like air)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PacNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Sliding Window Question (Dogs like air) Reply with quote

Hey all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to flip/reverse the sliding window on the passenger side/sliding door of an '89 Westy? This would essentially allow the opening to be further back on the sliding door.

When we travel, we put the bottom bed down and the dogs hop on that while we drive. They're used to putting their heads out the window, so this would allow at least one of them to do that.

I've researched and found that some folks are brave enough to install sliding windows in the rear portion on the passenger side of their vans. However, the safety concerns are just too great for me to take on. Just the thought of one of the dogs hanging out the window and a drunken friend sliding the door full force scares the shit out of me.

Because we travel with the bottom bed down, flipping/reversing the passenger door sliding window might be a quick, easy solution. Would this allow water to seep through? Anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1541150
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure I may be qualified to offer some insight here.. as I have both.
a rear corner slider and it's installed backwards..

I have no troubles with the backwards seal. and if you want you can renew the whisker seal while you have the window out..
which/how your reversed window works depends on year of your van. as the 86+ vans have a smaller (unique) sliding door window. and you can not use the DS one on the PS in the sliding door.
you can flip your PS small window upside down but the latch (and water drain slots) will be on the top and not the bottom

now to the scared shitless of a drunken friend decapitating my dog..
#1 my dog is smarter than my friends when they are sober. Shhh (I can't speak for anyones child though) Confused
#2 the rear corner slider opens aft of the sliding door so there's room.
#3 if you even so much as touch the sliding door handle, my dog (and any I've known) would no longer be in the back with head out the window, but eagerly at the slider awaiting it to open.. Pray
#4 back to those drunken friends getting into my van Shame on you

you would use a passenger van side window to make a rear corner slider, DS or PS depending on which way you want it to open..

you can likely completely dissassemble your small PS slider, and flip the glass inside out and have the latch & drains on the bottom even after flipped, but you would need to use a DS locking bar, and a longer DS one cut down to fit your smaller PS frame..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PacNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the reply. We have three incredibly smart dogs but it's others that I don't trust. We have essentially ruled out putting in a rear sliding window in the rear PS.

At one point I did think about fabricating a little 90° arm that (when flipped down) would prevent the sliding door from opening all the way. Still though, too much risk. We camp too frequently with too many people.

While I consider myself fairly handy, windows is something I do not want to mess with. Moose is in really good shape and I'd like to keep her that way. So, to simplify my question, would "flipping/reversing" my window be something that a local professional window shop could do?

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily. But you may need to get new weatherstripping. I might even go so far as to say it might be adviseable to get a new weatherstrip even if the other doesn't tear when you remove the window. And fix any rust you find while you are in there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes easy for a glass shop to remove it and reinstall it upside down.
but if you want the latch on the bottom, it'll need to be completely dissassembled and the glass flipped. you'll also need a DS lockbar to shorten to fit.
PacNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
you'll also need a DS lockbar to shorten to fit.

Interesting... How/what do you mean? Any pictures would be super helpful. Anything online that you can point me to?

mzalac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Sliding Window Question Reply with quote

I'm also wondering the same thing.

But I would like to do it to the driver side (DS) and the passenger side (PS) sliding windows. The reason is for safety and better air flow. The safety issue is I'm worried someone can bust through the screens when the sliding windows are open when we're sleeping and unlock the sliding door, the passenger door as well as the driver door. I live in Waikiki, Oahu, HI and we camp all over the island. But there is a real bad homeless and drug addict problem here. The air flow issue is for the passengers in the back seat. It would be a lot better if the windows opened back there instead where there opening now. Definite design flaw...

So, I'm going to try with the sliding door first. Because the seal on the inside has some rubber missing and it needs to be replaced. I don't want to cut the seal. Because the DS sliding window seal is in great shape.

I'll keep you posted...
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some detail here www.griffco.ca/interest/ and look for the slider mod.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure kid/dogs head is inside can before opening door or you'll end up with a meaty stub inside the van.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install Westy slider screens and the danger of opening the sliding door goes away.
NorBullitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im also considering considering either reversing the sliding window, making a rear sliding window, or buying one (horribly expensive).
Idealy I would like the rear portion of the rear window opening for two reasons;
Air for my dog while driving, and ventilation for me while sleeping.

As for the dog decapitation concern, I figure this;

My dog (and most dogs I know) is fairly smart with high self-preservation skills. But more important;
It is also much much faster than a ninja on speed trained in the art of quick door-opening Smile
If you are unsure, try opening the sliding door controlled a couple of times while the dog is there.
After a few tries it will probably react to the sound of the door handle, and respond before the door even moves...
Fhak915
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest buying a set of used sliders and completely disassembling them. They are constructed in a very simple manor, and you will learn everything you need to know about these windows. With the two windows you can exchange the lock bar and rebuild them in the opposite direction. The glass will be flipped around so if you have tint, it will now end up on the outside or will need to be replaced.
The best way to customizing is to get your hand dirty.
I am in the process of making rear sliders by for my van. I dont see the safety concerns as that serious, but you can always make a screen if your worried.
mzalac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a guy in HI that can do the reverse on both sliding windows for $800.00.
He removes both sliding windows from the van.
He will only save the good seals.
He cuts old seals and replaces with new ones.
He removes old tint and replaces with new tint.
He repairs the screens.
He reinstalls reversed sliding windows.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well h@ly fruk, I'd do that job for $400.. with a 1day turn around..
must be HI prices..

mzalac wrote:
I found a guy in HI that can do the reverse on both sliding windows for $800.00.
He removes both sliding windows from the van.
He will only save the good seals.
He cuts old seals and replaces with new ones.
He removes old tint and replaces with new tint.
He repairs the screens.
He reinstalls reversed sliding windows.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
$800.00
Seems like a lot. That said, I don't think there is enough money for me to rebuild another set of jalousie windows and adapt to a vanagon. So, maybe $800 is fair. I would think it could be done 4 hours per window. So That times the labor rate.
mzalac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pics of your work Fhak915 & danfromsyr?

Or does anyone have pics of doing this?

Because every Westy I've looked at in this forum and in person doesn't have it done. Makes perfect air circulation for the passengers in the rear when your driving the Westy. And, its great circulation for you when your sleeping in your Westy.

Seems to me it would be a lot of work removing the window seals without cutting them. Cutting is super easy, i agree. But I don't want to cut mine because there in great shape. I don't want to spend $45 x 2 for new seals. Then there's removing the aluminum pieces without bending them much. That to me looks more difficult and even more time consuming.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no pics

buit get about 6 of these paint can openers.. they are handy for removing and installing the rubbers
insert hook up, twist 180* to hook the metal lip of the van body and lever the rubber up, you canhold in lace about 4 of them with yoru hands.. well if you have a good finger spread. the windows pop out fairly easily.. more so with experiance.. jsut don't drop them on the floor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mzalac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks danfromsyr!

How long does this take?
Do I get the aluminum apart with those as well?
Can I scrape my tint off with those? (Just Kidding)
How do you reverse the opening?
I would like the opening to be near the rear seat instead of behind the front seats.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to remove shouldonly take 15ish minutes.. once it starts to move the rubber will flex out easier as it goes..

there are alot of internet advise on removing tint, far better than I know.. though I believe it involved saran wrap or a garbage bag.

you have a "small" sliding door window it is unique to the Drivers side or the 80-84 sliding door windows. that's just an FYI.

to reverse the window you'll need to completely dissassemble the glass from the frames.. I used a (bessy bar clamp) that has a reverse motion.. one that will spread as well as clamp.. this I used to spread the aluminum frame open off the glass. and then install is reverse of the process.

here's the 1 piece you will be lacking.. the lower LOCK bar that the sliding portion latches to.. you need to acquire one from a Drivers side.. as the window will now be opening in the opposite direction.
it'll be too long so you'll need to shorten it to match the smaller window.

it's been a while since I'd done it and my memory isn't perfect these days.

mzalac wrote:
Thanks danfromsyr!

How long does this take?
Do I get the aluminum apart with those as well?
Can I scrape my tint off with those? (Just Kidding)
How do you reverse the opening?
I would like the opening to be near the rear seat instead of behind the front seats.

mzalac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you danfromsyr!

This will be my weekend chore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: