Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure buzzer preceding alternator belt break?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scavengers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Oil pressure buzzer preceding alternator belt break? Reply with quote

Hoping to solve a mystery. Had the oil pressure buzzer start going off intermittently after a long hill climb in hot weather. Pulled over, let it cool down, then continued driving. Then the v-belt on the alternator broke!

Does anyone know of a reason why the oil pressure buzzer would start going off 30 minutes before the alternator belt gave out? I've got a new belt on now, but I don't know if this oil buzzer was related, or just another coincidental issue.

As a sidenote, I had the pressure sensor(s)? checked out and replaced about a year ago. And the day prior to this, I had filled up the oil from a very low level.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. If I knew these things were related I'd feel a lot safer taking it back on the road.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure buzzer preceding alternator belt break? Reply with quote

I can see no reason why these two events would be related. Well, I guess maybe the belt was slipping constantly, your coolant temps had climbed because it drives the water pump too, and your oil had heated up in relation to it? But, I think that combination is actually less likely than a coincidence of timing. You should probably do an oil pressure test next.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure buzzer preceding alternator belt break? Reply with quote

The belt knocked the wire of the high pressure sending unit next to the l/s of the crank pulley. Pain to access.
scavengers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure buzzer preceding alternator belt break? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I could benefit from installing an oil pressure gauge for future peace of mind.
me4ou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure buzzer preceding alternator belt break? Reply with quote

There is a small possibility that the V belt was slipping and the water pump wasn't spinning quite so well thus more heat -> low oil pressure.

scavengers wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I could benefit from installing an oil pressure gauge for future peace of mind.

I can't find the quote, but there was a guy here on the forum, who said that all an oil pressure gauge does is give you a heart attack every 10 miles.

I had a lot of trouble with oil pressure and for now I picked this solution. 10W60 might not be ideal for colder climates, some people use 15W50 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl477GxEXFs
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure buzzer preceding alternator belt break? Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a lot of trouble with oil pressure and for now I picked this solution.

Oil pressure is a result of engine tolerances. Your solution might be giving you peace of mind, but the oil pressure gauge has been trying to warn you that your engine is worn out. Once a connecting rod detaches from the crankshaft and exits the case, you've got nothing left you can rebuild. You've already made your decision. My comment is more directed at the next person that comes along this thread searching for help with their oil pressure buzzer.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure buzzer preceding alternator belt break? Reply with quote

me4ou wrote:
There is a small possibility that the V belt was slipping and the water pump wasn't spinning quite so well thus more heat -> low oil pressure.

scavengers wrote:

I can't find the quote, but there was a guy here on the forum, who said that all an oil pressure gauge does is give you a heart attack every 10 miles.

I had a lot of trouble with oil pressure and for now I picked this solution. 10W60 might not be ideal for colder climates, some people use 15W50 as well.

I find quite the opposite to be true.
An Oil Pressure Gauge actually provides peace of mind.
Even if it is low, at least you know what you have.

Dumping thick oil in and pretending all is well is a coping mechanism, but not a long lasting one.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure buzzer preceding alternator belt break? Reply with quote

I think he’s trying to drive folks to his you tube. This was posted in another thread this morning.

me4ou wrote:
You might find this video useful. I started using 10W40 since I struggled a lot with low oil pressure while using 10W40. I guess it might not be well suited for colder climates, but for me it works perfect!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: