Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

irritating squeek
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
the AFT trick ill try...the neighbors could care less...they know me Twisted Evil plus, itll clean it a bit right?

ill do it when im the only one home in the hood. Wink

Cool, bring your camera, also keep in mind it'll lay down a smoke screen for the first mile you drive it too Razz And yes it'll clean the combustion chambers and free stuck rings. like a tune up in a can Wink

how much atf and where do i pour it again? and if i drain it shortly after, can i add it to my oil? iv done that before to free lifters...would it clean bearings and seals too?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
the AFT trick ill try...the neighbors could care less...they know me Twisted Evil plus, itll clean it a bit right?

Cool, bring your camera, also keep in mind it'll lay down a smoke screen for the first mile you drive it too Razz And yes it'll clean the combustion chambers and free stuck rings. like a tune up in a can Wink

how much atf and where do i pour it again? and if i drain it shortly after, can i add it to my oil? iv done that before to free lifters...would it clean bearings and seals too?

Find a vacuum line that's drawing a good vacuum at idle as well as part throttle and suck it up with that, or add a tube to a small funnel and pour it into the AFM opening when the airfilter's off. about 1/2 quart will be lots, you want to trickle it in as fast as possible without killing the engine, you will have to open the throttle with your other hand when it slows so prepare for that.
The concept here is get in more than the engine can burn but not so much that it kills it completely, the leftovers go out the tailpipe (mostly as smoke) on a healthy motor but if the headgasket is leaking you'll also get some out there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Find a vacuum line that's drawing a good vacuum at idle as well as part throttle and suck it up with that, or add a tube to a small funnel and pour it into the AFM opening when the airfilter's off. about 1/2 quart will be lots, you want to trickle it in as fast as possible without killing the engine, you will have to open the throttle with your other hand when it slows so prepare for that.
The concept here is get in more than the engine can burn but not so much that it kills it completely, the leftovers go out the tailpipe (mostly as smoke) on a healthy motor but if the headgasket is leaking you'll also get some out there.

and what if i add to much? hydraulic my motor and have to get a new one? Sad

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

and what if i add to much? hydraulic my motor and have to get a new one? Sad

Unless you suddenly dump more than a cup+ in that won't happen, there is the chance you will kill it and it'll be hard to restart but find the balance between almost dying and more throttle and you'll be good.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, before i added any ATF, i checcked my compression....it went badly....

125, 110, 100, 125.

1-2-3-4

looks like i have a more serious issue arising than i wanted. Sad luckily i wont be driving the bus to much this summer....if i can land a delivery (pizza) job again locally, ill be driving a 98 pontiac sunfire, (sisters car) so i would be able to save up a bit to get the work done to it that i need. by get work done to it, i mean get the heads redone by adrian at headflow masters, have my fuel injectors redone by one of the samba-ites, (cruzin performance or witch dudes...), and have the machine work done, but ill probably attempt to just builb the motor myself. im fairly mechanically inclined, and ill probably builb the thing for a serious torque improvement. (cam and ported new exhaust ect...)

all this is in the dream stage and depends on if and when i get a job too....so i might as well look into a turbo of some sort (1-5 PSI) while im at it.... Twisted Evil

any ideas on how to determine why they are low (2 and 3)? and 3 head gasket is most likely bad, based on the compression readings.
the way i did the testt was run the motor for 5 minutes or so (smooth, idles fine and revs okay) and then let it sit for 5 minutes to cool a bit. then, i removed all the freshly cleaned spark plugs (all black again, How do i tune the AFM, or should i look for a vacuum leak more?). next, i started on 3, did 4, did 2, did 1, all three cycles each (crank for 8 puffs of compression, then check reading, repeat 3x) and then did 3 again....all got the same result each time.

hydraulic valves are adjusted at half a turn each roughly as directed by Bow Wow....should i adjust again?

still has power and runs fine...but squeak is irritating as hell...ill try and post a video...after i put it all back together....Wink

i didnt proof read....too long...Razz

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonna go do a second test while its cold...see if it changes... Pray

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't panic yet. I don't accept Bow Wow's advice to adjust the valves to 1/2 turn each. I would redo the valve adjust to exactly 1.5 turns past contact. Then I would run the compression test again. I have tried virtually every conceivable variation of valve settings on hydraulics, and there is no doubt in my mind that 1.5 turns is the sweet spot.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Do you have a catalytic convertor on the bus? When they plug up they cause back pressure that comes out weird places and noises.

2. The lower compression could indicate a small head leak but at 100 PSI you should have plenty of power on that cylinder still. That engine should give you more than enough to get around.

3. When you checked the valve adjustment did you by chance verify that the pushrod tube retainer sping wires are still in the right place and not rubbing on anything.

4. I would not try to loose up carbon at this time. If you loosen it on the rings you loosen it on the heads too so a head leak may get worse. You can work your way around the heads to the bolts you can get to and take each to about 50% of specified torque. If any are below that you may want to pull the engine and tighten all of them - or pull the heads and have them inspected.

5. Did you ever pull the alternator belt to see if it stopped?

HF has a mechanics stethoscope really cheap. What you want it a long thin tube you can probe into different areas with looking for that squeak
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
I wouldn't panic yet. I don't accept Bow Wow's advice to adjust the valves to 1/2 turn each. I would redo the valve adjust to exactly 1.5 turns past contact. Then I would run the compression test again. I have tried virtually every conceivable variation of valve settings on hydraulics, and there is no doubt in my mind that 1.5 turns is the sweet spot.

i thought about that, and i adjusted all to exactly 2.5 HALF turns (1.25 total turns in after contact) and then re tested compression with the same results. i did that test cold, but got the same results.

SGKent wrote:
1. Do you have a catalytic convertor on the bus? When they plug up they cause back pressure that comes out weird places and noises.

2. The lower compression could indicate a small head leak but at 100 PSI you should have plenty of power on that cylinder still. That engine should give you more than enough to get around.

3. When you checked the valve adjustment did you by chance verify that the pushrod tube retainer sping wires are still in the right place and not rubbing on anything.

4. I would not try to loose up carbon at this time. If you loosen it on the rings you loosen it on the heads too so a head leak may get worse. You can work your way around the heads to the bolts you can get to and take each to about 50% of specified torque. If any are below that you may want to pull the engine and tighten all of them - or pull the heads and have them inspected.

5. Did you ever pull the alternator belt to see if it stopped?

HF has a mechanics stethoscope really cheap. What you want it a long thin tube you can probe into different areas with looking for that squeak

checked the valves and the return spring on the push rob tubes. all good and freshly adjusted. i have no catalytic converter.
i also got power back. i redid the timing, and then put in a few gallons of gas d'oh! Rolling Eyes Brick wall Anxious (i was a bit of a moron at first.......knew i was outta gas and didnt fix that first....that was the majority of the power issue .... Rolling Eyes )

the noise is off the third cylinder, as i had very minimal noise when the plug and the pressure gauge was off that cylinder, but i had the noise come back each time i tested #3, which is why i ended up testing that cylinder so many times, to trace the noise. it a low speed squeak now too...i can sometime hear it when cranking it over....only happens when the third plug fires. it really is pointing at the gasket going out, or the head is leaking near the edges. i think its about time to do the heads anyways because i have no idea what shape they are in ... Rolling Eyes and i want to know my engine inside and out...so its time to do it this year...

it now officially on the list of to dos as soon as i land a job..... Pray

as for the belt, its tight, and grippy, and pretty sure its not that. i would say totally sure, but i like to keep my options open. i will take the belt off for a vid as well...gotta get a good camera (dads phone) out there to take the video so ill try and get that tomorrow if i get a chance before my trip to cle elum area for a camping trip.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason i panic at the numbers is that they all dropped from 130 in about 2 months...when i pulled the engine for my busted clutch cable....i got 125-130 all around before and after i did that engine pull....why would it drop that much so soon?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: