Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor Thrust Washers?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrellfostermusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Distributor Thrust Washers? Reply with quote

Hello! I'm in the middle of putting the engine back together after a rebuild, and discovered that there was supposed to be 2 thrust washers with the distributor. I'm about 80% sure that when I pulled apart the engine there weren't any in there. How necessary are they? I can't find them at any of the typical vw sites I get my parts from. If you think I need them, does anyone have an idea where to pick them up?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are necessary, without them the lash between pinion gear and crankshaft worm gear will be too tight resulting in chewing up the brass worm. Use two shims. Not one, not three. GWAutoparts, VC, and other vendors have these.

And now you know to go in with a magnet and fish out those shims whenever you pull out a diz pinion. Once bitten....

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Thrust Washers? Reply with quote

Since the subject fits, I will save creating a new thread.

On my 1983 air cooled 2.0, I see only one thrust washer after removing the distributor drive shaft carefully with a magnet. The one thrust washer does not sit flat, as I think a shim would, rather it has three little bumps or waves in it.

As I look at the Bentley, on page 13.6, the diagram indicates Thrust Washer (singular), and only shows one washer. On page 13.34, the diagram for the 1.9l water boxer, the diagram indicates Thrust Washers (plural), and shows two washers.

My question is simply, how many thrust washers should an air cooled Vanagon 2.0l have, one or two?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Thrust Washers? Reply with quote

Don't know about Vanagons but Type 1 has 2 and Type 3 has 1.

Update... I checked the ETKA microfiche and it shows only 1 thrust washer under the driveshaft.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Thrust Washers? Reply with quote

From the Distributor Man himself! Thank you, Glenn, for the lookup and reply.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Thrust Washers? Reply with quote

GreenMachineVW wrote:
From the Distributor Man himself! Thank you, Glenn, for the lookup and reply.

Actually, i've never worked on a Vanagon engine or distributor, but I have the ETKA software so you peaked my curiosity.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor Thrust Washers? Reply with quote

For those that don't know ETKA is available online. https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: