Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1986 Inline Gas Vanagon Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendalwoolf. What is the idea behind the front core shutoff valve?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can answer this. That's a pretty common mod, not related to a swap. It keeps your feet from getting hot in the summer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Kendalwoolf. What is the idea behind the front core shutoff valve?

Exactly correct on the shut off. Without it the factory valve never shuts the heat off compleatly, very hot in the summer without it. I mount the valve so I can reach it from in the van so I can shut it off or turn it on as needed from inside the van.

Vanagon Nut wrote:

kendalwoolf: are you keeping the Digifant head with the planned new 2.0? Or are you going to run Motronic?

I am planning on staying with the Digifant head. I am happy with the way everything is working I just know that the little 1.8 engine I have now had a lot of miles on it and a little extra power will be nice.
That will happen maybe in the winter or a few winters from now we will see.
86 Vanagon, 1.8 Digifant http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513537
"but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks. Totally makes sense. Given your alternator post, was thinking ahead to crossover intake height of ABA, engine at 50º. All moot though.

Neil.

kendalwoolf wrote:

I am planning on staying with the Digifant head. I am happy with the way everything is working I just know that the little 1.8 engine I have now had a lot of miles on it and a little extra power will be nice.
That will happen maybe in the winter or a few winters from now we will see.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I guess for my sake not planning or having A/C in the van from stock I can push the alt over to where the Compressor lies and not need the mod to the deck.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just make sure you get enough contact/wrap on the H2o pump.
they don't need 'just enough' they need 'plenty adequate' to keep the pump spinning in the rain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My accelerator cable is solved. No pictures though. I pulled the vanagon cable out completely. I cut the engine end off and removed the cable from the sheath. I then removed the engine end of the sheath so there was just the conduit.

I took a used cable from an 86 golf that had the correct end and cut the pedal end of the cable off and removed the firewall grommet piece so that I ended up with two bare cable conduits. The length was perfect. I took a piece of heat shrink and connected the two conduits. I then slid a piece of 1/4 inch fuel hose over the conduit splice to reinforce the joint.

I went to HD and bought 20 feet of 1/16th cable. More than enough. I installed that with my modified conduit into the van. At the engine end, I cut about 4 inches off of the Golf's cable and attached that to the throttle body. In the lathe, I made a small aluminum sleeve with two set screws opposite each other. The sleeve was drilled to accommodate two cables. One from the throttle body and the new cable I installed into the van.

I secured the set screws with the cable ends passing each other and then moved up front. I tested and there is enough bolt length in the cable clamp to bare down on the cable and secure it without a finished end. I did add a washer to the pivot, so the cable does not ride against the pedal linkage. Pulled the cable tight secured it and reinstalled the cover.

Works great. No fancy brackets and no big bucks. I should have taken pictures, but time is limited and I need to work when I have time. I finally drove the van for the first time around the block. Unfortunately it was running on only 3 cylinders. Compression is good, plug wires are good. I pulled the injectors and sure enough one wire was broken. Whew.

Thank you for the help with the cable. mark
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool

just an FYI, that after years of varying success on a multitude of engine swaps our current Throttle cable setup is to use a length (~12ft) of teflon lined bicycle cable housing with a small (think 7 strand) SS. marine (smallest they have actually) cable and the rubber bike cable 'noodles' to protect the ends from stuff.
I have a small asst kit for making the ends as needed but the most common is to crimp the barrel of a disassembled aluminum rivet to the cable to secure the ends.
I'll be tackling that this week on my 1.8T swap, I'll be sure to take some pics.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a rivet. Smart thinking. I don't think crushing the braided cable is really the best way to do this, but all of this is temporary stuff. Found injector harnesses on fleebay for under $10 shipped to my door. I'll clean the injectors while I have them out.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to Cades Cove, Smoky Mountains TN Reply with quote

kendalwoolf wrote:
With the Gas Tank issue fixed we took the Vanagon to the Great Smoky Mountains. We had a great trip. We camped and Vanagon sleep well. The bed if very comfortable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We made custom curtains for the van. At first we were going to use snaps to attach them but ended up using rare earth magnets. They work great, no holes the van and easy to put up and take down. We ordered the magnets from Leevalley http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=32065&cat=3,42363,42348&ap=1
1/2 inch diameter magnets, that are sewn into pockets in the fabric.
I can post more detailed info on the curtains if needed. Enjoy

I'm thinking of doing this, how did you space the magnets?
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal, with regard to the alternator poking through the engine, lid, my solution to that was as follows:

I used a GM alternator that is rated at 100 amps as the Bosch was too big to fit without modifiying the deck lid. I suspect this was a result of installing the AC in the configuration I did. The GM alternator is quite compact. Surprisingly, the alternator fit with a few washers to space it properly. The Bosch pulley was a direct replacement for the GM unit. The Alt light stayed on using this alternator until a switched 12 volt lead was added to the GM wire equivalent to the VW alternator warning light.

This has worked very nicely for the last nine years flawlessly...and for the new owner's drive to Edmonton (1200 miles) Smile

kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to Cades Cove, Smoky Mountains TN Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm thinking of doing this, how did you space the magnets?

We just spaced the magnets a foot or so apart and sewed pockets to hold the magnets. See the picture below.

86 Vanagon, 1.8 Digifant http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=513537
"but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:20
Richard Feliciano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Inline Gas Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

I have 1987 Vanagon-Camper with automatic transmission. I change to enginee Jetta2.0 with adapter plate (Ken-Co). I need the flywheel to finish.
Richard Feliciano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Inline Gas Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

I have 1987 Vanagon-Camper with automatic transmission. I change to enginee Jetta2.0 with adapter plate (Ken-Co). I need the flywheel to finish.
Richard Feliciano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Inline Gas Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

Richard Feliciano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Inline Gas Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1986 Inline Gas Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

you need a FLEXPLATE to mate the adapter plate to your automatic transmission torque converter.

contact KEnnedy engineering for a 'replacement' flexplate.
http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/default.aspx

KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS

38822 17th Street East
Palmdale, California, 93550
Phone (661) 272–1147
Fax (661) 272-1575
email: [email protected]
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Inline Gas Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

Just an update on the Inline Vanagon.
Had a small leaking head gasket on the the 1.8 engine and decided it was time to move forward with the 2.0 block and 1.8 head swap. One determining factor was when i blew the muffler up with a backfire as a result of a fouled spark plug from the head gasket leak. The pictures below show the muffler damage and the engine removal and build of the new 1.8 head on 2.0 block. Also installed a hotter cam, it was a used Techtonics 260* hydro cam. The idle on the startup and initial run was a little rough but I will need to see if it is the cam or the fact I had no exhaust on the van.
More Pictures and Videos to follow once I get it back from the muffler shop.

Muffler Issue

Engine Removal

1.8 Engine Out

1.8 Engine

Dirty 2.0 ABA Engine, only 60,000 miles on it.

Clean 1.8 Head

1.8 Head on 2.0 Block

Looking more like an Engine

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Inline Gas Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

Will the ABA distributor work with the existing FI system? I needed an adapter from Techtonics when I swapped to an ABA block, but that was with CIS and a mechanical+vacuum distributor .. and I know Digifart has ECU-controlled ignition advance.

Looking good!
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1986 Inline Gas Vanagon Conversion Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Will the ABA distributor work with the existing FI system? I needed an adapter from Techtonics when I swapped to an ABA block, but that was with CIS and a mechanical+vacuum distributor .. and I know Digifart has ECU-controlled ignition advance.

Looking good!

I also used the adapter from Techtonics and changed out the distributor gear. It is possible to use the ABA distributor but you have to switch the single window to 4 window sensor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: