Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our new 78 brat
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Our new 78 brat Reply with quote

It's off topic, so, what the hell.......here is my new basket case that I am bringing back to life....I love subarus, they are die hard cars, and here is the brat after I got a new used motor installed. It proved almost impossible to source some of the rebuild parts, so tracking down a yard motor seemed much more practical. The motor that was in it had 30 lbs in one cylinder, and an unseated intake pushrod on another, and, as subarus do, was still moving itself. Now, hopfully, I can make a driver.

Link

Still sorting out the details, but it is at least moving itself:)
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
green73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these things always wanted one myself! The newer ones are all over the place here in Israel they made em till 1993. Sadly the older ones are getting pretty rare. Keep the updates coming! I'ed love to see it when its done.
1974 Lincoln Continental mark IV
1986 4X4 Nissan pickup
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that's awesome! My parents bought two new Subies on the same day sometime in 1980, back before Subaru decided to overprice the cars. They were some of the best cars we had ever owned. Makes me homesick for the good ol days...lol Laughing
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a really nice brat with a topper running around town and it makes me want one. I do have a factory winch bumper I might use on my bug.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
I see a really nice brat with a topper running around town and it makes me want one. I do have a factory winch bumper I might use on my bug.

If you use that, do not modify it in any way. I have long thought that old Subarus will be the next collectible, and that piece will be highly sought after.

I have owned two Brats (79 and 84), and many other Subarus over the years. They are excellent cars. My wife drives a 95 Legacy wagon currently. Unbelievable snow cars, and very reliable. Their only drawback has been that they are underpowered.

BTW if you didn't know it already, BRAT is an acronym that stands for Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transport.

The rear seats in a BRAT were installed to avoid the chicken tax. A $75 dollar line item on the invoice avoided a $1200 import tariff on trucks.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a 74 suby, it went throughhell for over 20 years, even had a holly 500 cfm 2bbl on it for a while when my brother thought he was a race car driver ( thats another story all togeather) I think the motor still ran great after the body was gone.it was an off road,on road,highway,intown everythingeverywhere car that only brok 1 time that I can remember when the throttel cable broke way back in the woods, we all tied out shoe laces togeather and ran it out the side of the hood and in the drivers window, finished playing in the woods & drove home about 30 miles, then another few days back& fourth to work till we got a cable.that car was a blast.I remember looping it in the rain the first time I drove it to highschool.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another photo of it.

Here is my old 81 wagon. I don't have it any more but I loved it. I had it for a long time, and the po had bought it from a junk yard before I had it. It had stickers from Colorado, a cape cod mass beach permit, and a mexican tourist visa sticker on the windshield. It lived quite a life. Sadly last fall it was just to far gone to really put back on the road as it had sat for about 10 years behind my mothers house as I was busy going to college and growing up, bla bla bla. Here is how it sat.

And here it is about 10 minutes later after I stuck a battery in it. It drove itself out after 10 years. I couldn't believe it. Broke my heart to junk it. But there was really nothing left to the underside.

My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I long thought that old Subarus will be the next collectible,

problem is finding a old subaru to collect Laughing most have evaporated. hell, even newer ones are getting toasty

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

problem is finding a old subaru to collect Laughing most have evaporated. hell, even newer ones are getting toasty

They come up on craigslist once in a while around here. Subaru's are tough to find though. I don't think they sold very many of them outside of the rust belt. I know back home in new england about every fourth car is a subaru. Here, you hardly ever see them at all, new or otherwise. There is a 79(?) brat that runs on craigslist savannah right now. I need someone to buy it so I don't.
clay ford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

where you live they do, they don't salt the roads here I see people daily driving 80's Subaru's all the time
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

They just started salting the roads in this area, and in WA they don't salt at all. Not many 70's Soobs around, but plenty form the 80's.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently a rust free '79 for sale near me for $3300.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it have the suicide /jump seats with the joystick grab handles in the back ...those cars where the coolest
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:

If you use that, do not modify it in any way. I have long thought that old Subarus will be the next collectible, and that piece will be highly sought after.

I have owned two Brats (79 and 84), and many other Subarus over the years. They are excellent cars. My wife drives a 95 Legacy wagon currently. Unbelievable snow cars, and very reliable. Their only drawback has been that they are underpowered.

BTW if you didn't know it already, BRAT is an acronym that stands for Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transport.

The rear seats in a BRAT were installed to avoid the chicken tax. A $75 dollar line item on the invoice avoided a $1200 import tariff on trucks.

Why did you have to go and make me feel bad about modifying it! Now I'm having 2nd thoughts Laughing

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:

Why did you have to go and make me feel bad about modifying it! Now I'm having 2nd thoughts Laughing

I'm only here to help. Very Happy
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
....in WA they don't salt at all.

Unfortunately, it depends on which side of the state.

Quote:
Seattle's stand against using salt is not shared by the state Department of Transportation, which has battled the latest storms in Western Washington with de-icer, 5,800 tons of salt and 11,500 cubic yards of salt and sand mix

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008551284_snowcleanup23m.html
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
....in WA they don't salt at all.

Unfortunately, it depends on which side of the state.

Quote:
Seattle's stand against using salt is not shared by the state Department of Transportation, which has battled the latest storms in Western Washington with de-icer, 5,800 tons of salt and 11,500 cubic yards of salt and sand mix

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008551284_snowcleanup23m.html

Yeah, I guess I am more accustomed to the East side of the Cascades.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: