Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Round Side Mirrors
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Round Side Mirrors Reply with quote

I was thinking about replacing my elephant ear mirrors with round ones on my '66 Standard.
The mirrors I have now are repros and not in very nice shape. I was hoping to get some input from you guys on which ones to buy or if anyone has a set of originals for sale?
Also, any thoughts on visibility, as in how much functionality (if any) will be lost going to a smaller sized mirror?
Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bfy is the only place i can think of that would have origional round ones

wcm and wolf gang sell repros that dont look bad at all besids looks i dont think the round ones do anymore
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split Decision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't vouch for the elephant ears, but I really like the look of the smaller mirrors. They are harder to use, but I figure that's what head checks are for.

Mike

On year seven of the "I'll get it done next week" engine rebuild.

74superTN wrote:
Just seems these days that unless you are dragging your engine on the ground and have crazy negative camber, people seem like you're doing it all wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: What is std mirror for a 67? Reply with quote

I have seen both style of mirrors on 67's. Presently I have the round one. The only problem I have is seeing out the driver side mirror when the vent window is open. Like Split Decision says, that is what head checks are for.

The roundies worked fine on my cross country trip so I guess they are good enough for me.

WCM has some great parts in quality when it comes to mirrors.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the round ones. the elephant ear mirrors are great on panels. i've found the round repro mirrors will fall off when you go to adjust them. i forget whether it's the third or forth time when they are sucked off into the jetsream of your bus.

try for good used at the swap. it should be pretty easy to find them.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have round ones on a 62 SC. They look good. Thye are repros I got them on ebay for $40 a pair. I think it was from duckymex. I had some problems getting them installed but they stay in place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
60/15windows
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also got round repro chrome ones,they look great and you do get used to them.There are also three different angle arms,i have got low angle for drivers side and the highest one on passenger side.Be lucky Exclamation
1962. 356 BT6
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i myself dislike those elephant ear mirrors,aside from finding good origanal or nos ones ,i think flat 4 makes a good repro.the crome is shinier and mine have held together for 4 yrs...lol Louis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The round ones look nicer, IMO.
For safety, get a panoramic add on mirror for your interior rearview mirror.
I got a German Panorama-Spiegel mirror made for bugs and buses on Ebay for like $20. It has elastic straps to hold it over your mirror, and really lets you see everything. I don't think I could have lived on my cross country trip without it. Pep Boys probably has something similar.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with a solution to a mirror problem I was having. I have a '53 Panel that came from the factory without a rear view mirror. I installed hinge pin mirror arms and mirrors and both drivers and passenger barndoor mirror arms and mirrors. The Bus looks like a mod squad scooter and I still can't see shit. Seeing out of the rear window itself is already a nightmare then you ad the cab divider to the equation, basically I never have any idea what is behind me or besides me. Top speed is about 50 miles an hour so there is usually plenty of angry traffic behind me. I couldn't care less...

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the flat 4 repro's on my bus and never had a problem with the, plus they are stainless!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Traver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to try and get the Flat 4 ones. I looked on the Mooneyes website but couldn't find them. I guess I just need to call them on the phone...
wickedwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Mirrors Reply with quote

The mirrors work fine, just make sure you have the right arm on the corect side. Once you get used to them, you'll be cutting people off on purpose! Go back to the date of July 28, 2003 on the forum. Look under "Round Mirrors--are these any good?", it is currently on page 7. I left part #s, prices,etc. for Latest Rage in Alpine CA.[/u]
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bunch of parts from a guy who was getting out of VWs and one of the things he had was a set of those plastic Hella round mirrors. Since my 62DC had some kind of huge, square American truck mirrors on rusty arms, I canned them and put on new, correct arms and these round mirrors. I didn't notice until I sat in the cab to adjust them that they are slightly convex. Could this be why they list for $50 EACH? That little bit of convex action takes getting used to, but it really helps. Are all the plastic Hella mirrors convex? This is the only set I've seen in person.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old post, but was wondering if there had been any quality changes with the round rear views? i am looking at getting 2 sets from either cip1 or ww. anyone have recomendations about current quality?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wolfsburg West mirrors are very nice. I put a set on after the Classic. I think they ae $19 each. They also have good repro clamps.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a truck stop, you can get a chrome round mirror that is just about the same size as OG but it is convex and you can see everything!!

My son has them on his Panel and I wouldnt drive it without them.

You can see the side of the panel and 2 lanes out on each side, they are the shit.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gblakeney wrote:
The Wolfsburg West mirrors are very nice. I put a set on after the Classic. I think they ae $19 each. They also have good repro clamps.

I concour. I have ran the WW ones for at least 6 months and now shaking. Excellent product except you get surface rust arounf the bezel where the pivot connects to the mirror.
--Dan
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW now have the reinforcement washer on the inside. They also have the WW logo stamped on the pin ring. Long term, to new to say.
I have a set from Thailand and am taking one apart to see the attachment and if they are any beter than whats out there now.
Full report and pics soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of WW elephant ears. The fit well and look good, however I can't see squat at speed due to vibration. It's like being on my motorcycle. I'd appreciate any tips on adjustment, or how tight/loose the mirror should be.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: