Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who first installed 356 Motor in a VW
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Who first installed 356 Motor in a VW Reply with quote

I have a Porsche 912 motor in my 62 Double Cab. I personally don't think it belongs there (too tight!), but the driveability is just amazing!

Hi jp,
Just curious, did you have to add any extra cooling slots or vents for the 912 motor or do anything else regarding engine heat removal?
Thanks--
Jon
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The son of one of my dad's co-workers installed a '56 1600N into his '57 oval window around 1966-67. He pulled the 356 engine when he sold the '57 to buy a TR-4. My brother bought the engine from him in 1973 and installed it with a loud Pacer extractor into his '65 bug. He drove it for a few months until he overheated it for not running a full set of tin. The engine now sits in my garage and has never been taken apart, so we still don't know the source of the internal rap after 39 years.
fcampbell356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick 3. Are you not the least bit intrested in finding out what lurks inside of the 356 engine? I would in a heartbeat. As to the cooling
effect in VWs with 356 engines, it is a must to seal off the tin so that
there is good airflow from out side of the car.
My brother and I did a lot of Formula Vee racing back when and we used a VW Delux Bus as a tow truck. We installed a Porsche industrial engine
in the VW with no cooling problems. The Bus carried a roof rack with wheels, tires and inside all the tool boxes, jacks and a bed. This little V-Wagon
would peg the speedo anytime. We used it also as a tow truck to pick-up cars for repair. No cooling problems.
Frank
mtwrench540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: VW with 356 engine Reply with quote

in 1965 in france had 64 113,blew engine bought wrecked 56 356 and installed engine,brakes seats guages and wheels,r8 gordini's did not stand a chance!
87 wolfsberg,74 181w/1915 and lots of patina! learned to fix vw's from hot vw mag in 1964,VWOA instructor,DSM,69 to73,service mgr at different porsche-audi dealers etc,etc,now retired!!! first vw new 64,transplanted 356 eng in 65,400characters are not enough space!!
Steve Heinrichs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Collier Museum in Florida has a VW with a 4-cam Porsche flat fan (for Elva-Porsches) motor installed. It is very cool.

Steve Heinrichs
FarmerJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a 69 912 engine in my Manx 2 years ago
It's got a 68 type 3 swing rear in it
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who first installed 356 Motor in a VW Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

Hi jp,
Just curious, did you have to add any extra cooling slots or vents for the 912 motor or do anything else regarding engine heat removal?
Thanks--
Jon

Hi Jon, I bought it like that! But afaik, there is nothing special done to the motor except for how the throttle is linked up.

There are some drawbacks, the carbs are very difficult to reach around, #1 and #3 plugs were FUN to change. Oil can't be added unless the oil filler is removed (2 10mm bolts), the valve covers almost touch the side of the engine bay.

And rightfully it should be in a 356/912 (or even 911), but I WON'T complain. I'm living with the little adjustments and it's pretty fun to drive.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Who first installed 356 Motor in a VW Reply with quote

Good for you, jp. I have had a few knowledgeable people tell me that 356/912 engines would run too hot given the stock cooling openings on buses. Obviously that is not a problem for you. Cool
Jon
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it up and down the mountains and I thought it did over heat but the coil wire slipped off and killed my engine. I've been driving it about 60KM/day now and it's seems to be running pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgb8nfqaSNY
Bill Bixby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 70s, I put an early 356 engine in old beat up VW bug and blew away a hopped up Empi stickered VW and a VW fiber glass dune buggy who were challenging each other an intersection on Lakewood Blvd. in Long Beach. Currently have a 73' Ghia Vert that I dropped in a '67 912 (similar to a 356). Changed out the transmission to accomodate the added torque.

billb
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a 2387 type 1 for a 65 912.
fcampbell356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark: That is interesting. Is it still running and what did you do for matching up the engine to the tranny? Flywheel, clutch ect.
Frank
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know it slides right in .no issues. just a fabed bracket for the rear hanger to fit on to the vw case.the trans pattern is the same. I recently picked up a compleate porsche motor, tin,solex's,aircleaners everything I saw nothing different that would keep it from going right into a vw.
as for the 2387 it's out of town and the guy is taking his sweet time with it.I fired it up checked it out told him to change the shift shaft bush& a few other things,he hasent done it yet.he had also had the trans rebuilt & dont know how to adjust the clutch,and didnt put the return spring back on the clutch,so he ordered some porch parts. he had tiger at A1 build the 1 5/8"sidewinder for it. it sounds wicked, but no I havent driven it.I dont think the tires will last long.but it should be a fun ride.( he got the compleate 1965,1600 porsche motor so the car could be compleat if he ever sold it)
ruvwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Who first installed 356 Motor in a VW Reply with quote

My Hispano Aleman VW buggy, built in 1970, has a 356SC engine on top of other Porsche bits (741 dual-nose Porsche gearbox, 356 B brakes and wheels, 356 Koni absorbers, 911 swb gauges and 911 R Recaro seats)

Everything original from 1970.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Who first installed 356 Motor in a VW Reply with quote

Nice!! Applause
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat KG wrote:
Paul Newman (the actor) used to drive a VW cabriolet with a 356 engine in it back in the 60s.

He also had a VW Cabriolet with a V8 Ford instead of the back seat at the same time
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Who first installed 356 Motor in a VW Reply with quote

In the early '90's I worked a lot with a colleague at another company facility less than an hour away. I knew he was a car guy, but neither of us knew of our mutual VW interests. He found out from a guy in my office that I was into aircooled VWs, so we struck up quite a conversation during my next visit. He had a '62 Beetle in the mid '60's. Went to a junkyard near where he lived in Staten Island, New York and bought a 356 engine for the cheap prices they were back then, and installed it into the Beetle. Drove the car as his daily driver for several years when he was stationed at an air force base in northern NY state. Kept the car until he got a job as a field engineer for Alfa Romeo in the early '70's whereby he received a company vehicle. He kept the Beetle but it ended up just rotting away. He removed many of the body parts and the engine and kept them but junked the rolling shell.

When he was preparing to get remarried in '95 and selling his old house, he gave me the removed original German fenders, engine lid (I still have them) but kept the 356 engine. I was over to his new house several years later and he showed me the 356 engine which he had mostly disassembled. I remember seeing the "smallish" dual carbs; definitely not the big Solex P40's- could've been either Zenith NDIXs or single-throat Solexes (?). He was toying with the idea of reassembling the engine and finding a solid donor Beetle to install it as a retirement project. I unfortunately lost contact with him so I don't know if he ever actively pursued that.
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Who first installed 356 Motor in a VW Reply with quote

In 1969 I installed a 1600 Normal in my '65 bug. I don't remember it being very difficult. I was only able to enjoy it for a few weeks before it was stolen. It was nice, pop-out side windows, sunroof with 356 chrome slotted wheels. I bought a '59 356A coupe after that loss.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: