Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Easy Clear Windshield
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Easy Clear Windshield Reply with quote

Now that we are in the thick of the cold weather I thought I would share an excellent tip on how to avoid scraping the frost from your windshield. A piece of cloth placed on the windshield the evening/night before will completely prevent frost from forming on the windshield. The next morning, pull the cloth off and the windshield will be completely clear. I have a piece that is the right size to close into the two front doors at the top corners of the windshield and then clip under the windshield wipers. The effort of placing the cloth on the windshield is a very small fraction of the effort required to scrape the windshield once frost has formed on it.

It is important, if taking this approach, that you *not* place the cloth inside the vehicle as it will hold all of the moisture that would have frozen onto the windshield and if allowed to thaw inside the vehicle, will cause higher humidity levels that will result in frost on the inside of the windows, which is even harder to remove than frost on the windshield. You also need to use a bit of intelligence with regard to times it would be unwise to place the cloth on the windshield. If there is any chance of rain and then freezing, then a piece of cloth frozen to the windshield would be a real pain.

Anyway, I hope that helps some folks save some cold morning effort.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a upholstery background ive thought of this a number of times. Its on my list. I would sew up a cover out a heavy reinforced vinyl . Forget what its called. Used for industrial covers for outdoor stuff. It would be patterned to fit windshield with big ears that would wrap around the sides to cover front door windows too. Hemmed edges with magnets sewn into them for securing it. The vinyl would not absorb water, so shake it off well enough and you could take it with you. Could sew up a vinyl bag for it too. Any takers?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've considered doing flaps over the front doors as well. Vinyl is a good idea. Only one magnet would be beneficial, IMO, in the center above the windshiled just to keep it in place long enough to close the doors on it.

Anyway, it's amazing to me the number of people who scrap their windshield every morning when this technique is so much less effort.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt do a continuous magnet. Like you said, a few strategically placed ones. I would design it to attatch without pinching it in the doors. Maybe a rubberized hook to rain gutter and an elastic strap to door handles. I want it to be very secure.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skadi thread shows application of heating elements...trick...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell these. It looks like a windshield sunscreen. My dad used one for years on his truck which wintered outdoors in Tahoe. Much easier than running the defroster for an hour and scraping, brushing, etc. Great tip!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Skadi thread shows application of heating elements...trick...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While I can appreciate the concept, it's a lot more work and expense than the method I proposed, I can't imagine that the heating elements clear the windshield anywhere near as quickly as the combined time of placing the cloth in the evening and removing it in the morning (the rear window elements and heated mirrors sure don't) and I am entirely unsure of the legality of placing heating elements on the windshield. While I'm not intrinsically opposed to something being more complicated, without any benefit to the added complication, it's worse, not better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: