Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle full body Paint Question...
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me i prefer to paint it apart. I like the look of the jambs without any tape lines and the bottoms of the doors and such properly painted. On metallic paint jobs you have to pay a little more attention to make sure the coverage is good so all the parts match in color. Plus its easier to color sand and buff when you can put the doors and lids on the stands.
spook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us it depends on the level of the job the client wanting, my preference is 100% apart, easer to not miss anything
SBS US #10
feedback on the shop : http://tinyurl.com/yc7jgkl

Welcome to he darkside, its lower here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: wow. very nice! Reply with quote

I did apply epoxy with the fenders off to get a good coat on all the wheel houses. I'll be putting on a 2k primer next and blocking to get it flat - not sure if that is overkill or not as I have been blocking the epoxy already... I could probably get away with just finishing up with the epoxy primer then seal and shoot the BC/CC and keep the 2k primer out of the mix ( undecided on this step ).

i still have a long way to go before applying base coat - I need to build some kind of plastic paint booth in the garage to keep the dirt out.

thanks for the responses, very nice work you have done there! inspiring!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

base clear in custom copper flake..with the entire car and fenders based then the fenders removed on goes the clear for the tub:

...fitted the fenders and such on stands and cleared them off the body...then bolted it together:

this is solid color and single stage with the fenders painted off the car..both cars have the doors attached.

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenders off unless it being sprayed in a custom mixed metal flake...but even then it doesnt matter as long as the stand holding them in a position like they are on the car....meaning in their upright position,in the same direction as the car in the booth etc..yes this does make a difference as the booth flow will change the flake lay out and also your air flow and distance...so you'll wanna spray em the exact same way as the car was done...or if room permits,as the same time. you can base he fendersbolt em on with a stud and bolt letting a air gap between the fender beading area and once they are colored up to the body ,remove em and throw em on a hanger or stand and clear em...this way the clear and color is in BETWEEN the fender and the body.

if it solid colors i can paint the fenders and lids later...but no mater what car i'm spraying I always paint the doors on!...this way there is no tape lines and the flake or solids are the exact match.

the lids can be done the same way like the factory but there is areas that cant get full coverage o color and clear becasue of their ways of opening. plus when they are painted it's a pretty tricky method to lower them down to coloer the tops and not have them hit the under pats of the hood and pinch weld area...it can be done but you gotta use your head with wires and studs etc.

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like spraying the fenders seperately. Some of my paint jobs have won Best Paint awards.
My boss has had excellent results spraying with the fenders on.
Two different painters, two totally different spraying techniques.
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Beetle full body Paint Question... Reply with quote

Im Curious as to how the painters are handling a total respray of a bug Body.

in a total respray, Do you prefer to spray the body with fenders on or take them off and spray them on a stand?

due to the curves and flat surface alignments it seems you might get a better job if it was done in pieces. so I ask you guys.

thanks in advance..
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: