Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for info on a Manx from 16 years ago
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Looking for info on a Manx from 16 years ago Reply with quote

Long shot, but It's crossed my mind a few times.
Here's the story:
I'm located in Central Washington. I think it was 1994/5 My area was a gold mine for every kind of VW you can imagine- people would come ask me to get split Busses off their propery. A friend of mine always wanted to a dune Buggy and out in the middle of nowhere, my stepfathers neighbor had one. $500, blown engine.
I honestly didn't care much about buggies back then since I couldn't sell split busses as fast as they showed up.
I will look for an old pic, but I've never been able to find one.
So I'll describe it:
It was probably a Manx I since it was on a late 50's pan. It was 100% intact, original Purple?/ Fuscia gel-coat. It could've been faded red maybe? But the finish was pretty good, with proper flake. It had the Manx ID tag, front and rear emblems. It had a white Manx hardtop, original side pods, and yes it had the DIAPER. In the same purple'ish gel coat. Looking back on it I've never EVER heard of anything like it anywhere. Everything was pristine.
I went back and got the engine later- it had been removed a long time back and was sitting on a pallet outside- it was a 36hp with full chrome tin!
Anyway, my friend never got it running, and sold it to someone in Seattle a few months later. Right before he sold it he had written Bruce and Winnie- this was PRE-internet and they were just getting the club together and setting things up so it was just mail. The buggy was long gone by the time he got the reply from Bruce, but i think there was some amazement on Bruces' part over the condition of the buggy. I think he even mentioned wanting to borrow the diaper to make a mold in case anyone ever wanted one.
So...does this thing sound familiar to anyone? Purple/pink mint condition early Manx with every part present?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bub, what is this diaper you're speaking of, I've never heard of it.They must be pretty rare, especially if Bruce Meyers was perhaps interested in it.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 manx wrote:
Bub, what is this diaper you're speaking of, I've never heard of it.They must be pretty rare, especially if Bruce Meyers was perhaps interested in it.

Manxes with (full) diapers...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Manx with nicer rear end... Laughing ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. There it is. Gabe (the guy who had it) mounted the diaper all up- we all made fun of it, it was so hideous.
He was super stoked though, because he was a huge fan of the "Purple Potato Chip" and had always wanted to make a buggy like it. And he'd finally found a "purple' dune buggy.
If it still existed I'm sure we'd know about it..it would be one of the 'holy grails' of Manx treasures.

danbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering about that thing the other day. Why the hell did he sell it? Remember when it only took a few days to find a real manx in someone's backyard back then? You forgot to mention that oval beetles weren't even interesting, there was just too many around.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAN!
Hey, you spying on me!? Well, Gabe did use the $ from the buggy to buy his 67' bus, which he still owns, and is probably worth $25k. So...in retrospect it was probably NOT a bad idea. It's just too bad we don't know what happened to it- it was for sure a one of a kind. I wish I knew why it looked purple? Officially, they're weren't any purple-flake Manx's were there? How many Manx's came out of Wenatchee? Joe's/ the 3 I owned/ Your old yellow one and a couple others I'm not thinking of...alot though.
HEy i got the Buggy back together, seats are in and mounted. Side pods are ...installed.. they fit sort of. Definitely not perfect, but I guess it'll work. Disc brakes and adj springplates on the way!
It's going over to Harmon/ Body shop on monday...we'll see how they feel about matching weathered gel-coat.
hijacked my own thread! Confused3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: