Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 transmission leak
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

Maybe pull it apart and measure the oil seals, then get your parts?

Your transmission isn’t rebuildable. Just want you to know that for when the time comes.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

Sure it's rebuildable you just have to have all the one year only parts and the one year only jig to put it together.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

Hot damn, Mike’s back
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
basic_bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

I'm stuck with the wrong years for bus ownership. The 72 seems to have a few "one year only" parts and pieces as well. I'm getting my parts from German Supply in Toronto. www.germansupply.com (Scott Lyons)
I got a puller on the cover and it appears to be working. I didn't have the time to get it off completely.
Being that I may have to replace the whole transmission one day; what year would be suitable for replacement. 1968-1971? Thanks
basic_bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

Ok, you need to STOP right there! Remove the puller before you really break something.
You need to remove the cv joint flange first!
basic_bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

I turned the puller by hand and luckily didn't force anything. As soon as I felt some resistance I stopped to regroup.
Now I get that there is a clip that has to be removed first. The clip is in the axle shaft which holds the CV joint flange in place. Once this clip is removed the joint flange comes off and then the drive cover.
The drawing I was using didn't show the clip or axle shaft, however I was able to find alternate drawings that show both the clip and axle shaft. Thanks Hazetguy!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

what year would be suitable for replacement. 1968-1971? Thanks

I'd try and find a 1969-1970. That way you can use your existing clutch plate and throw out bearing. The 1971 was upgraded to use a guide for the throwout bearing but you'd need the matching clutch kit for all the parts to play well together.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
Sure it's rebuildable you just have to have all the one year only parts and the one year only jig to put it together.

True to a point. There was a very good reason that is a one year only gearbox. In fact it isn't even a "one year only" transaxle. These gearboxes were not installed much past six months of the production run. This was due to the fact that the pinion bearing and the method used to retain it was a very bad design and were prone to self destruct the ring and pinions.

VW dealerships repaired and replaced many under warranty. The design was quickly abandoned. I do have all the tools necessary to rebuild one of these if I want to. But I don't as a rule because of its bad design. It is easier and much better to go to the more common three rib 002 design.

Mi dos centavos.
basic_bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

I would feel better if this trans was a rare and a collectors item rather than a dud. But so be a it. Thanks for the info
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
bigbore wrote:

True to a point. There was a very good reason that is a one year only gearbox. In fact it isn't even a "one year only" transaxle. These gearboxes were not installed much past six months of the production run. This was due to the fact that the pinion bearing and the method used to retain it was a very bad design and were prone to self destruct the ring and pinions.

VW dealerships repaired and replaced many under warranty. The design was quickly abandoned. I do have all the tools necessary to rebuild one of these if I want to. But I don't as a rule because of its bad design. It is easier and much better to go to the more common three rib 002 design.

Mi dos centavos.

I agree.
I did rebuild one a few years ago I happen to have all the 68 only parts I needed to use up and I had a customer that had to have it.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 transmission leak Reply with quote

For future reference and others stumbling onto this, I replaced my drive seals as shown here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681875&highlight=

Wasn’t hard, just a bit messy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: