Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Been busy trying to make my deadline, still sorting through all the things to be done. I installed the clutch and accelerator cable as well as the pedals. Reading Bentley, I determined that with the dual MC I need a pushrod that is 149.5 mm from the tip to the centre of the hole. There was nothing that long in my stash so I welded an extension on to an existing one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It seems to be ok, but my pedals still seem to sit a little forward, though from reading here I think that may be normal, and they don’t bottom out on the kick plate. Here’s how they look.

I also started in on the passenger’s floor, which wasn’t nearly as bad as the driver’s but will still take a bit of time to get sorted. Made a small patch for the worst of it.

Welded that in then decided to use a clean section from the DS pan to patch up other areas. But before I finished that, a buddy dropped by and so we managed to get the brakes bled. I’m using DOT 5 silicone fluid and have been reading where people seem to have more leaks with the stuff. Maybe its thinner? I did have a small leak around the bottom of the reservoir, and also around the brake switches on the master cylinder, which I have read is fairly common.
The single circuit obviously only had one switch, but when I went to dual I installed two switches and was going to wire them together. Instead, I decided to remove the rear circuit switch altogether and plug it, and now am just wired to the front circuit. As for the leak, I read about Teflon tape – it doesn’t play well with silicone. So I tried some Permatex sealant- no dice. Ended up at NAPA with a variety of sealing solutions, most of them for oil drain plugs. I started thinking a mechanical solution would be best, so in the end I used a copper crush washer and that did the trick.

When that was sorted I put the tank back in, hooked up the battery and got it running again. Runs ok but blows out a bit of bluish smoke now and then, mostly from the breather. Really I need to re-set the timing, adjust the carb, and change the oil again.

The transmission was empty of gear oil so I decided to re-fill and, seeing as how I now have brakes, see if she'll move. I had previously pulled the lowest drain plug below the differential, but had left the upper one in place. I decided to pull that one as well… and when I did pieces of gear teeth from at least two gears came out... So much for my transmission.

Looking in through the hole it looks like it came mostly from 2nd gear. So, after a few choice words and a couple beer, I said shag it - I had come this far, transmission is screwed anyway, so I put the plugs back in, filled it with gear oil, and started it up. Put the clutch in, found what I thought was first, and I’ll be damned, she moved ahead a couple feet. Found reverse, and she backed up. As of late last night, this car now moves under her own power.

Today, I opened the garage door.

This car was driven to this spot.

I’m thinking I’ll continue getting all the things done that it needs for inspection, and then, for now at least, I may borrow the transmission out of my Ghia project (which is actually from a 63 Type 3), and still try to use the car this summer.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Ouch. Well, it's moving, and that's progress!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thought I might update this thread a bit, lest you all think I’ve abandoned ship.

I didn’t make my end-July deadline, but having the deadline really pushed me to get a lot done so I’m ok with it. Knowing the transmission needs to be swapped out took a bit of the wind out of my sails, and that combined with “life” has slowed my progress. All that aside I have been working away when I can, and actually think I’m pretty close to getting an inspection (minus the transmission).

I checked the compression and found that three cylinders were good between 120 and 125, but number 4 was 70. Put some oil in the chamber and it came up to the same as the rest, so I’m pretty sure it’s a stuck or broken ring. Given how long the engine was laid up it doesn’t surprise me. I’m hoping it’s just stuck and will free up over time. If not I’ll pull the head when I do the transmission swap.

As for the rest, well the floors are done, I’m really happy with the driver’s side, and I will eventually replace the rear pan half on the passenger’s side, but it’s ok for now. I welded a bit of the rear kickplate, and reinstalled that-

Then I PORed everything and cleaned up and put back the tar mats, and ran a new clear gas line for the gas heater.

I loosened the seat cables, and put some heat shrink on a couple of spots where the outer housing was cracked. I’ve super glued most cracks in the floor mats, and have the rear section put back. I also reused the original carpet, but glued on a fabric backing to help keep it together. The bit of the driver’s sill was missing altogether so I’m not sure what I’m going to do with that yet.

It seems that I’ve been busy with a million little things with this car, (loosening a seized door lock, making a lock key, cleaning panels, refurbing gauges, chasing electrical gremlins...and so on) but that gis good as the list of what I’ve got left for inspection is getting much smaller. The only big electrical issue that I have left, is my horn... it beeps when I turn the wheel, so obviously it’s grounding out somewhere, and I think I’ll have to pull the tank again to sort it out. Also, gas gauge – doesn’t work, but needle shoots to the right when the headlights are turned on. And the last electrical issue is that my interior light only operates when the door is opened, that is the three way switch will not turn it on when the doors are closed.

Aside from that, I’ve got to finish cleaning the rear panels. Reinstall the seats, fix a mis-shapened area around the front turn signal, put on the bumpers, install the dampner/tail pipe, straighten and reinstall some chrome and I think I’m about done... for registration anyway. Hopefully I can get at it, and it doesn’t take too much longer.

bad1916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

all that little stuff adds up to lots of time! looking good man
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the press work. I know it’s a while ago but I only just found it.
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thats progressing nicely, keep at it.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Looking good!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Work has stalled a little. Have most of the interior back together but time to work on it has been in short supply lately.

Not quite done yet but here are a few before and afters…

Underseat:

Rear:

Next steps now are to pull the engine/transmission and replace the transmission, finish up the remaining little bits to have it ready for inspection this spring.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Getting close to Inspection! Looks like you still have your Dad's Bug & Ghia projects waiting for time & space. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I have a few projects in the wings. Dad’s Ghia is underway, but paused until I get the Square mobile. The Beetles will happen eventually, one of them was my daily driver in the mid-90s, well past due for another resto now though.

Back to the square- not much happening so far this winter. I did manage to get the rear seat back in, though I need a new handle. Anyone know for one anywhere? Pretty hard to pull it up without it, as you kind of have to pull forward, then up. I’ve also got all new seals for both doors; have yet to install them though. I went with the German door seals after, as the Brazilian ones didn’t really fit without mods, and are reported to only last a couple years.

Pulled the engine yesterday, and hope to haul the old toothless tranny this week (!). I have another T-3 transmission (from my Ghia project) all ready to go in, then I’ll take a look at the rings/valves in #4 to see why the compression is low there, clean it up a bit and slap it back in. All good bites.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Thanks Mike. Yeah, I have a few projects in the wings. Dad’s Ghia is underway, but paused until I get the Square mobile. The Beetles will happen eventually, one of them was my daily driver in the mid-90s, well past due for another resto now though.

Back to the square- not much happening so far this winter. I did manage to get the rear seat back in, though I need a new handle. Anyone know for one anywhere? Pretty hard to pull it up without it, as you kind of have to pull forward, then up. I’ve also got all new seals for both doors; have yet to install them though. I went with the German door seals after, as the Brazilian ones didn’t really fit without mods, and are reported to only last a couple years.

Pulled the engine yesterday, and hope to haul the old toothless tranny this week (!). I have another T-3 transmission (from my Ghia project) all ready to go in, then I’ll take a look at the rings/valves in #4 to see why the compression is low there, clean it up a bit and slap it back in. All good bites.

Looks like you're making good progress on it Bob.
I used a section of seat belt for a lift handle. It might not be stock, but it does work. I did that after I broke a new lift handle 2 days after I installed it.
Depending on which type of German door seals you might need to trim them in the front part to make the doors easier to close. At least using the later style you do. In my case I had to trim off the big square block off it, or my doors wouldn't close. That was back in 2000 when I did it, and the right door still doesn't always want to fully shut. My wife's 70 Fastback uses the same seal (but with the block still in place), and both doors are still that way, although the drivers door does close better after all these years (they were done in 1990).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

The original handles for the rear seat are not that durable - I saw someone use a handle from an amp or guitar case - not a terrible option and way less expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I had thought about using something else, but was thinking original as it would fold flat. I have been sizing up odd things thinking about what might work. Hearing that a new one would likely break, confirms that I’ll go that way. I know with my seat you have to give it a pretty strong pull to get it to rise forward enough to tip it up. The welds holding the long pivot pins on either side were broken free from the seat and the bars attached to them were seized, I’ve freed all that up and reattached them, but it still needs a bit of effort to move.

I’ve got a folding saw horse in the garage that I was sizing up last night…might work.

Good to know about the seals Bob, I was reading where you made that comment before, the check rod seal on mine is a bit rotted, so I’m not sure if I’ll cut off the extra square bit on the new seal, or remove the existing rod seal and let the new one take its’s place- if it’ll fit.

I pulled some of the tins off the engine last night and found this marking. Pic is not great, but it’s a “V C” followed by the VW remanufactured symbol. I mentioned at the beginning of this thread that the engine has an odd number starting with “TS” stamped into the case. I guess this confirms that it was an exchange case, but any clue as to what any of the numbers mean?

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

I found the same symbol on the starting motor when I pulled it off the transmission. I'm now thinking that the VC and symbol means rebuilt by Volkswagen Canada.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

I've been picking away at the paint removal project, as and when the mood strikes. I know it's not as important as getting this car mobile, but it helps keep me motivated and gives me something to do when I don't feel like doing other work... I've mostly been just using a razor blade and patience, as that seems to be what works best for most areas, though I have tried acetone, steel wool, oven cleaner, Goof Off and a number of other things. I've wet sanded and Polished a few areas with 2500 grit and Meguiars, to see how it might come out as well.

BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
bobnorman wrote:
I did manage to get the rear seat back in, though I need a new handle. Anyone know for one anywhere?

I used a section of seat belt for a lift handle. It might not be stock, but it does work. I did that after I broke a new lift handle 2 days after I installed it.

ataraxia wrote:
The original handles for the rear seat are not that durable - I saw someone use a handle from an amp or guitar case - not a terrible option and way less expensive.

For the past decade or so, I've been using a section of 1" tie down strap for the rear seat handle. I melted the ends with a cigarette lighter to keep it from fraying. It has held up really well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Here Mr.Norman,because I creep all my friend's samba threads..This sheds a little light on yer VC code
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Getting better and better Cool

Maybe it's an idee to waterblast, aiming underneath the chippings?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe it's an idea to waterblast, aiming underneath the chippings?

not this winter in the great white north, we've had more winter this year than the last 5 combined on the prairies, I'm sure the east coast is not much better.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
bobnorman wrote:
I did manage to get the rear seat back in, though I need a new handle. Anyone know for one anywhere?

ataraxia wrote:

For the past decade or so, I've been using a section of 1" tie down strap for the rear seat handle. I melted the ends with a cigarette lighter to keep it from fraying. It has held up really well.

Good idea. I might just try that, the handle that I'm looking at would stick out pretty far, a strap would obviously lay flat.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: