Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I actually have an NOS dampner and tail pipe that I bought around the same time as my other muffler. As for the gray, a lot of this muffler still has the original coating on it. I’ve uncovered it with a wire brush on the angle grinder - it’s a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I thought it was like rattle can gray primer, but it’s more like epoxy.

I’ve been trying to keep the original finishes on this car where and when I can. I may touch up a few spots where the metal is bare or where I’ll be welding though.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Small update. Engine is mostly cleaned up and back together now with new rings, exhaust valves, main seal, and other seals. I cleaned and treated the tins with phosphoric acid followed by a spray on rust converter. Looks ok, and keeps the original finish. Still waiting on the new clutch and TO bearing. Interesting that the clutch too had the VW Canada re-manufactured logo on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Finished up the muffler the other night, some before and after, 'cause I know you like pics. I ended up painting the whole thing as there were just too many areas that needed work.

Other end, no before pic but had similar damage, I assume from someone hammering on it to get it off.

Have to bolt on the exhaust on next, finish tidying a few things in the engine bay, then I can fire it in and hopefully fire it up.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Another small update. Engine is back in, but it’s clear that it still needs to tuned it correctly, as it's not idling right yet. Put on a new NOS progressive linkage set up on as the old one was a bit sloppy.

Here it sits

And a before and after...

I might have mentioned, I'm going for the 10 year-old used car look. Very Happy

I need to get to choke adjusted and get it properly warmed up before I can really start to determine what's going on, and try to correctly adjust the volume and idle screws. I did notice a little blue/whitish smoke, I’m hoping this would be normal until the new rings seat. I also torqued the axle nuts and had a stab at bleeding the brakes, so I should be able to get it off the axle stands and take it out of the garage in the next couple of days so I can let it run for a while.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Nice that it is getting back on the road. My recent purchase well March of this year, is still in progress. I like the single side draft kinda neat actually.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Great work on that muffler there bob. Just goes to show pretty much anything in steel is repairable if you take the time. Looking good
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks again for the support guys. Yes, with enough patience, anything steel can be bashed back into decent shape, even by a novice like me.

I'm still chipping away on the old gal. Now that the weather has finally turned decent, I’ve got her outside trying to get the engine tuned.

I think I may have a vacuum leak as turning the volume control screw doesn’t seem to do much, at least, not most of the time. Is there a setting I should be starting with? I had the volume screw at 2.5 turns to start. I also noticed I have a leak from the fuel pump. I think it’s from the top. I’ll take that apart again and see if I can figure out why. Also, the shifter is still not exactly where I want it. I’ve never had so much trouble getting a shifter adjusted correctly before!

Aside from that I have a horn issue to solve (grounding somewhere when turning the wheel), and have to reinstall the front fender and lights. The list is getting pretty short, I just wish I had more time to take care of the things on it!

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

It’s looking good man! You’ve come a long way with it so be proud of your accomplishmenta nd some really big milestones you met. It’s around the corner and soon you’ll be taking it for a spin down the road. Doing great! Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Great that you have it running although poorly so far. Twisted Evil Spend your time/money on the drivetrain & interior.
My exterior diamond blue respray looks very close to the OG interior diamond blue. Spray your exterior only in the original color & save thousands of hours you'd need to strip/repair the funky OG paint! Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

I love the way you're approaching this project, your skills and your excellent recording of it. Thanks for taking the trouble - I'm looking forward to future updates already. Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah Mike painting the car would definitely be quicker and easier but I am doing my best to preserve the originality on this car and that includes the original paint. I haven't done much work on the car lately to be honest, I've been distracted by this beautiful green creature that showed up in my garage displacing my other less beautiful green creature.

The car was here a little longer than expected but is now returned to its rightful owner. So I was able to bring the squareback back in the garage. Good thing too, I ended up installing the Brazilian door seal and it's basically the same as if there was nothing there in terms of water tightness we had a few big downpours in the last couple of weeks and there was about 2 inches of water sitting in the driver's side pan.

So, in terms of progress the car is running really well now. I seem to have sorted out the carburetor, she starts and idles great. I straightened out the front driver's fender and reinstalled it. It looked okay to begin with but when I put on the signal light it was clear that it had been misshapen at some point. I installed the bumpers and I also sorted out the horn. I actually took the column apart three times to try and figure out where it was grounding. No dice. It's obviously something in the area of the bearing- so in the end I installed a button. That'll do for now. Also attempted to touch-up the paint a little on the front fender and driver's side of the bonnet- came out pretty good if I do say so myself.

So here's a couple of pictures just after I pulled it outdoors.

And a picture pretty much as she sits now inside the garage. I'm happy with the paint blending on the hood and fender, even though it's only roughly done at this point.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Looks good Bob. Very Happy The blend job came out good, can't hardly tell from here. Wink Laughing Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

the door seals probably are not the problem in my opinion. water on the floor is usually from the front vents / hoses or bad windshield seal

car looks great, love the OG paint underneath
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

That's a beautiful 911
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
the door seals probably are not the problem in my opinion. water on the floor is usually from the front vents / hoses or bad windshield seal

Actually those Brazilian door seals suck. I'd rather have good used German seals than those. BTDT before, and got new German ones (worth the extra money).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Actually those Brazilian door seals suck. I'd rather have good used German seals than those. BTDT before, and got new German ones (worth the extra money).

Yeah, the irony is, I have a set of new German seals, but elected to put on the Brazilian one anyway. I figured it'd do for now (there was no seal at all in the DS door), and next year I'd tear both doors down and replace all the seals/channels/sliders etc. in one go. I'd heard they were crappy and fell apart fast, but I didn't expect them to leak like that.

I'm pretty sure it is that seal versus the vents, I did feel up around there and it was dry. I may get inside while someone hoses the car down just to make sure. Better do it soon though...winter is fast approaching. Sad

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

I have to admit that your OG paint does look good w/blending in new paint where needed!
Forget that I suggested just spraying it all PPG etc Green. Rolling Eyes

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

[quote="bobnorman"][quote="Bobnotch"]
Erik G wrote:
I may get inside while someone hoses the car down just to make sure. Better do it soon though...winter is fast approaching. Sad

I'll volunteer for that job.I'll drink a beer of yours and have a laugh at your bewildered face while I'm blasting water at your car as you're inside wondering where the rain is pouring in from..sounds like an easy job Surprised
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Nothing really to report in terms of an update. I didn’t get to do a leak test on the door seal (sorry fes), ran out of time before the cold and snow hit us. I’m shifting gears for the winter and will be getting back to work on my Ghia chassis. First order of business is to prepare and replace the transmission that I robbed for this thing.

Here she is one fine day when I pulled her out to move a few things around in the garage.

Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Too bad mines apart, we are having a tremendously mild winter here. What is all that white stuff on the ground?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Too bad mines apart, we are having a tremendously mild winter here. What is all that white stuff on the ground?

Exactly. We had a brown Christmas, and decent weather. Supposed to cool back down starting tonight. We've had a couple of dustings, but nothing like what you have in that pic.
If it wasn't for all the salt, I'd have my Notch out getting some exercise.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: