Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Good stuff Bob, hopefully I will get to see it one day.

Surprised to see so much green vegetation this early in the year there.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

as I said on FB, congrats!

shuddering and the like - check the trans mounts and bowden tube. while you're down there, check the trans ground strap. They cause havoc on starting these cars Smile

yes - so much smoother than a type 1!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Fantastic news my old friend.. I enjoyed a few long nights in your laboratory accompanied by beer and tunes mucking around this and your other projects..
Sad that I wasn't there for her first maiden in 45 years..
Excellent work..now sell it and get to the Ghia Laughing
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks again guys- Matt you’d be driving that car more than I would if you were here. Yes, hurry up and buy it already so I can get back to the Ghia.

Been doing a few cruises around town, some short runs to the store and whatnot and a couple of longer drives 45mins-hour. All told I’m pretty pleased with the car, but still having teething problems. Primarily it’s the fuel leaking into the intake and shifting issues - I’m sure I’ll get that all “squared” away soon though. It’s died on me once so far, after a 45 minute run it just cut out, pulled over and it would crank but not start. Used my cell to take a video while cranking it and there was no spark at the coil. After about ten mins it started again but would only stay running if I revved it. Made it home ok and discovered a loose black wire from the column to the fuse box. Pretty certain that was it.

Was in the garage tonight putting together a tool kit, and noticed there’s nowhere to clip the jack.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks pretty stock to me, so I’m just wondering if I’m missing something, or if some of the earlier squarebacks didn’t use a clip?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

64s have a Bus style jack in a bag.

Another '64, empty bag

My '63 jack and bag:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

That's interesting. The owner's manuals all show the other type, hence my confusion.

I think I may have the correct one here somewhere. Do you know if they differ from the Type 2 or are they the same?

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Quote:
Been doing a few cruises around town, some short runs to the store and whatnot and a couple of longer drives 45mins-hour. All told I’m pretty pleased with the car, but still having teething problems. Primarily it’s the fuel leaking into the intake and shifting issues - I’m sure I’ll get that all “squared” away soon though. It’s died on me once so far, after a 45 minute run it just cut out, pulled over and it would crank but not start. Used my cell to take a video while cranking it and there was no spark at the coil. After about ten mins it started again but would only stay running if I revved it. Made it home ok and discovered a loose black wire from the column to the fuse box. Pretty certain that was it.

i had problems with vapor lock on the stock fuel pump with mine,I ended up going electric and had no issues after. and make sure you check the pressure on the pump, some are pretty high and can overpower the needle seat on the carb

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
That's interesting. The owner's manuals all show the other type, hence my confusion.

I think I may have the correct one here somewhere. Do you know if they differ from the Type 2 or are they the same?

It's the same as a Bus jack from that year.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:

i had problems with vapor lock on the stock fuel pump with mine,I ended up going electric and had no issues after. and make sure you check the pressure on the pump, some are pretty high and can overpower the needle seat on the carb

Same issue with my 65, but I attributed it to the all aluminum engine case holding heat. If you didn't shut it off, it would run all day. But if you shut it off, you're going to be there an hour while it cooled down. Going to the electric pump fixed it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Still driving the car around enjoying the summer. Have sorted most issues out. Replaced the coil, which took care of the no spark when hot issue. Also pulled the starter and cleaned up the solenoid. The biggest issue I’ve had so far was a few weeks back. Took the car to my mom’s house to give her a run in it which she really enjoyed. I went to leave again, pushed in on the clutch and felt something give. The pedal went almost all the way to the floor with the last couple inches feeling very spongy. Could not get the car in gear, so I parked it at mom’s for the night. Next day at lunchtime I had it flat-bedded home.

Our annual Euro car show was the following day, and that was to be the car’s debut. With less than 24 hours before the show (they always know when to break down, don’t they) I decided to pull the engine to see what was going on.

Didn’t have to look very hard.

Fortunately I happened to have a new throw-out bearing and cross shaft in stock, getting the clutch cable arm off took forever, finally did it with a modified ball joint spreader. The new shaft was slightly different, being designed for a longer bushing (C- clip further inboard on the shaft). I modified a brass fitting that I had to take up the slack and put it all together.

Had a couple of friends come over, and with their help, I managed to get the car back together and all buttoned up by 2am, even had time while the car was on the lift to put on the old 6.00-15 bias-plys for the show.

Next day I headed to the show. Man, bias ply tires are squirrely; I can’t imagine what it was like back in the day with everyone running these.

This fella came up with a name for me. "Backster". I like it, better than Patches anyway.

Car was a big hit with lots of folks asking questions.

Not sure about the swamp cooler, I think it'll be sold on.

Since then I’ve had it out for a few short runs, shifting is still an issue that I have to sort out, can’t always find the gears that I want, and she still makes a bit of a grinding noise. Have bought some Liqui Moly MOS2 anti-friction grease so hope that helps.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Also installed seat belts in the back so I can take the kids on short runs. The inner belt section was pretty straightforward; however, because the factory had only made allotment for a crazy shoulder-without-lap belt, I had to drill a hole for the outer mount.

After a bit of measuring, and marking the seat location with chalk, I drilled a 1/8 inch exploratory well, and with a little adjusting I got it right.

The issue is it has to clear the seat bench, yet come through the car in an accessible spot between the body and the spring plate that would allow for a large washer.
After a bit of measuring I got it right. I used a 2.5 inch 1/8 inch steel washer underneath along with a lock nut, and a smaller washer above.

Plan was to bring the kids to their first day of kindergarten later this week, but with the shifting issues I may not do that.

Next up is an oil change (have about 200 miles on her now) and gear oil change with friction grease added. Hopefully those go well, and I don’t find any sparkly bits!

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Yup, I had to drill some holes in my 65 Notch to add seat belts too. I think I went out a little further than you did though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

I changed the trans nose cone bushing that was really worn, spongy rubber shaft coupler, and the missing rod bushing, mine still felt like rowing a boat. As soon as I swapped in the vintage speed shifter I realized the old ball and socket on the original shifter was pretty worn out and was causing some sloppy shifting.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Time for another small update I guess. About 200 miles in now and not too much to report on. I’ve been tinkering a little, trying to get “Backster” to perform as best as I can. I’ve tried a different t-3 fuel pump, and two different valves, trying to mitigate the problem of fuel overwhelming the needle valve and slowly flooding the carb when shut off. Ultimately I settled back on my original fuel pump, and for some reason after all the tinkering over the past year, the problem seems to have resolved itself.

The other issue is still the shifting, I’ve adjusted the shifter and clutch cable some more and it’s a little better, but there’s more to be done, I’ve got and aftermarket shifter on it now which helped, but I still get reverse now and then, and I’d like to get back to the original shifter. I followed a lead on a woods find that I hoped to get the shift rod out of, and it looked promising until I pulled it all the way and noticed the end was already mangled.

I did manage to get a few other bits though, this is/was a 63 sunroof car. I may go back for the sunroof bit before the earth reclaims it. Not that I need it, but someone might.

I also changed the plugs, cap, and wires, and the gear oil, which was surprisingly clean and sparkle-free. I added a small tube of Liqui-Moly MoS2 anti-friction gear grease and tightened up the axle boot clamps.
Did an oil change as well, which resulted in a strange granular substance when distilled down.

Like a mix of sand, but easily crushed into powder. The car came from an extremely sandy area originally, so I’m wondering if it’s a mix of that, old varnish, and bits of corded magnesium. I’ll change it again in another 200 miles.

Having installed the belts, Like all good experimental programs, before doing a manned mission, I took the dog along as the first test passenger.

Then I took each kid for a run separately - insurance policy in case something happened the wife would still have one. They loved it, were amazed at how well they could see stuff around them.

Then finally got a chance to get the wife out as well – she loved it.

Aside from that, I’ve tooled around a little on various errands, taking a snap here and there as I go.

First bit of snow is on the ground here this morning, so the plan now is to load the whole family in next week, and go get a Christmas tree. That’ll be fun if all goes well, and may provide the makings for next year’s Christmas card.

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

too much snow/salt here to get out anymore, that and the engine is in the basement

Just noticed you have an E on the decklid, did you find one finally?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

I love seeing this one come back to life. I know it has been a long time coming, congrats!

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
I love seeing this one come back to life. I know it has been a long time coming, congrats!

Agreed. Glad to see you out enjoying your type 3 whenever you can. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Great updates! Yes, do get the sunroof clip. Someone will be delighted to get that. Keep the updates coming please, especially the snippets on what needed fixing and how the scenic shots. Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
too much snow/salt here to get out anymore, that and the engine is in the basement

Just noticed you have an E on the decklid, did you find one finally?

Yes, I finally have an E. I couldn't find one anywhere so I carved one out of aluminum based on the measurements from the mould of yours that you so generously sent along.
I had a denturist friend of mine cast from your mould, but the material and the process weren't the best, so I decided to carve it. If you look closely you'll see some discolouration on the lower part of it, as unfortunately when I was soldering the two posts on the back I melted part of it and had to reshape it.

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

That's awesome Cool

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: