Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

I'm using a Grant steering wheel and adapter. My concern is I read something about the clamp on style turn signal levers potentially having issues as they could cause the horn to constant ground? Perhaps using the outer column, but placing a rubber spacer in between the turn signal clamp and the column would eliminate the issue? Ill have to experiment. Thank you for the replies.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Perhaps using the outer column, but placing a rubber spacer in between the turn signal clamp and the column would eliminate the issue?

That is correct...will send you a pic tomorrow of what the PO did to the buggy I have, he did not use rubber BTW, but a stronger solid material..might be Teflon.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I'm using a Grant steering wheel and adapter. My concern is I read something about the clamp on style turn signal levers potentially having issues as they could cause the horn to constant ground? Perhaps using the outer column, but placing a rubber spacer in between the turn signal clamp and the column would eliminate the issue? Ill have to experiment. Thank you for the replies.

The Grant horn button will need a horn relay. They cannot handle much current.

The problem with isolating the steering column the way you have in mind is that the upper steering column bearing electrically connects the steering shaft and tube. It is a spring preloaded ball bearing. So even if you run 2 wires up the steering shaft its likely the whole mess ends up "live." Its only 12 volts live, not a shock issue and the stock turn signal switch handle has car voltage on it too.

I'm having a hard time seeing how the turn signal switch body could be a problem unless it is the kind that has the indicator lights built in and is expecting the switch housing to be grounded. In that case I think I would use some type of seperate horn switch or create some type of sleeve to isolate the switch from the column.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Not sure if it’s the exact model, but looks dangerously close to what I have and honestly the chrome on the one I have is peeling so this may be what I end up ordering :

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Heavy-Duty...dzEALw_wcB

Technically the steering column is isolated if I’m not mistaken as I don’t see a grounding point. So it should be able to be used as a conduit to the steering wheel and then the connection using a wire down the shaft over the steering coupler to the steering box side of the coupler.

Looks like Speedway has the relay, so another order.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

The problem with isolating the steering column the way you have in mind is that the upper steering column bearing electrically connects the steering shaft and tube. It is a spring preloaded ball bearing. So even if you run 2 wires up the steering shaft its likely the whole mess ends up "live." Its only 12 volts live, not a shock issue and the stock turn signal switch handle has car voltage on it too.

I'm having a hard time seeing how the turn signal switch body could be a problem unless it is the kind that has the indicator lights built in and is expecting the switch housing to be grounded. In that case I think I would use some type of seperate horn switch or create some type of sleeve to isolate the switch from the column.

Solution is have the tube at GROUND potential ALWAYS.... "Horn button" (Grant style for me) is a ground operate path (wire down center shaft) for a relay... How you wire relay is your choice... Either ground switched or 12v switched to horn... It really does not matter... Solves issues with turnsignal switch with lamps in it or lift to dim on lever that operates from switch assembly being grounded...

I have this style TS switch on coluum (grounded).... Its not the chinese junk one, but quality metal one...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And have a "horn button"... Mounted on under side of switch body to operate headlight dimmer relay...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Solution is have the tube at GROUND potential ALWAYS.... "Horn button" (Grant style for me) is a ground operate path (wire down center shaft) for a relay... How you wire relay is your choice... Either ground switched or 12v switched to horn... It really does not matter... Solves issues with turnsignal switch with lamps in it or lift to dim on lever that operates from switch assembly being grounded...

I think I see what you are saying. Reverse the VW wiring and put the column and shaft at ground and feed the power in via the wire up the center. That is a good idea if the turn signal switch needs a ground. I have never thought much about that possibility since I've just used stock VW turn signal switches (the 3 wire ones seem to turn up at swap meets for less than the cost of an aftermarket switch, and they can auto cancel too.)
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Quote:
Solution is have the tube at GROUND potential ALWAYS.... "Horn button" (Grant style for me) is a ground operate path (wire down center shaft) for a relay

This requires the looping of wire around the steering column/shaft correct?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:
Solution is have the tube at GROUND potential ALWAYS.... "Horn button" (Grant style for me) is a ground operate path (wire down center shaft) for a relay

This requires the looping of wire around the steering column/shaft correct?

Yes we are back to the unconventional and ugly but workable solution....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Here are some pics of mine and what the PO did. I bought it and started doing some work on it right away, I cant put it on the road the way it is, has to be stripped right down and done over.

Here you will see where the wire to the horn connects and fed through the steering column.

Here is the insulation block the PO made, I will re-do all of this.

Pic of horn, I forgot to take one of the horn specifically.

As I said, I have never had this Buggy on the road. I am stripping the roll cage off, tub off, to work on pan, suspension, some maintenance, sand, paint and do some upgrade mods to it.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Bear with me here as I’m going to try and wire the horn tomorrow. I’m thinking the middle diagram will work best but trying to wrap my head around this.

My question is does #30 terminal on the switch and the one coming off the horn have to share a commons ground as in this diagram or can they have individual/separate wires grounding them? I.e can the horn button use a wire down the shaft grounding over the rag joint and the #30 terminal have its own ground to the chassis? Otherwise I’m trying to figure out how to go from the HB over the rag joint and then to the #30 terminal.

Any help is appreciated.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Bear with me here as I’m going to try and wire the horn tomorrow. I’m thinking the middle diagram will work best but trying to wrap my head around this.

My question is does #30 terminal on the switch and the one coming off the horn have to share a commons ground as in this diagram or can they have individual/separate wires grounding them? I.e can the horn button use a wire down the shaft grounding over the rag joint and the #30 terminal have its own ground to the chassis? Otherwise I’m trying to figure out how to go from the HB over the rag joint and then to the #30 terminal.

Any help is appreciated.

Yes.... Any ground will do, in sketch its just that way for illustration... BUT the ground you are concerned with is actually on 85 as it is the "control" (ground from horn button) that operates relay.......

Dale

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

I’m going to run a wire from 85 to the outer column which is an easy wire. I was just concerned if there was a specific reason to have to tie the other two together.

Like this:

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

You simply run an unswitched wire from the fuse block to the positive terminal on the horn

Looks like you're adding in a unnecessary relay to the 66 and earlier horn circuit. You don't need to use the relay at all if you are going to run an insulated ground wire through the steering shaft to the horn button. When the horn button is pressed it grounds the outer column and the wire from the outer column grounds the horn.

Last edited by BL3Manx on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

This is my reasoning for adding the switch. Is this truly unnecessary than? I already have the switch, but would make for a much easier install if its not needed.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

It will work fine for quite a while without a relay but he's right, reducing the amps going through the horn button is not a bad idea. Its actually the same with the VW starter switch, but even more so.

It does look like you're following the middle diagram, that should work

What do you mean specifically "tie the other two together"?

What's changing when you add the relay in that circuit is that the horn is getting its ground from a larger contact in relay, not from the smaller contact in the horn button. The heavier amperage goes through the relay's heavier contact. The horn button is just used to activate the relay which requires less amps

The thing is, how often do you use the horn. If hardly ever, just the horn button without a relay will work fine for years. When it starts to be a problem, clean the contact and add a relay if you want

Last edited by BL3Manx on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
It will work fine for quite a while without a relay but he's right, reducing the amps going through the horn button is not a bad idea. Its actually the same with the VW starter switch, but even more so.

It does look like you're following the middle diagram, that should work

What do you mean specifically "tie the other two together"?

What's changing when you add the relay in that circuit is that the horn is getting its ground from a larger contact in relay, not from the smaller contact in the horn button. The heavier amperage goes through the relay's heavier contact. The horn button just activates the relay which requires less amps

The thing is, how often do you use the horn. If hardly ever, just the horn button without a relay will work fine for years. When it starts to be a problem, clean the contact and add a relay if you want

Yes

Sharp64 wrote:
I’m thinking the middle diagram will work best but trying to wrap my head around this.

From my post above.

Sharp64 wrote:
My question is does #30 terminal on the switch and the one coming off the horn have to share a common ground as in this diagram or can they have individual/separate wires grounding them? I.e can the horn button use a wire down the shaft grounding over the rag joint and the #30 terminal have its own ground to the chassis? Otherwise I’m trying to figure out how to go from the HB over the rag joint and then to the #30 terminal.

You've obviously never driven in Central Florida.... Laughing In all seriousness I need something to get the attention of the habitual text readers to realize the light is green. :fist: I considered carrying around an airhorn.

I may go ahead and wire it without the relay for the time being then and add it later. The PO attempted to wire a horn simply by putting a switch on the dash in a simple circuit between the ignition and the horn. I cant see where he grounded it so it no worky. But the basic wires are there that I can reuse and save some effort until I cut the hood out and have better access in order to redo all the wiring under the dash. Looking for relatively quick fixes until after March when its starts to get too warm to drive and I take it back off the road for a little bit.

Last edited by Sharp64 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:58 am; edited 4 times in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

A ground is a ground. The wire running up through the column doesn't have to be off the same wire running to the 30 terminal.

Again, if you're not gonna be using the horn frequently(New York City? Cairo?) the horn button will last years
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Well after spending a fair amount of time running new wires and such my column and shaft must be grounding out on each other. Guess I'm relegated to using a damn push button. Crying or Very sad
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Well after spending a fair amount of time running new wires and such my column and shaft must be grounding out on each other. Guess I'm relegated to using a damn push button. Crying or Very sad

There is supposed to be a thin plastic insulator between the shaft and bearing at top of column that insulates the two from each other....Most people seem to forget or not have knowledge of it supposed to be there.....

This why it is the simplest solution to ground shaft (strap around flex joint) ... Ground one side of horn button to shaft and other side of button to a wire...Run a wire down center of shaft and a few wraps around shaft and then to relay (or horn)..... Forget about using column as part of horn circuit if you don't have insulator at top of shaft between shaft and bearing on column......

Dale

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
...Run a wire down center of shaft and a few wraps around shaft ...

That's the way I did mine:

Built a spring opperated rig to take up slack in the wrap'd piece of very flexible wire:

However, didn't want that wire to be hot. So, ran fused 12v positive directly to horn. That way, the wire thru steering column connects other horn terminal to ground when button is press'd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: