Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Well as seems to go with electrical projects for me, I wired it up like in the 3rd diagram (just like yesterday) and it suddenly works correctly and I’m not getting the intermittent horn that seems like it was grounding off the column somehow. Only thing I did differently was take the turn signal switch (dune buggy style) off while I set it up. Before putting the clamp and TS switch back on I wrapped the area it contacts with electrical tape. Not an elegant solution, but I have a horn button operated horn now! Yay me. Hooked my ground from the horn to the shaft clamp on the drivers side of the rag joint and ran the wire from the horn button down the shaft and attached it to the steering box side of the rag joint. Used some zip ties to loosely keep the excess wire under control. I may change this and try to drop a sheet metal screw into the column or clean off the paint on the column and use a bare metal clamp to secure a male fitting for the wire to attach to. This would look cleaner for sure.

Thanks for the help and feedback.

Yeah!...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
[snip previous posts]
I think you misread what I was saying, or maybe my statement was not written clearly... I think we are saying same thing but using different wording, interpretation..... In stock form without insulation at bearing, bearing and shaft are "common".... If you use wire up shaft from rag joint as I stated you are correct.... The thing is VW in its original form did not do this... In original form shaft was grounded, and insulation was uses at bearing and column was return path for ground to horn... What we have to do is find a work around to VW original scheme because VW concept does not work on most FG buggies with after market steering wheels and most builders have missed the insulator at bearing....

In '62-'67 Bugs the shaft and the tube are electrically common. The ground is through the steering box by a wire running down the center of the steering shaft, from the horn button to one of the steering box side bolts of the rag joint. The unique '60-'61 system has been covered, but I don't see any coverage of the pre-'60 or the post-'61 systems. Here is a link to explain a range of different VW Bug horn wiring system over the years.

If you have the steering column tube grounded you can use the wrapped wire system to supply power up the column to the horn button, basically reversing the stock set up. The stock system uses the steering box to supply ground for the horn circuit. This often results in intermittent horn operation when the steering box doesn't supply a good ground.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Horn wiring Reply with quote

In my case I spoke too soon. Horn stopped working a mile down the road and then when I hooked it back up it starting grounding again.

I ended up rewiring again using a variation of the middle diagram showing the three potential wiring options. I modified it in that I ground the switch directly to the chassis and then the wire running from 30 to the HB I ran to an isolated bolt through the fiberglass under the steering column and used a ring connector to the wire running through the column to the HB. I then ground the column/shaft with a jumper over the rag joint to the steering box.

What a cluster. Good thing I wasn’t being paid by the hour, I’d owe myself about $1000 in labor charges. Lol.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: