Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plantbasedchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

Any experience / suggestions with GLS fold down bench turning into better sleeping platform? remove the middle 2 pp bench, add a fold up platform?

[Moderator edit: Topic title amended to be more specific.]
#1 1972 powder blue Rabbit (first car purchase)
#2 1972 Beetle (ex's engagement gift)
#3 2014 jetta wagon (current ride)
#4 ......
IG: plantbasedvanlife

“What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?”
― Jack Kerouac
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: GLS camper capabilities Reply with quote

not sure I understand what you're looking for?

but yes removing the middle 2seat bench will improve getting into/using the bed.

if the rear bench isn't comfortable for you, there are limited options.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: GLS camper capabilities Reply with quote

GLS...Is this a Eurovan?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plantbasedchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: GLS camper capabilities Reply with quote

My apologies for the confusion. im mixing up vans....

91 Vanagon GL...

bench just folds down, doesn't seem to be a Z fold style. concerned about the sleeping area.

I'm planning on eventually removing the middle bench. the increased space made me think there may be a way to increase sleeping area of the fold down rear bench
#4 ......

― Jack Kerouac
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: GLS camper capabilities Reply with quote

My van is a 91 GL and the rear bench folds flat, level with pad over engine compartment, making for a queen sized bed. I am pretty darn sure that's standard for all 91's, so if yours does not do that, it's been replaced with an older bench for some reason. I've literally never had the middle bench in my van, so no idea about how/if it would interfere, but yeah, taking it out would help with access.

EDIT: Just to make sure- it's a process to fold the bench down this way. You unclasp the back and then grasp the front of the seat, lifting the whole thing both forward and up, like in a rainbow motion. The back folds flat while the seat rolls forward and lays flat. Kind of hard to describe, but does this sound like what you're doing?

Last edited by mikemtnbike on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
speeglej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: GLS camper capabilities Reply with quote

IMO, the cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to keep the middle seats in and fold both back benches forward. Then put a piece of plywood over the top and roll out a mattress topper. It's not sexy but would make a good sized comfortable sleeping platform.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The other option is to take out everything and do this conversion.

speeglej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the easy option.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

Aren't all these last pictures of a Eurovan interior and OP has clarified it's a 91 Vanagon?
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

I also have a 91 GL
I remember when I first got it I went to lay the rear seat out all bed styles and I could not get it to go.
I fought with it for 3-5 minutes and all I could make it do was either flip the back down or flip the bottom up.
I was pretty new to the bed/seat thing so I just assumed that it was not a bed/seat.

I figured meh I have a "z bed" i can put in it so i will just do that.
However I went to mess with that bed and could also not get it to go.
I was bummed because I thought I was conned into buying another regular seat.

I then went to pick my extra seat up of the bench where I was working and magically the thing just laid out flat practically on it's own.

I looked it over and it looked exactly like the seat in my van so I went out and tried that again and for whatever reason I easily lifted and slid and all that jazz and it flopped right out into bed mode.

I have no idea what I was doing the first time but it was wrong.

Anyway the 91 GLs all had the Zbed.
unless there are bars under it that bolt it to the floor of the van it is a Zbed.

Of course the pad that goes over the engine was missing on mine but there are options there.

My point is go try folding it again.
the bottom should come up and forward and the rest will follow.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Aren't all these last pictures of a Eurovan interior and OP has clarified it's a 91 Vanagon?

Yeah, but the mattress is cool enough I think we should let him keep going.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

there are 2 styles of rear bench in GL vans. if the rear bench is contoured and has flip down arm rests it won't make a flat bed surface
if the rear bench does not have armrests and there is a latch in the center of the back rest then it will fold down to make a flat sleeping surface.. it is a little bit of a pain in the back and is largely difficult for those who are short in stature..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

91 GL Queen size bed

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
plantbasedchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

the van I'm looking at, just thru photos as of now, mirrors the 91GL queen bed that TIMWHY posted, with the latch behind the center headrest, and the foam cover over engine bay.
#4 ......

― Jack Kerouac
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

Middle row
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

If it has the center latch handle on the back side of the backrest then it is a BED type seat.
Pull the latch handle, lean the backrest forward a little, then lift the seatbench up a little and the front and PULL the seatbench FIRMLY forward. Push the seatback down as the seat bench comes forward.

Mark

plantbasedchef wrote:
the van I'm looking at, just thru photos as of now, mirrors the 91GL queen bed that TIMWHY posted, with the latch behind the center headrest, and the foam cover over engine bay.
plantbasedchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

QED. Appreciate the info. that was the answer I was hoping for
#4 ......

― Jack Kerouac
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

I can confirm that all 1991 USA Vanagons had the rear seat that folds into a bed. This is even true of the base Vanagons, not just the GL models.

Check here:
https://www.vanagons.org/1991.html

In addition to Mark's instructions, I'd recommend pushing the seat belts back through the crack before you pull the bed out. They can add a bit of restriction and getting them our of the way makes it a little easier.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

The GL bed was my most favorite of the three configurations we have had: GL, Weekender and Full Camper. Granted, my memories of how comfortable it was are based on a body I last inhabited ~18 years ago... Wink
Some people call him Maurice...
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: '91 GL tin-top camper capabilities: Rear seat fold into bed? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
The GL bed was my most favorite of the three configurations we have had: GL, Weekender and Full Camper. Granted, my memories of how comfortable it was are based on a body I last inhabited ~18 years ago... Wink

My wife prefers the Queen bed to our Westy's bed due to the sheer size of it. We added a 2" memory foam topper to the Queen and it is super comfy.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: