Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rattling in fan housing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
apba12m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: rattling in fan housing Reply with quote

I just got the engine back together fron rebuild started break in and now have a rattle in the fan housing. pulled the gen belt and as I spin the fan it is hitting something that is loose inside. Bottom line will the whole fan shroud come off with engin in the car or should I bite the bullet and pull it again?
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull it again , you can get the fan out without liffting the fan housing easy with dual carbs a lot harder with stock carb. If you want to make it easy if you have to replace the fan or gen again while you have the engine out replace the 4 studs that hold the gen stand with bolts as i did and it makes it easy to remove the fan if you need to do it again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the nut loose on the back of the generator that holds the fan on? If so, you might be able to tighten it up by holding it with a big socket and turning the front part of the generator with a wrench.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not possible to pull the doghouse off with the engine in the car, but you can pull the generator if you work at it. Pull carb, intake manifold, fuel pump (I think) loosen the strap, remove the generator backing plate bolts to the doghouse, remove the side doghouse bolts, remove the forward elbow tin (the one that takes the output of the oil cooler and ducts it forward). Whew, now unbolt the gen stand from the engine, lift the generator (which will pull the doghouse up about an inch) and the gen stand enough to get the gen stand clear of the studs, then slip the stand off to the side, then slip the gen out of the shroud. It helps if you have 3 hands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apba12m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to pull the motor. I can reach around and feel the fan as I turn the generator and nothing is loose. Must be a turning vane inside has come loose and hitting the fan?
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the engine tin is not hitting the pully, not that this was my case Embarassed

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
apba12m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it! one of the two nuts that hold the fan cover to the generator had come off and was loose between the fan and the housing. used loctite this time! engine back in and running fine...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: