Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West new grey cargo floor?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Wolfsburg West new grey cargo floor? Reply with quote

Has anyone here used these floors? All the information available through search is a quite old, so I'm not sure it applies. These are supposed to be the same thickness as factory floors.

Opinions? Rants?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211801404K

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thickness of the new grey stuff is the same as the OG panels. I personally haven't used the cargo floors but have used a front floor and cargo rocker. Amazing pieces IMHO. Great fit and great strength compared to all the other offerings I have come across.
SBS #00
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one sitting on top of my refridgerator at the moment. Its pretty thick. Not quite sure how or when I will install it, but its pretty dam strong and heavy. Much heavier than whats left of my front floor. Im just not sure how I want to do the heater pipe thing. Havnt attempted any real body work yet. I say go for it...cant beat the price and they usually seem to have the parts i need in stock.
westy_LA_fade_away
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with mine, but I have to agree with quatermilecamel... I was going from this:

to this:

its solid as a rock, now.

I'm going to try to pick up a few other trannys for more options.

Quote:
JacsWagen

Sometimes function over looks isn't bad, unless you're at a bar.

Cheers!

Marc Schumer
1990 Westfalia Camper
[email protected]

_______
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New WW cargo floors are not as thick as originals. I would use gerson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the bus driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original floor measured 1,2mm, I fitted a new WW floor and it measured 0,8mm not ideally but nevertheless a superb fit and shape.

If you want the same thickness you should use the green stuff.

65 Highroof (13w-wt-westy)
64 Highroof (13w)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bus driver wrote:
My original floor measured 1,2mm, I fitted a new WW floor and it measured 0,8mm not ideally but nevertheless a superb fit and shape.

That's interesting because WW listing clearly states the floor is the same gauge as factory. They would not lie, would they? I believe your measurement, so don't get me wrong.

Are you happy with the floor's strength and stiffness?
the bus driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
the bus driver wrote:

That's interesting because WW listing clearly states the floor is the same gauge as factory. They would not lie, would they? I believe your measurement, so don't get me wrong.

Are you happy with the floor's strength and stiffness?

I won't judge them about what they claim, all I know is that we measured and weighed the floors we had and the result was not the same!

This is what I found.. 4 floors available..

-The cheap black one (brand ?) which we measured 0,7mm which is nearly half of what the original one is and the fit/shape is not the best..

-The orange one (brand ?) little bit more expensive than the black (but still cheap) one which we measured 0,8mm with an equal shape/fit as the black one..

-The grey one (WW) measured 0,8mm with a great fit/shape/pressing.

-The Green one (Klassic Fab) measured ? I think 1,2mm as I believe the
weight was about 28 kg and similar to what I pulled from my bus but this needs to be confirmed by someone who used it. (I did not choose this one simply as delivery in Europe is not good and I've had a negative experience with their sheet metal in terms of fit/shape/pressing)

Hope that helps!

Here you can see my build thread

64 Highroof (13w)
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent info and I love the build pictures. Thanks!
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone buy/use Autocraft floors?

http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/productdetails.asp?pid=344&id=12&gmnu=60&cmnu=1
the bus driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Anyone buy/use Autocraft floors?

http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/productdetails.asp?pid=344&id=12&gmnu=60&cmnu=1

That must be brand-new as they didn't do one 5 months ago..
Or is it the WW-one they're selling?

64 Highroof (13w)
Wexford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel at Autocraft told me last week that the floors they sell *are* WW, since they dont make their own and not equipped to press/fab them.

However, Autocraft have always had good quality control IMO, and they would not sell them if they were not happy with them.

Thick metal is great, but the downside is it requires more workings if the fit is not exact, especially on something the size of a cargo floor.

The welding quality/etching/priming/paint and seam-sealing seem just as important to me as the metal thickness. A pro doing a good job with thin metal is going to be better than a numpty using thick metal.

Ben
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 1/3 KF and WW recently. WW was obviously thinner guage, pressing very nice, fit was perfect. KF was nice and thick, pressing mediocre, fit good. I prefer the KF HD floors over some nice looking wimpy guage. Too bad WW isn't actually making them original gauge, as they are far superior in every other way.
K
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why. If your going to go through the trouble of making the dies why you would not use the right gauge. Sure you need a bigger press but if you made i that far with he dies get a bigger press.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new WW Cargo floors and when I measured the thickness I came up with the same gauge as the original floor...Very nice fit and pressings
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
I have the new WW Cargo floors and when I measured the thickness I came up with the same gauge as the original floor...Very nice fit and pressings

Think

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the bus driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
turbotype1 wrote:

Think

Are you sure it wasn't 2 floors sticking together ?? Laughing

As far as I know, only the green floor is nearly the same as the original floor in terms of weight and thickness!

64 Highroof (13w)
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a WW cargo rocker and outer 11" of cargo floor about a year ago. Both were about .006" (.030" vs .036") thinner than the virgin OG areas I measured. BTW I removed paint/primer from both the OG and the WW specimens before measuring. I also noticed the WW had oddly spaped end areas of the floor ribs that really did not match OG. While the WW cargo rocker looked really nice and correct as far as I could tell.

I opted to use the previously purchased KF funky floor and rocker as they were about .002" thicker than OG with more "correct" looking ribs but I had to deal with the typical KF fit and cosmetic issues....ultimately KF panels were the best available at the time (last 2-3 years) than all other brands of repro's I've bought...do not expect an NOS looking or fitting repro part and you won't be dissapointed with KF Confused

Although...my metalwork is done on my bus and it will be going to paint in the next week or so Very Happy .....I have recently bought an AutoCraft (AC) rear apron and the craftsmanship is surpurb IMO...will be nice to order the AC panels for my next project if their quality is as nice as the apron.

www.azbusclub.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that the WW floors are thinner, do you notice any give when you step on them? I recall using the old orange ones years ago and there was noticable flexing.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjonas wrote:
I ordered a WW cargo rocker and outer 11" of cargo floor about a year ago. Both were about .006" (.030" vs .036") thinner than the virgin OG areas I measured. BTW I removed paint/primer from both the OG and the WW specimens before measuring. I also noticed the WW had oddly spaped end areas of the floor ribs that really did not match OG. While the WW cargo rocker looked really nice and correct as far as I could tell.

I opted to use the previously purchased KF funky floor and rocker as they were about .002" thicker than OG with more "correct" looking ribs but I had to deal with the typical KF fit and cosmetic issues....ultimately KF panels were the best available at the time (last 2-3 years) than all other brands of repro's I've bought...do not expect an NOS looking or fitting repro part and you won't be dissapointed with KF Confused

Although...my metalwork is done on my bus and it will be going to paint in the next week or so Very Happy .....I have recently bought an AutoCraft (AC) rear apron and the craftsmanship is surpurb IMO...will be nice to order the AC panels for my next project if their quality is as nice as the apron.

Autocraft rear apron is the bees knees... hands down.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: