Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

basic roll cage....
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: basic roll cage.... Reply with quote

As I am doing a ground-up resto-custom and plan on installing some race seats, I was wondering if anyone knew of a basic roll cage for the ghia. Basically I want a main hoop with harness bar and two bars going to the rear. I assume the reason most don't get them is because the ghia floor pan isnt strong enough or am I wrong. I do not plan on having rear seat, so that isn't a concern.
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big plates on both sides of the floor, are you looking to buy a cage or build one?
thor
scca tech inspoctor
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FV195 wrote:
big plates on both sides of the floor, are you looking to buy a cage or build one?
thor
scca tech inspoctor

Do you think that two plates on both sides of the 19 gauge floor plan would be suffice? If there is one already pre-made for a reasonable price then yes I would buy one, if not then I am looking for a roll cage fabricator who could make one.
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you looking for a 4 point, 6 point..?
it should be tied to the rear torsion at least, not just plates sandwiching the floor pan, also ties into the heater channel is good, however, makes removing the body impossible, without cutting. i started with one of those pre made 6 point cages, then tied into the tunnel, front beam, and rear torsion. that required buying a bender. oh wait, mine is a bug... may still apply..

Click to view image
Bmueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/racecarconst.aspx#a45

This is what I followed to make a roll cage.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunnel, side pillers,torsion,etc, as many as you can find to tie them too, if the heater chanels are toast might want to thinkl about making them out of roll cage tubing so you can tie to them,make them a part of the floor or body, witch ever you choose.I have never liked sandwitching the floor pan, but thats ok if the pan is good, but it also should have some going to the tunnel or some other structure. with this said we have built many chassies,but not a vw.I take that back we did do a ghia way back in the mid 70's, but the entire body was replaced(aka shit caned) as was the pan.just a tunnel, f&r beams.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: