Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which side do you carry a kayak/canoe on a full Westy?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Which side do you carry a kayak/canoe on a full Westy? Reply with quote

I would think passenger side is better just because a full Westy is driver side heavy. I also have a spare tire rack mounted on the driver side on the back.

Is there a good reason not to mount a kayak on the passenger side?

I would probably use the kayak only once or twice a month

The kayak is about 60 lbs and 13ft long. Depending on which side the kayak goes on I will permanently mount my 130watt solar on the other side.

Thanks
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mount my canoe on the "top side". Works quite well....and weighs much more than 60 pounds.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on the passenger side roof with mine.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cargo box on the passenger side so mine's on the drivers side. I don't think it really matters though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my canoe (80 lbs) on the passenger side to help even out my "Westy Lean" a bit but don't know if it really makes a difference.

PDX, do you have some sort of cradle to hold you canoe right-side-up when you transport it? I would worry that doing it that way would be putting it in danger of "oil canning / tacoing" or filling up with rain during a storm. I always store/transport my canoe gunwales down.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the yakima rollers in the rear and the saddles in the front. Holds the canoe just fine. It makes it really easy to load by myself from the rear.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: boat on top Reply with quote

When I had my westy top on - i.e. pre hightop days - I had a Gary Lee safari basket, front bar and poat loading bar. The really nice thing about the Gary Lee racks is that they transfer all of the weight right down to the gutter - the top itself bears none of the weight. Several times I had aluminum boats up to 15' on the racks. The boat loading bar made loading and unloading quite easy. Since the rack and front bar were both full width, a canoe or kayak could easily be to one side or the other or centred as appropriate. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/vw.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I was going to ask PDX how you load your canoe but you already answered replying to SCM

@SCM How do you load your 80lbs canoe upside down? Do you do it alone?

I have never lifted a kayak before and I believe it won't be easy to load a kayak on top of a westy alone.

I have loaded/unloaded a porta-bote a few times alone and I pulled my muscle on my calf once and it lasted long time...
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside:

Very Happy Laughing Wink

targis58 wrote:

I have never lifted a kayak before and I believe it won't be easy to load a kayak on top of a westy alone.

I've got a Yakima rack for my Jetta and bought the boat loader attachment for it (back when I was using a hard-shell sit-on-top kayak): http://yakima.com/shop/water/lift-assist/boatloader . Works great! Pull the bar out, lift the front-end of the boat onto the bar, then lift the back of it up and slide the boat over/onto the rack (you can flip the boat using it as well). Don't how well it'd work with a Westy, given its height, but Yakima has other options: http://yakima.com/shop/water/lift-assist . I think Thule has the same type of products for their racks.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: kayaks Reply with quote

Two kayaks,total weight about 115 lbs. Travelled about 200kms. I didn't know they were on the roof.

As far as the Yakima boat loader goes...you can get a piece of 1/2 aluminum pipe for about 6 dollars. It will slide inside your bar. You just need to devise something for the end to grab and pull out. I'm on it! Very Happy

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

targis58 wrote:

Yep. Yakima makes a telescoping rod that inserts into the front cross-bar. That rod slides out about 3 feet from the side of the van when it's time to load up. I just sit the bow of the boat on the rod and the stern on the ground. Then I walk around to the back, lift up the stern and sit it up onto the rear cross bar. then I push the whole boat sideways and walk each end up over the little "L" shaped gunwale brackets on my rack. It sounds more complicated than it is.

With this set-up loading a boat onto the Westy is actually MUCH easier than loading onto my Pathfinder or Jetta which just have cross bars and no other provisions for the boat. I store my boat suspended from the rafters in my garage so it's already up in the air and easy for me to get under the carrying thwart when it's time to put it on the vehicles.
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, SCM

I think that is the cheapest way to load a kayak on a westy alone.

I wish Thule had a telescoping rod like Yakima. I am gonna look around what I can use to insert into a Thule bar.
JED THE SPREAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dress to the left,

Though to be fair my Kayak doesn't weigh much. By the time the roof angle tapers in it is quite a bit more central and I have driven all over the place, got to be over 12 counties on and off road with it on the roof with no worries so far.

jed
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

targis58 wrote:
Thanks, SCM

I wish Thule had a telescoping rod like Yakima. I am gonna look around what I can use to insert into a Thule bar.

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Watersports/WatersportCarriers/847-Outrigger-II Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
targis58 wrote:
Thanks, SCM

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Watersports/WatersportCarriers/847-Outrigger-II Wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy They DO have it. Thanks for the link. I did not see that when I was searching....
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also makes for a great place to hang a solar shower!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: