Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Name This Part (engines, body, misc.)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

The flat 3 connector is for cruise control.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

That rats nest looks so familiar. I even have the same yellow connectors hanging loose. What do those go to?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brunswicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. 61Scout, I'll test that blue/grey wire for voltage.
Brunswicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
That rats nest looks so familiar. I even have the same yellow connectors hanging loose. What do those go to?

T3 Pilot gave me some info via PM. Need to check the engine compartment (control box, might be there)
Brunswicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

looking for your help again. This time it looks like I have a leak in my k14 turbo setup (1.9 TD AAZ ). Seems to be coming from this hose. Don't know what this part is or what part number could be used to replace this one. Anyone know what part this is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Brunswicken on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Brunswicken wrote:
looking for your help again. This time it looks like I have a leak in my turbo setup...

Not having any idea what engine you have may make it hard for someone to help.

That said, if you remove the hose and go to a friendly auto parts store when they are not very busy they may help you peruse their selection of hoses for something close. Sometimes a section of a longer molded hose can be cut down to meet the requirements.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

Brunswicken wrote:
my k14 turbo setup (1.9 TD AAZ )

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

Brunswicken wrote:
my k14 turbo setup (1.9 TD AAZ )

Actually, I think he edited that in later, so Ahwahnee's statement made more sense in real time. I think that is the breather hose that goes to the separator on top of the valve cover.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brunswicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Yes I edited my original post. Thanks for the info guys. Got the hose of the van and will bring it to the autocrats store tomorrow.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

AAZ's are kinda thick on the ground in Canada, having never been imported int the US, tho. It may be the same part as a Jetta or Golf.
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

While cleaning my engine grounds yesterday I found this lone yellow connector underneath the coil. Anyone know what it's for? The closest thing I can find suitable to connect to was the yellow connectors that lay on top of the a/c compressor, but those yellow connectors are already connected. I'm having some serious problems with the engine refusing to idle & dying on cold starts, only cold starts. Wondering if this has anything to do with it, or something else perhaps. 1988 passenger Vanagon GL, 2.1 WBX. Thanks in advance!

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Sliding door spacer shim? While up on a ladder cleaning out crud I found this shim thing in the the upper sliding door support for the slider, it was laying down loose in the channel. I have never even looked up there in the 20 years I owned this van, so it could have been there that long:

Does it look familiar? How would such a thing even get up there randomly?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Sliding door spacer shim? While up on a ladder cleaning out crud I found this shim thing in the the upper sliding door support for the slider, it was laying down loose in the channel. I have never even looked up there in the 20 years I owned this van, so it could have been there that long:

Does it look familiar? How would such a thing even get up there randomly?

I'll have to ferret out my VW factory tools book (or the air-cooled 2.0 liter part of the Bentley) and look at pictures, but I believe it is the the hub removal tool for the cooling air fan hub ant the rear of the air cooled engine. You just insert this C between the hub and the backmost part of the crankcase, position the fan attachment bolts in the right position then draw them down evenly and the hub should pull off the tapered nose of the crankshaft.
CORRECTION: If this is indeed 11mm between the flats, That is not what is pictured here.
Vanagons:
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

This is probably covered elsewhere; There were some questions about the starter solenoid/relay.
The problem is that the stock starter solenoid takes about 10-15 amps, or more, for the initial pull in. Probably 8 to hold while cranking. As others have mentioned, electricity travels from the battery to the fuse/relay panel, to the ignition switch, and back to the starter solenoid. Over time those wires and connections have more resistance than new. And the starter may need a little more current when its old and hot. Eventually when you try to crank the engine nothing happens. If you put a voltmeter on the 50 terminal of the starter solenoid you will see something below 9 volts. Often not enough to actuate the solenoid.
So relay to the rescue. I like the Bosch WR 1 kit. Ready to install. The relay needs about 1/2 an amp to close its contacts. Then it will connect the big cable from the battery at the solenoid direct to the 50 terminal. Unless the battery is very low or the starter is needing replacement, it will crank..
Many different companies made similar kits, usually called a "starter booster".
Someone got the idea to use the "Ford" remote solenoid : https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=42859&cc=1133299&pt=4188&jsn=457
Which would often work. I found that the "Ford" solenoid needed near as much electricity as the Bosch solenoid on the starter. Replaced many of the "Ford" ones with the Bosch type.
Having the WR1 relay reduces the need to crawl under and tap the solenoid. Or wait till everything cools off. Or push start.
https://www.busdepot.com/wr1
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

TheArmand wrote:
While cleaning my engine grounds yesterday I found this lone yellow connector underneath the coil. Anyone know what it's for? The closest thing I can find suitable to connect to was the yellow connectors that lay on top of the a/c compressor, but those yellow connectors are already connected. I'm having some serious problems with the engine refusing to idle & dying on cold starts, only cold starts. Wondering if this has anything to do with it, or something else perhaps. 1988 passenger Vanagon GL, 2.1 WBX. Thanks in advance!

That looks very similar to the connector that goes to my oil pressure sensor in my 1980 AC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Hey The Armand - what color is the wire? It looks like it might be gray with white?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

Armands question was from some years ago.
That wire is found on the 88/89 version Digifant harness.
It was intended for the emissions system OBD fault code light on the dash that California was trying to require but didn't until years later.
If you look in the 88 Owners Manual it is explained and shown on the instrument cluster but afaik no vans came with it.
There is a matching wire inside the engine compartment wiring box and that wire would have been plugged in there.

Mark

bobhill8 wrote:
Hey The Armand - what color is the wire? It looks like it might be gray with white?
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Name This Part (engines, body, misc.) Reply with quote

CRAZYVWVANMAN is correct. If you are curious look at page 97.123 of the Bentley. There is, on current track 20 the "ECS-MAL IND LT AND SWITCH". Or as most call it the "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT". My 89 has an extra sticker on the emission label, on the back of the license plate door, "OBD_EXEMPT".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: