Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

31st annual Northwest Vintage Meet - July 20-22, 2012`
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see you at Burgermaster!

The motor in the Kombi broke on Wed, so we'll be bringing the salesflap S0 1 M127 Panel
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
see you at Burgermaster!

The motor in the Kombi broke on Wed, so we'll be bringing the salesflap S0 1 M127 Panel

Sorry to hear of the motor issues, but glad to see more Panels! Just finished another coat of varnish...

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great swap meet, I have not been to that in years. I remember when the swap was in the lower parking lot but being out on the track feild was cool. Great turnout of VW's too. There were 3 guys from the Northwest VW club walking around looking at the VW's and touching them! I was pretty surprised about that, You are in a club and you know the rules guys. Other than that, It was a great show.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, great turnout. I never seem to have cash when I get to shoreline.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great show! My bus isn't a show bus, but I volunteered at the event, so I got to park inside. That was cool!

Here she is (baby blue), looking proud amongst the other Bays...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here she is from across the way.

And finally, the view from inside:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great show, unfortunately my bus broke down blocks from the show. There were a lot of parts I needed but didn't want to carry them back to the bus. Luckily I got a cool tow-truck driver who's boss owns a 21 window. Made the ride home a lot better.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Nobody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great time at the show! Here is a couple of links to pics I took at the show and the friday night gtg at Burgermaster.
http://forums.pnwfahren.com/showthread.php?1082-Mr.Nobody-s-3rd-annual-Burgermaster-meet-pic-thread
http://forums.pnwfahren.com/showthread.php?1083-Pics-from-the-31st-annual-VW-Vintage-Meet
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Vintage meet at Shoreline Reply with quote

I have attended almost every vintage meet put on by Cascade Kombi and this had to be one of the best -- great car show with a large cross section of all models of air cooled --- one of the largest swap meets that i have seen at Shoreline and there was some good items and also good prices-- I bought a bunch of items on Saturday---- and the weather was outrageous 75 and sunny all day -- like i stated above one of the best ever ---- thanks to Zak and the whole Cascade gang
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage meet at Shoreline Reply with quote

Empicollector wrote:
I have attended almost every vintage meet put on by Cascade Kombi and this had to be one of the best -- great car show with a large cross section of all models of air cooled --- one of the largest swap meets that i have seen at Shoreline and there was some good items and also good prices-- I bought a bunch of items on Saturday---- and the weather was outrageous 75 and sunny all day -- like i stated above one of the best ever ---- thanks to Zak and the whole Cascade gang

I thought it was a great show too, until the Raffle that is! Evil or Very Mad
What the hell happened there? That puma raffle appeared to be an inside job...Must be present to win, yet the holder of the winning ticket wasn't present and he provided the graphics on the car? C'mon now that was BS. And walking back to the parking lot with everyone else thought the same thing too. All of us that bought tickets were conned. Shame on you Cascade Kombi's.
vwzach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Raffle confusion Reply with quote

Some folks were unhappy about the raffle drawing last Saturday so we want to clear the air! First off we take full responsibly and are truly sorry for any confusion and frustration with regards to the raffle.

The rule “must be present to win” always meant “Somebody has to be present with the winning ticket at the time of the drawing,” not: “The person who bought the ticket needs to be present at the time of the drawing.”

Since we start selling tickets the night before the drawing at the Burger Meat we want to make sure the ticket is present the next day. We are not going to track someone down who bought a ticket! We don’t keep track of anyone who bought a ticket.

This year the winning ticket was owned by someone who was not present at the show causing the confusion and frustration. So how did the winner get his tickets?

Terry and his family run a sign shop north of Seattle, and he graciously helped us w/ the graphics that went on the car. It was a last minute deal, as usual, and everybody was under time pressure the day before the Burger Meat.

Terry and his crew spent over 4 hours to finish the car, even though he had just lost his mother a few weeks ago, and the family was struggling not only w/ grief but also to replace the person who was a vital part of the business! He refused to take any money, so we gave him the equivalent of $100 in raffle tickets for his labor of love. How big a chance did he have to win anything? We sold around six thousand tickets! He didn’t have time to be at the show as he had to catch up on work, so we held his tickets for him at the show. The drawing itself was done fair and square, as always.

We are a small group of VW enthusiasts who put tons of hours into putting on this show, with our goal being a good time had by all. To that point the reason why we give away a restored car is because of the excitement it generates the day of the show. How many other cars shows do you know of that give away a car. Restoring a car to give away is a lot of work and money that we rarely recoup through ticket sales. For folks unhappy with the raffle results it sounds like we failed in our mission of “fun for all” and for that we are truly sorry. Next year assuming we do another raffle car we will make the "ticket must be present" rule significantly more clear. Our show is about having fun and sharing our enthusiasm for classic VWs. We feel we have a good track record over the last 31 years and plan to continue putting on a “fun for all” focused show for many years to come.

If you have thoughts on the raffle or anything else we could do to improve the Vintage meet please submit them on our websites contact page. http://www.cascadekombis.org/contact We seriously consider every comment so if you have thoughts please share them with us.

--zach
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Raffle confusion Reply with quote

vwzach wrote:
He refused to take any money, so we gave him the equivalent of $100 in raffle tickets for his labor of love. , so we held his tickets for him at the show. The drawing itself was done fair and square, as always.

--zach

So someone involved with car, plus those holding the raffle, held the winning ticket?
If the guy donated his time, Then why did you feel necessary to 'donate 100 tickets to him, and worse yet hold them? How else would the outcome be viewed? Controversy is written all over that desicion. Shocked

How about those other 5900 tickets that were actually sold to people not involved with the car or raffle? You are ignorant to think this is something that can be swept under the table. Myself and my friends that spent over $100 on tickets feel conned. That is all there is to it.

Sure it would have been great to win it, but the odds apparently were much higher than they appeared.

A little foresight might have been in order here. I hope Cascade Kombis gets a lot of shit for this. You deserve it!
Campmobile Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I did not attend the car show nor did I purchase any raffle tickets.

Terry should have been paid in cash or by other means like free advertising at the show for his sign business, but not in raffle tickets. When radio and TV stations conduct giveaways or contest, they have rules stating that company employees and their relatives are prohibited from participating or entering the contest. The reason is to avoid a situation that happened here - Unhappy contestants claiming fraudulent activities.
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think that the giveaway was rigged, or are you just upset you didn't win? I was there. They randomly pulled winning tickets out of a HUGE hopper for every single prize, including the car. It was a great show and it just happened that one of the unofficial sponsors (really just a guy that did the group a favor by printing out decals for the car) got the winning ticket. Man up and accept it instead of trying to slander good people.

Are you honestly saying that if you knew another person had $100 in tickets too that you wouldn't have purchased yours? Did you see how many tickets were in that drawing barrel? Rolling Eyes
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Raffle confusion Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
vwzach wrote:
He refused to take any money, so we gave him the equivalent of $100 in raffle tickets for his labor of love. , so we held his tickets for him at the show. The drawing itself was done fair and square, as always.

--zach

So someone involved with car, plus those holding the raffle, held the winning ticket?
If the guy donated his time, Then why did you feel necessary to 'donate 100 tickets to him, and worse yet hold them? How else would the outcome be viewed? Controversy is written all over that desicion. Shocked

How about those other 5900 tickets that were actually sold to people not involved with the car or raffle? You are ignorant to think this is something that can be swept under the table. Myself and my friends that spent over $100 on tickets feel conned. That is all there is to it.

Sure it would have been great to win it, but the odds apparently were much higher than they appeared.

A little foresight might have been in order here. I hope Cascade Kombis gets a lot of shit for this. You deserve it!

Let me assure you this will not be ignored, or "swept under the table". After each show a meeting is held and any problems, complaints, or possible improvements are gone over in detail. This one will be first on the list. Keep in mind, we are all volunteers and donate many hours to make this show successful. I would encourage you to come to a meeting, join the club, help out with the raffle car. I bet you wont feel conned then. We can always use a hand! Cool
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Raffle confusion Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
vwzach wrote:

--zach

You need a lesson in odds and statistics.

I was at the show, and didn't buy a ticket, nor did I see the winning ticket pulled. My odds of winning would have only been slightly greater had a bought a ticket.

I trust that the club did things honestly, and the luck of the draw went to the winner. Whether he should have been allowed to "purchase" tickets is another matter.

Excellent show, great weather, huge turnout, and fantastic swap this year. Loved every minute of it. Thanks to all of those that organized and volunteered to make the event a huge success. Applause
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campmobile Chris74 wrote:
For the record I did not attend the car show nor did I purchase any raffle tickets.

Terry should have been paid in cash or by other means like free advertising at the show for his sign business, but not in raffle tickets. When radio and TV stations conduct giveaways or contest, they have rules stating that company employees and their relatives are prohibited from participating or entering the contest. The reason is to avoid a situation that happened here - Unhappy contestants claiming fraudulent activities.

Key words right there. We aren't and never will be paid.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Raffle confusion Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:
vwzach wrote:

--zach

You need a lesson in odds and statistics.

I was at the show, and didn't buy a ticket, nor did I see the winning ticket pulled. My odds of winning would have only been slightly greater had a bought a ticket.

I trust that the club did things honestly, and the luck of the draw went to the winner. Whether he should have been allowed to "purchase" tickets is another matter.

Excellent show, great weather, huge turnout, and fantastic swap this year. Loved every minute of it. Thanks to all of those that organized and volunteered to make the event a huge success. Applause

i missed you there man...tried calling, but never got through Sad

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Raffle confusion Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I was at the show,

i missed you there man...tried calling, but never got through Sad

You know what? I saw you as we drove through the gate into the swap. I was probably number 15 or so in line. I didn't recognize you as I drove by and said HI, but once I figured out that it was you, it was too late to say anything and there was no stopping the train of cars to the swap area.

I did not receive any calls that I didn't return. I guess I gave you the wrong number or something. Did you get time to hit the swap meet?
Curtkolar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Raffle confusion Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
vwzach wrote:

--zach

Listen Frank, what ever your name is...I busted my ass on that car for 3-days wet sanding, buffing and detailing the you know what out of it just so it would look good for any winner, including you if it were you... plus put in $100 for tickets myself. Would I have done that for a inside job? I am on the inside! Joe has a great idea, come and hang out with us and help us, then you'll know what kind of people your slandering!

If not, keep that '89 Westy covered up and keep ass firmly planted on the bench!
(4 covers and 6 features world wide)

CORAL DELUXE
1957 Coral Oval with Allstate Trailer
Oct. 11 Ultra VW US Cover
Aug. 12 Hot VW feature
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaned my 77 Westfalia out to a family member to camp in this weekend. So the back up plan was to take the 68 Camaro out for a dust off. Here is how part of it panned out Twisted Evil

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: