Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
In addition to the Brown Bentley this ATSG Volkswagen Models 003 - 010 Techtran Manual is equally as good, great technical service information and exploded views.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In my searching for different manuals on the auto trans, I have collected quite a few, from the Bentley Type 3, to Various Type 4s, and even Type 2s. I even have that one. I don't know how they got away with it, but it is almost a virtual copy of the Bentley's auto section.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Subscribed ,,,,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Currently working on installing new seals on my 1973 412 003 auto trans. I have the ATSG workshop manual. Is it possible to replace the transmission side pinion seal without splitting the differential carrier from the carrier housing? If I do remove the diff carrier can I just slide it back together after just replacing seals withot disturbing any adjustments? Also, how does one change out the little governor seal…from the top externally or is it internally? Not sure if I understand which way that seal is seated..hard to tell by looking down the governor shaft bore. Thanks for any help.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding type 3 Reply with quote

well here goes have got the engine out the trike type 1 now to get the gearbox out going to take both drive shafts off make it easier to get the type 3 auto box out that top left bolt, on the housing 7 inches long tight all the way off ,
should i take the torque convector off the engine or leave it in situ , is there any thing i should check on the convertor ,
once i get the gear box out i have some one who is going to do the job for me
i just want my trike back on the road
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding type 3 Reply with quote

bun wrote:
well here goes have got the engine out the trike type 1 now to get the gearbox out going to take both drive shafts off make it easier to get the type 3 auto box out that top left bolt, on the housing 7 inches long tight all the way off ,
should i take the torque convector off the engine or leave it in situ , is there any thing i should check on the convertor ,

Be careful of the long rod that will slip out of the center of the torque converter.
The torque converter is heavy, so maybe you should take it out for easier handling to the Transmission Shop?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding type 3 Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
bun wrote:

Be careful of the long rod that will slip out of the center of the torque converter.
The torque converter is heavy, so maybe you should take it out for easier handling to the Transmission Shop?

got the engine & box out the trike the torque convertor was burnt i replaced it also replaced the crank case oil seal think that was the problem any way im looking for seals gaskets and friction plates any kind person want to sell me some as i cant afford to get them sent from, 0Z USA postage and import tax and vat has bombed me out , have two type 3 boxes one come from the the trike the other is unknown i may be lucky might be f852ked any help would be great i know nought about automatics heads spinning at just the thought of doing it getting it wrong
lekrz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Great article! plan to start my rebuild next week.

P.S. A beautiful woman having tattoos all over her body is like putting a bumper sticker on the back of a Porsche.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Glad I could help you. Good luck
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding type 3 Reply with quote

bun wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
bun wrote:

got the engine & box out the trike the torque convertor was burnt i replaced it also replaced the crank case oil seal think that was the problem any way im looking for seals gaskets and friction plates any kind person want to sell me some as i cant afford to get them sent from, 0Z USA postage and import tax and vat has bombed me out , have two type 3 boxes one come from the the trike the other is unknown i may be lucky might be f852ked any help would be great i know nought about automatics heads spinning at just the thought of doing it getting it wrong

You might try looking on the German E-bay. I know that trans was also used in some water cooled VW's in the 80's and early 90's. I only say that, as it might be cheaper to ship from Europe than from the USA. Also type 3 AT's were sold all over the world from 68.5 on, so you have options on the years for rebuilding kits. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding type 3 Reply with quote

bun wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
bun wrote:

If you can't find anything, your not in a big hurry and don't mind taking a chance, I have what I believe to be good used friction plates and seals that I have kept from the transmissions that I have rebuilt. My problem is that I am really crunched for time right now. I had to put my dad in an assisted living home, and I am scheduled for back surgery early December. So I have to get his "machine shop" moved into my garage before my surgery so his house can be sold. Basically, every moment that I am not working is spent boxing up everything and moving it to my house. However, if you don't mind used parts, PM me, and I will try and take a break to dig up the parts and let you have the stuff really cheap.
My builds
jordan_jensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Hello, With the help from this thread and the Brown Bentley I recently rebuilt the auto trans and resealed the diff. Today I was in the process of bolting in the CV's and noticed about an 1/8" of Axial Play at the Flanged Shafts. Both sides have equal play. Doesn't seem right to me so have been researching and found that brown Bentley says before 1970 there is no Adjustment. Car is a 1969 Fastback. Wondering if this is ok since no adjustment / shimming is available, or do I have something worn out that is allowing this much play? Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you
jordan_jensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Anybody have any thoughts on this question I posted a few days back? I've searched around through the forums and read the section in the Bentley. Not sure if I should be tearing into this because of excessive Axial play or since there no adjustment / shimming pre 70 models if I just roll with it?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

I'd run it like that in my 69 AT square. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jordan_jensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Ok I guess that's what I will do. Hope it works out. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: