Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Top Seal kit review
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally installed the BD seal w/o bulb on my '79 but the roof rack rattled at speeds over 45 from air pressure. I spliced in a length of bulb seal (left over from the pop-top) to the front section between the mounting screws. That stopped the air flow rattle but still allows plenty of drainage on the sides. Best of both.
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Javyd wrote:
What web browser are you using because I don't see that either!

I've got IE8 or 9 or something and it works for me, I like it, no more BEEP! BEEP! to scare the shit outta you if your kid forgot to turn off the speakers Shocked Razz

IE7 here (at work).
Yeah, that beep could be a little annoying, more so when you have head phones on!

I like that they still have the "wish list" option.
I use that all the time. You do have to create a new account, so your old
wish lists are lost I guess. No big deal.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Im going to need some pictures here. I have no fucking clue what y'all are yammering on about. Confused

Please pardon mys ignance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased that kit (granted this was six years ago) and its worked pretty darn good.
http://www.busdepot.com/WESTYRUBBER
It appears to be the same thing they have been selling for awhile.

Mine has an inside bulb around the large poptop section.

A flat piece that fits around the front of the poptop where the main tent screen is. Which allows a tiny bit of air to get in, but nothing noticeable other than my original tent gets filled with some air inside the cabin area.

And a seal (looks like a piece of rubber trim that pushes up onto the bottom portion of the rack. Thisseal has worked really well. I haven't noticed any issues at all with it. I'm 99.9% sure it isn't blubed on the inside.
Bev1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Q about proper prep before placing on the seals here...and Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this site. I too just got a full set of new seals with a bulb from Werksburg (well the flat top pop top seal has no bulb and it's the only one that needs to be glued). What is the best glue and technique too.?

I have a few questions and searched and so far only got part answers.

How do I prep the topper fiberglass edge removing the old, glued seals and make sure the top edge is clean enough to make the Werksburg seals I got that compress on work well, stay on, and not leak?? Confused I have a '79 sage green Westfalia stick and am going to part with it after 21 years (sob, sob) Crying or Very sad because I have pain issues making her too hard to drive for long periods. I've been trying to get her road worthy and drum up interest to get others to buy her. I don't want to give her away and I'd like the new owner to take care of her. I was ill for so long (several years) and didn't take care she didn't get some (gasp) rust eating at her Embarassed . It's not as bad as floors rusted through, but I'd say she's between condition 3 and 4 right now. But, her interior and engine are in great shape ... < 83,000 original miles mostly HWY. I digress...

The question here is about proper prep before placing on the seals.

I am concerned about not taking off the gelcoat, but heck, that gelcoat may already be off. I have not cleaned the "white" top. Where do I go to read about properly cleaning the top and making it nice and white too? I read one forum conversation and most everyone had a different opinion what was the best way to clean and brighten the top. Should I try doing that after taking seals off and then put new seals on? I'd rather the new owner do all that.

I like Westfabulous's hint for the luggage seal (I got the bulb seal for the luggage top too):

"go to the Home Despot and buy a package of small clear silicone cabinet door bumpers with the self adhesive back. Stick them to your bus in a few spots, underneath the seal, and they will hold the bulb off the bodywork, and facilitate water egress."
Jockomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to save 20 bucks Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
This should of been posted in the feedback topic.

Maybe so, but then again I know I would not have seen it there and therefore would have made the same mistake as I have that part on my shopping list.

Thanks for the heads up.

Oh and for you guys who can't see the new site, Try hitting F5 to refresh your browsers cache
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bev 1 I would send back the luggage rack portion of the kit to werksberg. I would ask them to send you a length of seal the same size with the bulb. Maybe their front luggage seal is different but it sure looks the same as the 1st one I through money away on from the BD. you should not have to glue that seal on period. Several places sell that seal with the bulb with no gluing required. If you glue it on and you get the same results many of us have you will really have a problem on your hands.
Bev1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hoody for replying. The luggage rack seal does not need gluing and has the bulb. Its only the Pop Top flat seal without bulb that they say to glue.

My top Question here is how to prep getting the old, bad seal glued on off (mainly the Pop top sections are critical now).

Do I just have someone scrap it off? Someone posted to sand the left over old seal, but I think that will remove any gelcoat that might be there. I want this done right the first time and not damage to Top.

_________________________________________________________-
Life is a test. It is only a test. If this was your actual life, you would have been given better instructions. Shocked
cefalu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just restored the pop top on my '74 Westy. I also used the Bus Depot seals. I have not driven my bus yet, but the seals were easy to install. No gluing is required.

However, I took the front and back tops off, since I wanted to install a new canvas boot and paint the whole top too.

I think it would be very difficult to install the luggage rack seal with a bulb if the luggage rack section was installed. Removing the luggage rack section requires access to 4 bolts under the roof which requires removal of the wood ceiling above the drivers section, which was a little tricky. As I recall the original seal on the front had no bulb.

Once I get an engine installed and get it on the freeway I will report back regarding the BD luggage rack seal, and the wind vibrations.

Regarding the glue I encountered, I used a carpenters wood chisel to carefully scrape away the old glue. Then I painted the whole top with Rustoleum as described elsewhere on this site. I also installed a new Bus Depot pop top boot, it fit perfectly and I can't imagine installing the boot with the pop top in the bus.
1974 Jeep J-20 ZZ
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 Sport
2008 Mercedes E350 Wagon
2018 Lexus GX460
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bev for misreading your post. The BD flat seal requires no glue and is 20 dollars. For that much cash personally I would not mess around with any glue. I do not remember there being any residual glue when I removed my original one. If there was any it came off easily when I wet sanded the entire top with 400 grit. So I guess my best guess would be to tape off the edge and wet sand with 400 grit the 1/4 -5/8ths inch that the seal will push on to. One thing I will add is leave an extra 1/4 inch on both sides of this seal to allow for when the top is lowered. I am on my second seal because of this. Another reason not to use glue. Hope this helps.
69satellite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what seal kit is the best to go with? seems theres issues with bus depots and some thing with werkberg luggage rack seal. I need a seal kit for my early style poptop and only want to have to buy this once.
Bev1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cefalu and Hoody. I appreciate the advice! Very Happy Will try to tackle the pop top push on seal this week. I'm not sure where is the best forum area to update the progress. Seals: here - yes. VW selling, different topic area, but where? Confused I'm noticing a number of people coming to see my 79 Westy and "test drive it" who use to own one. I think they are not serious buyers, but just want to go for a joy ride. Cool Question Others come and don't even know the top pops up. Shocked Again, not serious buyers. I think I'll figure out how to sell it here on Samba. Idea Maybe trade with some cash for a good Westy automatic this old body can hack.
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Yeah, Im going to need some pictures here. I have no fucking clue what y'all are yammering on about. Confused

Please pardon mys ignance.

I am in the same boat Confused
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Q about proper prep before placing on the seals here...a Reply with quote

Bev1 wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this site. I too just got a full set of new seals with a bulb from Werksburg

i was less than impressed with that same seal set up. my poptop now whistles like mad on the highway

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier, I have the bulb seal all the way around the bus. It is the only way to go in my opinion. Once and a while I'll pull the seal off the luggage rack and wash underneath. It can be put back on with the luggage rack in place; there is no need to remove it. There is no glue needed to secure it either. Click on the picture and you can see a larger picture of the seal and in particular the bulb.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to the question as to which is the best kit. The pop top seal and flat seal from BD are excellent. No complaints at all. The issue I had was with the luggage rack portion of the kit. Honestly I do not think they should even offer the "trim peice" with out the bulb. I am sure you can purchase their kit with the luggage rack seal with the bulb. As several people have stated there is no issue of water retention with the bulb. Personally I would not purchase any of these seals if they required glue.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
As mentioned earlier, I have the bulb seal all the way around the bus. It is the only way to go in my opinion. Once and a while I'll pull the seal off the luggage rack and wash underneath. It can be put back on with the luggage rack in place; there is no need to remove it. There is no glue needed to secure it either. Click on the picture and you can see a larger picture of the seal and in particular the bulb.

Are we talking about this kind of seal here???

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Westfabulous wrote:

Are we talking about this kind of seal here???

Well, with all that glare coming off your shiny paint, it's hard to say for sure......but I would have to say yes from what I can see. Mine looks to be a thicker type of rubber though.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Javyd wrote:
What web browser are you using because I don't see that either!

I've got IE8 or 9 or something and it works for me, I like it, no more BEEP! BEEP! to scare the shit outta you if your kid forgot to turn off the speakers Shocked Razz

i liked that beep.... Sad

HAted that beep. Always got me at work.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As IMO both Bus Depot and myself sell 2 different kits for both early and late bays.

A cheaper one with the trim for the luggage rack (more factory correct) and a little more expensive kit that has the luggage rack seal like the pop top bottom.

In my instructions for the luggage rack seal kits, I suggest to removing some of the bulb seal off the ends for water run off or slit the seal in the front or the back (late vs early bays) for water run off.

But most choose the cheaper kit..... Rolling Eyes

There never was any gel coating on these Westfalia FG tops. Just as instructions state, clean the lip where you need to glue the HD flat seal, apply some glue, apply seal and you might have to tape it into place until the glue sets up....

It's not rocket science.

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: