Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IDF Float Setting in Rebuild Kit 14mm?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had some time today to pull the carbs apart, reset the float to the same setting as its always been (10mm with a drop to 22mm) and gave the whole fuel inlet areas and needles & seats a thorough cleaning. Drove it about for 20 minutes then fine tuned the idle mix, checked sync and everything appears to be back to normal.

Whatever gremlin showed up to give me grief seems to have disappeared without a trace. The original needle & seat were both metal. I originally thought the needle had lost its rubber tip but I guess I had the all metal version. The only unusual thing I found was the spring inside the needle was really weak - it wouldn't support any weight from the float. The old needle's spring from the other carb was also weaker in comparison to the new needles but not as bad as the one which originally overflowed.

To get back to some of the other comments:
Quote:
with Uni Filters you are choking the intake, but leaving the float vents open.

The filters are the standard oval pleated filters that CB Performance provide withe their cast filter base and top assembly. If I can remember correctly Uni has some fancy filters but the ones I got are these very coarse things that wrap the outside of the pleated filter. They have very little restriction and are likely only good for chunks of dirt or sand. On or off these make no difference.
Quote:
Your leaving a bit on the table running the 1.7 heads

It was a budget thing at the time. Plan is to be saving $$$ for a bigger valved heads to go on after the current heads have gone over the 40K mile mark.

Thanks for the assistance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: