Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake warning light and generator lights stay on
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkstony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: brake warning light and generator lights stay on Reply with quote

i have a 74 vw bus new alternator plus regulator and new brakes all around my question is my brake lights do not work and also my brake warning light and alternator light stay on when running the question i am asking is will both lights stay on if their is a problem with the brake system i am wondering if the senders are going bad any help would be grateful i am moving soon and driving a long way. Shocked
teuton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone disturbed the wiring under the dashboard? When did the problem develop? Was it after the alternator work or after the brake work? Have you had any problems with a weak battery?

It sounds like a fuse or short circuit problem to me but I am really just guessing based on the information that you have given so far.

The first thing to do would be to check the fuses under the dash, particularly #12 (the right-most). My '74 had a burned up/fused brake warning lamp that caused me a lot of headaches. Since both the brake warning lamp and the alternator lamp are connected to the same blue wire from the alternator, try disconnecting the BLUE wire from behind the brake warning light. If the alternator light starts working properly, I would suspect that the brake warning lamp may be bad.
Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My alternator indicator light and my brake indicator light both went on and stayed on when my alternator went bad. I replaced the alternator and the voltage regulator and these lights went out.
Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkstony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: brake warning light and generator lights stay on Reply with quote

i finally found that my alternator where the voltage regulator plugs into it the bakolite was broken i reglued it now everything is back to normal. thanks for your responses. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: