Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse Electrolysis
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Has anyone used "reverse electrolysis" to clean their cylinders? I have had quite a bit of success bringing my engine tins back from the brink of death with this technique. I am planning on trying out on my cylinders and valve covers this week but wanted to know if there was any concern about weakening the steel from a chemistry stand point before I take the plunge.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Electrolytic rust removal won't make the metal any weaker than it already is. It doesn't remove any metal or alter the chemical makeup. In fact it technically converts rust back into metal (well, powdered metal). I'd say go for it. On cylinders, only thing I'd watch out for is "flash rust" after you remove them from the water bath. A spray with WD40 should prevent that.
sdavidg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

If you take the plunge i'd be interested in seeing the before and afters, and maybe some pics of the process. Popcorn
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Used this process for years. Works like magic. No damage. I let it flash rust again and then use Jasco Prep and Prime (Ospho X 10) then paint. Would not use the Jasco on cylinders tho.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
ferball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cover on the left is after an overnight soak and quick rinse. The cover on the right is untreated. I will probably let it soak another night.

My next question on doing the cylinders is should I paint? I know current wisdom is painting cylinders is stupid and bad idea and only done by teenagers who don't know any better. But my experiance with the tinware is that if I don't paint it or treat it with something the rust comes back with a vengeance. how bad is a light coat of high temp paint for the cylinders/cooling "system"?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Are you asking about painting the cylinders, or the tin surrounding the cylinders?

Cause you should paint the tin! But not the cylinders in my estimation.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Paint would burn right off the cylinders and make a mess, stink like hell. The remaining mess will reduce the cooling too.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Some people do paint cylinders with high heat enamels meant for engines. But the consensus AFAIK is that it reduces the cooling ability albiet not dramatically and is therefore not a recommended practice.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

ferball wrote:
I know current wisdom is painting cylinders is stupid and bad idea and only done by teenagers who don't know any better.

not sure where or when this consensus was reached, but I don't agree with it.
just built an engine with some cylinders i painted about 5 years ago and drove for 7000 miles.
they look and cool just fine.

you do know that you're not supposed to paint the insides, right Razz
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Raul talked about it a couple times and suggested google videos on it.

Link

Link

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
ferball wrote:
I know current wisdom is painting cylinders is stupid and bad idea and only done by teenagers who don't know any better.

not sure where or when this consensus was reached, but I don't agree with it.
just built an engine with some cylinders i painted about 5 years ago and drove for 7000 miles.
they look and cool just fine.

you do know that you're not supposed to paint the insides, right Razz

I paint all mine, it's prettier and stays cleaner, no heat issues either and some are approaching 30K miles. BBQ paint is perfect, if you are getting hot enough to burn that off you have other bigger issues.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

I also painted the cylinders on early 1200-1600 engines as most did back
in the day but, i quit when i heard it was not needed with cast-iron cylinders.

But, i have cleaned a lot of parts with Electrolysis over the years and i never
knew Raul did it too!

Small World Rolling Eyes
ferball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

I soaked a cylinder with decent results and it cleaned up nice, the only problem is the post bath scrub between the cooling fins. I probably won't paint because it looks decent and I am not sure the paint will last because I can't get wipe all the dust out between the fins. Anybody have a trick that works for getting it clean between the fins? I am happy with the job my wire brush did but I am open to suggestions.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I paint all mine, it's prettier and stays cleaner, no heat issues either and some are approaching 30K miles. BBQ paint is perfect, if you are getting hot enough to burn that off you have other bigger issues.

Black is the best color for absorbing and shedding heat. The value of black paint versus bare metal would depend on the ability to shed heat versus the insulation qualities of the paint. I doubt that a coat of black paint provides much insulation.

Damn: An opinion attempting to trump fact. I've been on the Vanagon forum too much. Laughing Embarassed

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maticus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

My experience with electrolysis was very positive (no pun intended) when I was restoring my gas tank. It was from a very crusty, filter-clogging mess to very nice, clean tank.

My setup:

I used my car's battery (she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon Laughing ) with a trickle charger attached to it, because the charger didn't just give off power all by itself.

As the videos above warned, you DO NOT want to have any open flames or allow electrodes to spark and ignite the Hydrogen gas coming from the electrolyte solution.

For de-rusting the cylinders, I think it would be a very good option. It doesn't take away the base metal so it wouldn't affect the bore negatively (pitting, warping) and it would be gentle on the valve covers.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Bob Hoover has a good article on painting cylinders.. He essentially makes the argument that unpainted metal is best, but when it rusts you have a worse heat conduction than if you'd just painted it black to begin with
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

ferball wrote:
Anybody have a trick that works for getting it clean between the fins?.

Sandblasting has always worked for me.

How about some Rust-mort/Ospho?, that stuff takes off the loose flash rust after a muriatic dip, maybe it'll work down in between the fins too?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

I'd use radiator paint if you must paint a cylinder. It is a thin black paint designed for minimal heat transfer loss. Use as light a coating as you can get by with. Some radiator shops used to just thin their paint way down so the coat was thin. Some very long discussions on this topic go on in the racing world especially when the radiator is limited in size or thickness.

A US Navy commissioned study available online shows that painted metal surfaces regardless of paint type emit 95% - 98% of the amount of heat they did prior to being painted. The paint acts as an insulator.
ferball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

Here is one of my cylinders after soaking, the bath dislodged some rotted cooling fins, ideally I should replace the it but the budget and time constraints won't allow it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse Electrolysis Reply with quote

ferball wrote:

Here is one of my cylinders after soaking, the bath dislodged some rotted cooling fins, ideally I should replace the it but the budget and time constraints won't allow it.

you gotta be kidding me that you are going to use those cylinders. Find someone who is rebuilding a motor with new pistons and cylinders, and buy their old ones. I've thrown away ones that were 20X better than yours because they were junk. If the outside looks like that the inside will have pits that will cost a huge amount of compression and oil leakage. In the end you'll end up building a worn out engine that runs terrible. Really!

here is a 93 mm set for $40.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1953498
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: