Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying used Dellorto's Sunday...no idea what I am doing. :D
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Buying used Dellorto's Sunday...no idea what I am doing. :D Reply with quote

Got a guy local to me selling a used set of FRD 34's with linkage, manifolds, air cleaners for $225. Seems liek a fair price a little under samba classifieds prices so I thought I would go for it. He says he pulled them from his runnig 1600 after he swapped for a 1835 this year and he rebuilt them last year. Says shafts are tight and they ran great when pulled. Can someone school me on what to touch, feel, and look for when I meet him? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you ptuing them on??

Grab the end of the throttle shaft and see if it has any wiggle to it. If not, good. Make sure the lever action is good and smooth, not crusty or odd feeling. Look for corrosion down the bores, around the venturis, look for bent or broken mixture screws on the bodies, make sure the linkage is all there, filter bases, tops, hardware, manifolds, etc...

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrodvw wrote:
What are you ptuing them on??

Grab the end of the throttle shaft and see if it has any wiggle to it. If not, good. Make sure the lever action is good and smooth, not crusty or odd feeling. Look for corrosion down the bores, around the venturis, look for bent or broken mixture screws on the bodies, make sure the linkage is all there, filter bases, tops, hardware, manifolds, etc...

I'm putting them on a stock 1600 I just started to tear down. I'm open to suggestions of other parts I should replace to get the most out of the carbs/motor.

Thanks for the advice HotRod I will do as instructed.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Arnolds64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Fluff and buff. Reply with quote

Get a Dremel and do a light port and polish of the heads. consider a large cam like a 110. These two thinks would really help give it some more go without breaking the bank. There is a really good tutorial on Cal-Look.com in there old Tech articles. Just bump up the jetting. I am sure that someone here can help with that.
64 Bug, White, 2017, Dual Weber 44's, Engle 130/Engle lifters, Home P&P'd 40X35 heads, CB 4340 nitrided crank, Eagle knock off H Beam 5.5" rods, Lowering Beam, Rancho Trans, Traction Bar. 225X60's rear, 145's front on Porsche Chrome Nipple Wheels.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fluff and buff. Reply with quote

Arnolds64 wrote:
Get a Dremel and do a light port and polish of the heads. consider a large cam like a 110. These two thinks would really help give it some more go without breaking the bank. There is a really good tutorial on Cal-Look.com in there old Tech articles. Just bump up the jetting. I am sure that someone here can help with that.

I personally think a engle 110 cam would be a bad choice for a pretty stock 1600 engine and lose you low end TQ.

I would use CB performance cheater cam, the frd's , head port fluff and buff and a basic 1 3/8 header.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: