Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roo Bar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MATTHEWDD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Anyone ever wind up getting these made in the US? Or, know of a place that currently sells them?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

MATTHEWDD wrote:
Anyone ever wind up getting these made in the US? Or, know of a place that currently sells them?

Try contacting
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=67
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
MATTHEWDD wrote:

Try contacting
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=67

Amazing my reaction to that link when it comes up to .......... me!

Yes I still have that roo bar off the '69. Yes it still needs paint - probably more rust since my last post. Yes I still live in San Diego. So if you live close and are interested send me a PM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

MATTHEWDD wrote:

In the process of buying a house, if you're willing to pay what the laws of supply and demand dictate for a roo - let's talk. Lol
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
MATTHEWDD wrote:

In the process of buying a house, if you're willing to pay what the laws of supply and demand dictate for a roo - let's talk. Lol

Sure wish you weren’t like the furthest damn state away from me!!
There really should be someone making these things, us goobers want roo bars, I mean do I need to create an infestation of kangaroos throughout west texas?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chopzuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Is there specs out there in the form of a drawing, showing mounting points? I have the capabilities and a 74 I want to put one on, but would really like to see how it is mounted, for strength and safety purposes without "reinventing the wheel". Particularly like the style of the one from NY...can you post pictures of how it is mounted to your bus? I am a teacher at a center in Monticello, AR that has welding, machine tool, and Auto Shop (me), so getting it made really shouldn't be too hard. Once a pattern is done, and a jig is built, could turn them out pretty steady I would guess. I need it not for roos, but for whitetails and coyotes Very Happy
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Alot of photos have disappeared from the site, since PhotoBucket pulled their little stunt earleir this year.
Thankfully - after about 45 minutes of looking - I came across some of the original photos.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6561010#6561010

obnoxiousblue wrote:
A buddy of mine was skillful enough to fab up my mounts. Since my tire was mounted on the nose of the bus, he cut down the tabs that Fusername supplied on the Roo for his (also included) tire carrier.

Glenn A wrote:

I made a pair of mounting brackets out of square tubing. I drilled a 1/4" hole through each end.

I slide them onto the ends of the brushguard and clamped them. Once they where nice and straight I transfered the 1/4" holes through the guard.

Next I enlarged the hole with a holesaw. 7/8" I think. This allowed me to slide in small peices of 1/2" pipe. This will prevent the guard from crushing when the bolts are tightend.

Test fit.

Now I cut the bottoms off making them into channels. Those channles will get located to the chassis rails and welded in place.

So I got the channels cleaned up. Then clamped/bolted them in place. located the pipe in the center and tacked it. Then unbolted the channel and welded the pipe all the way around.

Then I cut off the extra tube. In order to get it to pivot down I had to clearence the end of the tube. I sliced it with a sawzall bent the end flat then welded it. now it can allow the brushguard to swing down.

Done! Mike come and get it! Cool

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joncurl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

I have two sets of Roo Bars for sale. I had both sets shipped directly from AU to Los Angeles when my Aussie friend moved to LA. One set is the factory VW, the other is a more heavy duty set, but needs mounting brackets welded on.

Both have been sand blasted to bare metal and were zinc coated, but are starting to rust & I am too busy to finish this project. If anyone is interested in either or both sets, needs pics., etc... please send me a PM. I'm in Los Angeles, CA and prefer not to ship these, but would be willing to drive up to 50 miles to meet.

Cheers,

Jon
rustednuggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Hello - seems to be an older post but a few questions:

Anyone making these in the US now?
Anyone have one for sale?
I have a 76 westy I want to put one on.

Thanks in advance!
Rustednuggs
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

rustednuggs wrote:
Hello - seems to be an older post but a few questions:

Anyone making these in the US now?
Anyone have one for sale?
I have a 76 westy I want to put one on.

Thanks in advance!
Rustednuggs

I'd love to put one on my 71! Very interested if anyone is building em stateside.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Project VW makes them in Eagle Creek, Oregon.

The last information I have for them is as followed:
(503) 915-9742

Haven't talked to the guy in a few years. But I recall the quality to be something I would put on my bus if it fit the design I was looking for.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Any welder who can’t rip this off in an hour should throw their welder into the nearest lake
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Any welder who can’t rip this off in an hour should throw their welder into the nearest lake
I think you need more than a welder to make these , no ?
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Yes you need more than a welder to make these. If you want one like the original Australian Sopru Roo bars which are in my opinion the best design then it's a little more complex than just welding up some steel tubing. Most if not all of the home made ones I have seen have a critical design flaw that the originals did not. The original ones have the horizontal part of the bar extend past the front pillars and just beyond sides of the Bus. In the event of a front end impact with a deer or rear ending a car it's impossible for these to make their way past the front pillars and take your legs off in the process. They also have a diagonal bend which will deflect a deer off to the side if you hit one less than dead center of the front of the Bus. The original tubing stock is extremely robust and a deer would have no chance against one of these. I am not saying that they will save your life in the event of a serious front end impact. But they will definitely save the front end of your Bus if you hit a deer at a reasonable speed. To replicate an original you would need to make up a jig and have a tubing bender. The other issue is to how you affix the bottom section to the underside of the Bus. I have seen several different ways that this was done depending on what year Bus they were mounted on.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Abscate wrote:
I think you need more than a welder to make these , no ?

You need someone better than me, who can put down a decent weld, but anyone who has a shop in my Town could make these.

Go local and find a person who makes railings and other metalwork. Just the shipping on something like this will be a big fraction of the made cost.

That’s why there isn’t someone making these in quantity and selling them.

Be happy to cost it out and then not get any orders.

It’s $60 an hour to cost out, 4 hour minimum.
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

I'm building one for a customer next week. If there is STILL interest (super old post) I can post up some pics.
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

fccperdiem wrote:
I'm building one for a customer next week. If there is STILL interest (super old post) I can post up some pics.

Please do brotha.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

fccperdiem wrote:

Yes, please. I'd love to see it.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
jpufnock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

Yes! Please. I have been looking for one for years!
Thanks
Jeff
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Roo Bar Reply with quote

fccperdiem wrote:

Is this the one for Brian?
If so, drop me a line. I was just talking to him. He’s going to need brackets to mount under the bus. They’re easier done while you have the bar than for us to do in his barn.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 41

Jump to: