Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

berniklau - [email protected] - Benco Racing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: BERNIKLAU
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: Today
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: berniklau - [email protected] - Benco Racing Reply with quote

saw this ad just now on the samba

5yr unlimited mi warranty
free regears for life (another splash screen)

link goes to FB page w. a last post on 3/20

web page does not display

What's the story?

what warranty do those that got their transmissions on 2/20 have?

Also wondering about an ad on samba for a business that seems closed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Stingray250
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: berniklau - [email protected] - Benco Racing Reply with quote

Ben builds trash...

Short story long....

Sent my 5-rib in due to a bad reverse engagement issue. I had gone into the trans myself due to complete loss of reverse after a Rancho rebuild and only 1200 miles. Rancho was ZERO help and only wanted more money to fix what apparently they left loose on the shift pivot. Couldn't afford 1800.00 at the time.

While in the trans after Rancho left me hanging and before sending it to Benco, I replaced the reverse rail, the reverse gear, the reverse pivot. All sourced from Weddle. Well my adjustment was off a bit on the reverse gear depth and the trans made some very bad noises. It shifted fine but the noise was not normal. I decided at this point that I was tired of taking this trans in and out and tearing it down and would attempt to locate a reputable trans rebuilder.

Enter Ben at Benco.

I discussed my issue with him and he agreed to "repair" my trans for 450.00 plus parts and shipping. I sent it to him. I took about three weeks for the turnaround before it was on my doorstep.

I installed the trans, set up the shift and proceeded to drive the car. Trans shifted fine and reverse was working.

Then it went to shit. I came out one morning only to find a donut sized puddle of gear oil under the car. At first I thought maybe the fill plug or vent, NOPE!!! Sealant between the gear housing and main case was leaking like a sieve.

I contacted Ben and asked wtf was goin on with this leak and who was going to pay for the shipping and my compensation for have to remove and re-install this trans YET AGAIN.

A day later I get an email stating that he will give me a full refund... What? I didn't ask for a refund I just wanted my shit fixed RIGHT and to be minimally compensated.

At this point the communication broke down and I was told I could send it back to him and he'd make it right or I could send it where ever I wanted to.

Being a Mechanic of over 27 years it hit me kinda funny as to why he would just cough up 1200.00 bucks with out blinking an eye or seriously wanting to know what the hell happened. RED FLAG!

So I broke it down myself... After having to CHISEL the pinion nut off do to what appeared to be permanent locktite being added to the nut, and over 350fttq being applied to the nut and it NOT budging, I proceeded to tear it down.

For starters, he used what looked like the cheapest sealant he could find, kinda looked like that little tube of FelPro sealant they give you in an old GM intake gasket set, you know, the stuff you throw in the trash? It gets worse! There were remnants of MY old grey Permatex ALL OVER the mating flanges, hence the MULTIPLE oil leaks as the old sealant pushed out the new when the flanges were put back together, the kicker? NO CUP SEALS!?!? Just a wad of silicone. These seals not only seal the flanges, but ALSO provide a "BUMP STOP" for the axle shaft to the diff...

Then there's the thievery... He STOLE my NEW Weddle Reverse rail, Reverse pivot arm, Chromoly Pinion Nut, Reverse pivot arm lock nut, Reverse gear, swapped out my perfectly good "OLD STYLE" paddle style reverse gear actuator for the late style solid pin which I was told is inferior to what I had and put ALL the jacked up DAMAGED parts (REVERSE RAIL, REVERSE PIVOT) I sent in with the trans for inspection, back in the trans and kept the good parts!!! Hell I'm not even sure at this point if any of the bearings were changed as he claimed.

To top it all off, at the last minute before he was to ship it back out I get a call from him trying to get my 4.57 r/p and my 1.32 third gear! Offering me a 4.86 and a 1.30 in exchange! Said my gears were "Chyna" and would snap... Dafuq?

Anyway, I'm sooooooooo glad I looked inside the trans myself and that I got my money back...

If you still choose to use this guy, MAKE DAMN SURE YOU GET ALL YOUR OLD "REPLACED" PARTS BACK AND A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF WHAT THE HELL HE'S DOIN!

BUYER BEWARE!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: