Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator nut keeps loosening
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Generator nut keeps loosening Reply with quote

I will drive my 66 for a few miles and will begin to hear a chatter coming from generator pulley. I will check it with my 19mm wrench and the nut is loose. I tighten and it comes loose again after a few miles. I just replaced the generator too. Stock pulley on generator and crank. Why is this happening ?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What torque are you using?

How many shims are there between the two halves? How many on the outside under the clamp?

My generator's nut is 21mm on the hex. Maybe the smaller contact area of your 19mm nut is biting into the clamp?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
What torque are you using?

How many shims are there between the two halves? How many on the outside under the clamp?

My generator's nut is 21mm on the hex. Maybe the smaller contact area of your 19mm nut is biting into the clamp?

3 shims inside, 5 outside. I meant it is alternator, not generator as I converted. I did not measure torque, I cinched it tight by hand with a 7 inch box wrench
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdog71 wrote:
3 shims inside, 5 outside.

I don't think that's enough. Find 5 more.
Since you're having trouble, get your torque wrench out and do it up to 40-47ftlbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
berliner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: pulley Reply with quote

Mine was doing the same thing,turned out the pulley had separated from the hub.It was a"Genuine German"part,manufactured in China.Pull it apart and have a look.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the belt, and both halves of the generator pulley. Grab the generator shaft and see if you can shake it around, to check for play which would indicate bad bearings.
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. New Made-in-China unit, so it is what it is. I think I am under-torqued. I didn't know you could get it up to 40-47ft lbs. I torqued it harder with a regular 1/2 inch socket wrench while I was out and it seems to be holding. The little 7 inch box wrench wasn't getting it done I will get my torque wrench out tonight.
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Tdog71 wrote:
3 shims inside, 5 outside.

I don't think that's enough. Find 5 more.
Since you're having trouble, get your torque wrench out and do it up to 40-47ftlbs.

Are the generators and alternators different? The alternator on my 66 only has 7? shims.
I too have 19 mm nut. and I've never used a torque wrench, just a big 19 mm wrench and a screwdriver to keep the pulley from moving and just tighten down the bastard. It never has come loose on me.

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phil wrote:

I too have 19 mm nut. and I've never used a torque wrench, just a big 19 mm wrench and a screwdriver to keep the pulley from moving and just tighten down the bastard.

Without a torque wrench, we don't know if his arm applies the same torque as yours.
When you're having trouble, eliminate sources of error.

The Phil wrote:
The alternator on my 66 only has 7? shims.

Did you know that there are two different shim thicknesses? Some are ½mm, some are ¼mm. If you have all of the thick ones, he may have the thin ones.
I've also seen a couple of different heights of the bell shaped clamp directly under the nut.

A good test is to assemble the top pulley and tighten the nut with no belt in place. If you don't have enough shims, the outer half will be loose.
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
The Phil wrote:

I too have 19 mm nut. and I've never used a torque wrench, just a big 19 mm wrench and a screwdriver to keep the pulley from moving and just tighten down the bastard.

Without a torque wrench, we don't know if his arm applies the same torque as yours.
When you're having trouble, eliminate sources of error.

The Phil wrote:
The alternator on my 66 only has 7? shims.

Did you know that there are two different shim thicknesses? Some are ½mm, some are ¼mm. If you have all of the thick ones, he may have the thin ones.
I've also seen a couple of different heights of the bell shaped clamp directly under the nut.

A good test is to assemble the top pulley and tighten the nut with no belt in place. If you don't have enough shims, the outer half will be loose.

the first part strikes me as a common sense thing that totally blew by me.

the second part was something I had no idea about. that's an interesting piece of trivia there. Thanks for learning me. Very Happy

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: