Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Craigslist find - hotrod 36
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WickedWagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist find - hotrod 36 Reply with quote

How did it end up doing Jerry? I never remember seeing the report.
G/CBGALT 134.606 MPH
G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH
H/CBGC 94.33 MPH
H/CBGALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBFALT 120.591 MPH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist find - hotrod 36 Reply with quote

If I remember right, Britt borrowed it and put it in one of his Ghias, cut o hole in the deck lid for the velocity stack, and brought iy to World of Speed. He was calling the engine "Jerry's 'Rivets' engine" after the buggy it was once mated to. If that's the one I'm thinking of (Jerry and Britt of course would know better than I) Brit raced it, I even jumped in and made a single 77mph pass. If the trans gearing would have been better, it might have run in the mid-80 mph range on the 1 mile course. Not a power house, but better than a stock 36er.
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist find - hotrod 36 Reply with quote

Britt Grannis drove Jerry Avis's "Rivets" 36hp based engine in his Ghia to a top speed of 84.294 miles per hour. Tom Simon got "Rivets" to81.058 miles per hour (his memory must be slipping!-sorry Tom).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist find - hotrod 36 Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
Britt Grannis drove Jerry Avis's "Rivets" 36hp based engine in his Ghia to a top speed of 84.294 miles per hour. Tom Simon got "Rivets" to81.058 miles per hour (his memory must be slipping!-sorry Tom).

I love the fact you keep track of this stuff, Burly. If we had to rely on my memory for the details, I'd be pulling off I-80 early at the truck scales, instead of exit 4 Very Happy
evanlomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist find - hotrod 36 Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 12/52 356 Coupe with a very early 2-piece Porsche motor in it. (Built 1950 for 51 model year) and it turns out that Gary Emory owned the motor and it was built by Roger Smith who was Mr. Emory’s service manager at Cotton Goff Porsche in the early 60’s I’ve been going through loads of history on Roger Smith and found this thread. Very cool stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist find - hotrod 36 Reply with quote

From where it came

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: